DMAS audio review

Add me to this list as well. This noise is driving me crazy, totally immersion breaking. I’ve contacted support, but they do not acknowledge that this is caused by my 8KX, even after directly asking if internal components had been changed after the production of mine. It is quite obvious that something has changed with later HMDs as many does not have this issue and is not mentioned in most reviews.

My 8KX is out of warranty ages ago, so I do not expect Pimax to honor anything in that regard. In my opinion, this HMD is defective and has lost value because of this. I do have one ace up my sleeve though, which is the VAT-mess some time ago. I still have not paid this amount and actually told support that I would not pay it either, until I got everything I had ordered, including the DMAS. When I had verified that everything was working as expected, I was going to pay the VAT. Needless to say that this will remain unpaid.

I think this was the last nail in the Pimax coffin for me. These products are not cheap toys, but high end enthusiast equipment and my expectations to QC are accordingly. Makes you wonder if they knew about this and delayed the DMAS on purpose, until most warranty of early 8KXs was expired…

7 Likes

Recalling pimax’s early promise (Ru Wang) that backers would the get same hmd as what retail customers receive.

1 Like

Well they did as the ones sent during KS were also sold to customers. Revisions do happen during a product life cycle but normally does not affect compatibility with base accessories.

Wasn’t saying otherwise, but illustrating that now it appears to be applicable as it seems early 8kXs appear to be flawed and that ain’t an acceptable retail product.
Even if there had been an announced revision of the 8KX, it would not excuse the original being flawed.

1 Like

Revisions are common,

But we are talking about a pre-ordered (not all are ks units) hmd, some are bundled with premium sound option that shipped late (after hmd warranty expired or barely any left ) only to find out the hmd and sound doesn’t work together as intended. And now the company is dodging the responsibility using expired warranty excuse, which months ago company said would look into this defect and provide solution, that has now gone silent. Normally the batch of hmd would have been recalled and offered replacement. Not using stall tactics to slap you with the expired warranty.

I’ve recently demoed VR to 3 friends when they showed interest but I’ve also made it clear pimax is not a recommended choice.

A side note. A friend left his quest 2 outside and sun burnt his screen through the lenses. The it was deemed user error but the support gave him a ‘last chance’ grace replacement.

4 Likes

Agreed as MS replaced early XB360s when there home grown gpu failes due to over heating issues switching over to Nvidia.

1 Like

any update on how it went replacing the 8kx/fixing dmas?

1 Like

They are still ‘processing’ since I made it clear that my warranty will have only started upon completion of my original order, which was for an 8KX WITH DMAS.

4 Likes

Good on you, I hope it gets sorted out for you.

1 Like

I submitted a ticket for my 8KX concerning the whine from the DMAS last year and never heard back from support. This week I received an email stating my case was just closed :rage:. I was a DMAS tester and also received the final version. Both versions of the DMAS have the exact same whine.

2 Likes

Yes as @PimaxUSA confirmed it is an issue with the power platform on some models. So they need to resolve this as the solution is exchange the Defective 8kX as they already have for some. Brain-dead there giving some folks hassles.

3 Likes

The response I originally received from Pimax Support was this on 12/15/2021:

1. Please make sure to connect the earphones correctly, namely, left earphone to the left side of the headset and right earphone to the right side of the headset.

2. Please make sure to connect the screwers tightly.

3. Please don’t connect the DMAS earphones with the Y spilitter, which came with the KDMAS.

My response right after that was this on 12/15/2021:

“I am escalating this issue, as the response I received was basically instructing me to plug the DMAS in. I obviously did all of that. With and without a splitter. Halfway plugged in, fully plugged in, I’ve tried all of the things mentioned in the Pimax forums.”

“I have an original 8KX and received the DMS headset and have a constant high pitched whine. I’ve tried multiple splitter cables, adjusting the sound settings in windows every way possible, tried different versions of Pitool, changing vga drivers, cables, changing firmwares, even tried a completely different gaming PC, and I just cannot get it to go away. As soon as I replace the DMAS to the SMAS, the sound is fine. Plug the DMAS in, and it’s a constant whine. I read many others experiencing this same issue, and that the issue was determined to be the older headset, and to send the 8KX in for replacement. I’d like to replace mine for a properly working 8KX please.”

Since then I heard nothing back. This week I received an email stating my case is now closed.

What was your Ticket number?

Unfortunately I can’t even tell you. I tried logging into Pimax Support and select Check Old Ticket Status, but it just times out every time I click it. I originally responded on 12/15/2021 using the “Escalate” link (complaint@pimax.com) in the Pimax email I received and pasted the full details of my issue. I never heard back after that.

The ticket was closed this past Saturday at 2:10AM ET. I’m ok with covering shipping or whatever is needed, I just want the DMAS to work properly with my 8KX.

1 Like

Okay will forward this. Maybe send @hammerhead_gal a pm with your email account used on pimax support page.

2 Likes

Thank you Helio, you’ve always been great. :clap:

3 Likes

Your quite welcome! Thank you.

:beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

So I’m still in a back & forth with Pimax… After some positive moves in getting asked more technical questions and including running some scenarios and submitting logs, I was finally informed on 15th March that they should have me send them my 8KX for testing, followed by either repair or replacement if the issue is identified.

This is a huge step forward, but in the last 3 weeks I have had a ridiculous back & forth with them asking me to provide quotes for shipping the 8kx to them, I’ve done what I can but I’m being given an address in China, in Chinese script - even after putting this through a translator I have no idea what to put into a fedex website to generate a quote as I don’t know what corresponds to road, postcode etc. They know my address and I have given it in an idiot proof format:

House Number: X
Street: XXXXXXXXXX
Town/City: XXXXX
County: XXXX
Postcode: XXXXX

So they could easily have generated the quote, but basically 3 weeks wasted with the faulty 8kx still in my hands.

I’d like to point out at this stage that I opened this ticket in NOVEMBER.

@PimaxUSA , @PimaxQuorra , you think there’s any chance your support function will improve any time soon? Because I sure as hell am unlikely to go for any of your products again given this headache.

2 Likes

After all these years Pimax still can’t manage a simple RMA? @PimaxQuorra

2 Likes

Agreed they should be able to use a relatively local shipping destination. Ie a NA or EU location as they have employees/office of sorts in both places.

2 Likes