DMAS audio review

I believe headset as that seems to be the source.

1 Like

i think i have a newer headset from 2020ā€¦(i sold my first one and bought it again after the 90 hz update came lol)

1 Like

A bit quiet from pimax, considering how many ppl reported the whine.

5 Likes

Thats true,they could at least reply to the people who are effected(and there are alot,i am lucky this time) some people waited two years for delivery for the DMAS.

Otherwise how can we trust the new pimax 12k and support etcā€¦ @PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA

Or maybe did i miss the response from pimax?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve unplugged DP and muted, either interference on USB or indeed the HMD sound is always there

1 Like

So would seem to be the internal usb audio or perhaps shielding on the internal audio wires. That is a guess.

1 Like

There must be some different components inside the later produced 8kx headsets i thinkā€¦
I remember my old pimax 8kx(from the kickstarter) was also worse then my latest.

I have no wining in the DMAS,and the volume is more then enoughā€¦

1 Like

Fair enough, and the installation of course is dead simple - at least for the official part; fixing the missing bass with some kind of closed ear construction is a different story.

I just need to put my 8KX back in action - currently the G2 is my work horse, for convenience reasons.

3 Likes

Try to plugboth in directly to L+R ports not using the splitter cable from the kdmas

Got the whine and ordered same month as you.

S/N is 2075002380XXXX for reference.

1 Like

No whine, but whilst swapping stuff around trying vrears and back to dmas I did have a couple of times where I did hear a whine which was cleared with me messing with plugs.

2075002560xxxx

5 Likes

I just installed the DMAS and had the whine. After that I looked for this thread and found out issue with the side audio connectors from strap to headset.
After a little pushing out and in I found a position in which both sides have original volume and do not whine.

EDIT: I noticed though that both sound channels (left and right) are pushed to both speakers so I have no spatial sound. :weary:
EDIT2: So fully pushed in - no longer whining, Left and right channels separately are both high volume, center (both channels) are low volume.
Partially pushed out - no whining, same high volume across left, right, center (both).
Source of check: Left / Right Stereo Sound Test (Online)

4 Likes

I have just sent Ticket to Pimax to find out about the mono sound and whether it could be fixable or by design.

1 Like

Funny part is, it looks like these will be the same speakers on the 12K. So you would think they would have more interest in fixing it.

based on the silence, I think they knew the source of the problem is inside the hmd and its likely they will fix the source of this in the 12k.

3 Likes

Like buzzing. haha ā€¦

I currently decided to keep the DMAS on out of convenience and the slight buzzing in right ear is mostly only audible when volume is low.

Otherwise they are loud enough for me, and as you say very clear on the upper end of the spectrum.

The VR Ears are louder, but I notice I have to lower their vol to 80% or the high end sounds scratchy like its straining.

2 Likes

So far Pimax posted me this video to try some more and I used it to tweak the connector depth of the connectors realtime until I found a very particular positions where I get stereo sound.
As you cans see Right is so far unplugged that the first insulator ring on the connector is showing, which makes it loose and a bit hard to keep in the very exact position needed.

The only thing I liked about the DMAS is when I removed it for the KDMAS. The volume is awful, the bass is worse, and no number of boom3d surround BS things can make it better. What is the biggest shame is that Pimax charges $100 for the upgrade.

3 Likes

Unplugging DMAS a bit didnĀ“t help me. I can be without sound, or with noise.
On end, I went back to Vive DAS.

But then happened something interesting; my Vive DAS was not recognized by PC; I still had that noise. I tried to restart PC several times, and replugged headphones a lot of times, but that noise was there whole day.
Next day and next replugging, and suddenly my headphones were not more with noise (+loudness level went down!)

Conclusion; The constant background noise is there only when HMD ā€œthinksā€ there is DMAS connected. (even if right connector is not connected)

Thought I would add my DMAS experience too, since I finally got a chance to install last night. It took about 26 days to arrive. Had read this thread a few weeks back when people started receiving theirs, so was familiar with the whine issue and the potential things to try fix it if it occured. The hardware install was easy, and I did it all with power off and unplugged from PC. Booted up and unfortunately, I could already very vaguely hear the whine even just before putting on my head. Bugger! Spent some time while playing iracing, fiddling around with the auxiliary plugs in the HMD (pulling slightly out, comparing sides, etc), rebooting pitool and the HMD several times, and also unplugging and re-plugging the USB cables. I could get rid of the whine by pulling the auxiliary plugs out a little, but only at the expense of losing around 50% volume (way too quiet at 100%) and/or spatial audio. Actually, it wouldnā€™t even give me 100% volume back when I wanted it after a while of messing around, but thankfully ā€œfixedā€ it by doing the USB unplug/replug.

So yep, add another one to the list of whiners haha. I will say though, when I do use it with the whine, I can not hear it while racing and I feel the audio is loud and crisp enough for me. I can see how this could be a real pain if you were playing quieter, maybe stealth like games though. But for now, and since I 99% play sims with constant background noise, this solution is tolerable and good enough for me. Not saying the whine is acceptable, but at least the audio is not useless anymore, unlike the standard audio, which was just unacceptably tinny and thin in depth. Iā€™ll probably have a tinker with an equalizer too, as many have suggested.
Also, for reference, my HMD was one of the first batches delivered, as I ordered mine on the day of or day after the pre-order announcement. Cheers

4 Likes

i realy have a feeling that all older pimax 8kx units are affected with this problem.

3 Likes