Dissapointed in the quality? Performance?

Last time then:

1. Sweviver said that if you simply remove the lens, 80% of the panel surface you see there (so the part exposed currently by the plastic) can be seen through the lens when you put the lens back on.
  2. I said that it seems that the plastic is angled at about 90 degrees, in other words, that the panel part that’s exposed by the plastic seems about the same size as the lens diameter
  3. We know the lens diameter, so we can then estimate how big the surface is that can be seen through the lens.
  4. Then all we need to know is the real panel size:
    usage = size of the part that can be seen through the lens/total panel size.

Then I said that the panel is most likely that 5.7" panel from Sharp that Sony is using too. So with all this you could then calculate a very first estimate of panel usage, which I did above. Please keep in mind that in no way I’m pretending this to be exact. We will only really know when somebody disassembles the HMD. For example it might turn out to be a different panel form factor. Or maybe the plastic actually IS angled so that the exposed surface is bigger than the lens. It’s hard to tell from Swe’s video. And lastly, we don’t know how accurate Swe’s guestimated 80% is.

1 Like

Umm… Sj is correct on measuring panel size vs what can be seen of the full panel.

There was a topic on reddit about vr display reporting being inaccurate as the entire panel is not viewable by the lenses.

1 Like

A bit off topic, but does anyone know why aren’t they using curved displays in HMDs?
StarVR is using 4 displays, but why not just two curved ones?

1 Like

Yes, we know that the full panel can’t be seen through the lenses - lenses are more rounded at the corners and the panels are square so we lose the “rounded” part. However the physical dimension of the lens or its hole bears absolutely no fucking relation to its panel usage because IT BENDS LIGHT.

I will do a diagram later. But this is first year physics, its like talking to a room of 12 year olds trying to explain this.

And nobody is claiming that such relation (normally) exists. It only exists when the plastic is angled at 90 degrees.

You still don’t understand it. Re-read my 4 points and re-read them again. That’s all I can suggest at this moment.

If I had to guess, it’s that flat panels are easier to manufacture and are made in greater quantities. It would be interesting if its possible to make a HMD that uses curved panels instead of lenses!

Point 3 “we know the lens diameter” which DOES NOT help you, at all

If sweviver says you can see 80% of the panel through the lens then the usage is 80%, you don’t need any other dimensions to calculate the 80%

Why not ? If the plastic is angled at 90 degrees, then that’s EXACTLY the same diameter of the panel part that’s exposed by the plastic.

BECAUSE A LENS BENDS LIGHT

what are you not getting

The physical width and length of the lens tells you nothing about panel usage because it bends the light meaning what is bigger on one side looks smaller on the other

When I use binoculars do the objects on the other side ACTUALLY get bigger? No of course not because the lenses make them look bigger, they don’t physically change

Surely it’d be possible. Aren’t there even flexible panels? Just bend’em mofos! :grin:

1 Like

A lens bends light, so how does that make things any different exactly?

1 Like

What does this have to do with the visible part of the panel?

1 Like

Seriously, please read something about how lenses work, this is really really simple and it is like trying to explain it to a 5 year old. I need to draw you a picture but I can’t do that on my phone right now.

You’re talking about what you see through the lens, so the virtual image. What does that have to do with all this?

1 Like

The lens can only bend the light that hits the lens that is not occluded.

5 Likes

Exactly. It doesn’t matter how the lens bends the light. In fact it doesn’t matter at all how it looks through the lens. The only thing that matters are the outer edges of the virtual image (so the part seen through the lens) and finding those on the real image (so the panel) to determine the visual part by the lens. If you know that and you know the panel size then you can calculate panel usage. It’s really that simple.

3 Likes

Oculus patented the idea & the software Dev that attended the Berlin meet posted am article on curved display challenges/issues.

He did though compare quality to the xtal & was as they say impressed.

1 Like

StarVR is using 2 displays but rendering 4 viewpoints.

So… what are you trying to do? Alter the render resolution so we don’t waste GPU resources on non-visible pixels? Increase FOV? Find the ideal dimensions of for the panels to get a bit less SDE?

What is being occluded? The lens is in front of the panel not behind any plastic.