Dissapointed in the quality? Performance?

I don’t like to be negative, but i am really dissapointed about the perfomance on games, even with low settings.
Having to go back to older hmd’s for the better experience???

Same for the sde, which was a selling point of the Pimax.

And i can’t figure why games need to render at a higher resolution than rhe default of the 5k+ screens.

Also very dissapointed that it’s impossible to use Vorpx.
Maybe there will be updated drivers to fix this. I was really looking out to play Crysis and other great games on the HMD.

How are your thoughts, guys?

1 Like

I don’t like to, but end up doing a lot of tinkering with vorpX. I know some games, such as rocket league, will run. There is usually hidden potential for unlocking performance with minimal visual loss.

The 5k+ looks like it will be my choice. And I’m very happy to hear they didn’t use a cheap mic. Totally done with crappy mic audio.

2 Likes

All the reviewers said the SDE isn’t a problem.

Because of the distortion correction. Unless you render at a higher res, you lose too much detail in the final image.

@VoodooDE used VorpX with Kingdom Come Deliverance. It was unplayable, but this is one of the hardest game to run out there (it uses the CryEngine, and doesn’t seem to optimize anything on high settings). BUT it did technically run.

Also, I think Pimax has some work left with PiTools. Things like Brainwarp may help out a lot. Personally, I’d also like to be able to disable the left screen entirely (as I don’t have a left eye). But I’d prefer Pimax focus on getting the HMDs out to our hands and the accessories after that. Then tune up the software. I’m happy with where things are at present.

3 Likes
5 Likes

??? Uh, I didn’t read any of that from the reviews.

The VoodooDE review did a nice job of showing the FPS you get from different settings… His LOWEST shown was what he called “vive pro” resolution.

On the rendering its the same as rendering for the vive and rift… In order to mitigate the laughably low res these HMD’s have you must set SS to really high levels. With these you can get away with SS levels that are not inflated to such a degree.

In the MRTV images you can see nicely the SDE on the 8k is reduced dramatically (but not gone) and the 5k+ was only slightly better than the Vive Pro but incredibly better than the rift and vive.

I guess I saw/read different reviews.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s because of the comparing between the 5k and Vive pro. Can be first impressions. Now looking at the last part of the voodoo de review and feeling a bit better. But still not very happy about the project cars 2 and the Vorpx performance. :thinking:

1 Like

Project Cars 2 is brutal even on Vive Pro & such.

What Gpu is @VoodooDE running? Sebastian upgraded to 1080 ti & Sweviver has a killer 1080 ti (msi gaming-X)

1 Like

He mentioned running a 1080 Ti at some point.

1 Like

Awesome thanks for helping me get upto speed. Still watching @SweViver’s very detailed review (no surprise it’s long) :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes 1080 Ti Founders Edition

2 Likes

Im hoping to get the Zotac 1080 TI mini

1 Like

VorpX is cool- I have owned it for a very long time and love it…but you can’t judge Pimax for a secondary market hack that makes non-VR games work in VR. That has nothing to do with them. I am sure it will happen at some point. I hear your points on the performance. I think it’s just something that will require next gen GPU’s and the top end of the current gen.

1 Like

learning how to setup favorite games, especially simulators is not a 15 min. task sometimes it takes days of experiments, tweaks, searching on dedicated forums. Non of reviewing youtubers are hardcore sim racing/flight gamers so relax…We will find proper settings with acceptable framerates.

7 Likes

They also have a version tge artic storm that has a liquid cooling block.

I think it’s safe to say the 5K plus is a great success. The 8k on the other hand is a failure. So much lost potential

1 Like

Watch all of @SweViver’s review. It depends on application of use. Sim games & others with extreme distance he said the 8k has the edge for example. Just get popcorn & a comfy chair like Lord of the Rings it’s long & good. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

3 Likes

Will watch it all tonight I just think they should re think the 8k design. That’s the dream the’ve been selling for the past year. Perhaps go full steam with the 5k and wait a little longer till the right components are available. I’m really not keen to invest in Gen 1.5 VR. Especially with all the announcements being made!!

Amen to that. My 3gb 1060 requires a lot of optimization, but it pays off when a budget gpu can do 4k 50-60hz after tweaking.

[quote=“Heliosurge, post:16, topic:8265”]

Sim games & others with extreme distance he said the 8k has the edge for example.
…[/quote]

Sounds to me, though, that every time he brings that up, he is comparing the 8k with a huge render target, to the 5k+ with minimum… If that is the case, he is not comparing the headsets at all, but the images he has had the games render, where the 5k+ would benefit at least as much as the 8k, from the for-all-intents-and-purposes ‘supersampling’, that the latter alone got.

I can buy that some softness gives the brain room to fill in the blanks, rather than necessarily “revealing the stark ugly truth”, so to speak (compare to the resistance to high framerates in cinema), and that possibly the values that go into each pixel in the transport image could be differently “tuned”, in discrete sampling density, to whatever they end up, but overall I definitely feel something doesn’t add up.

(EDIT: There is also the matter that a triangular subpixel layout (like in an old CRT television) gives you three axes of delimiting lines, whereas an RGB stripe (like in the Trinitrons™ that supplanted them) only gives you two, which could be perceived better suited to represent round, flowing shapes, without hitting you in the face with distinct orthogonality. :P)

Amazing how such a long and extensive presentation can raise more questions than it answers. :9

3 Likes

As someone who wants to keep with the 8K, the big frustration is taking a risk on a device that will be amazing vs when a new iteration of HMD’s come out. Mostly, I am optimistic and planning for the long game.

My gut says the 2080ti will not be quite enough to overcome the 8K requirements, but the 3080ti (or whatever it will be called) probably will. In which case, we are talking about needing a new GPU in about a year or so. Additionally, we are likely to see some substantial performance gains as Pimax revises their software (and release their reprojection tool) and games/steam provides updates on their end.

I can’t see hardware ready to deal with an 8K X for a few years- even if Pimax ship it in say, a year’s time. The 8K X backers are likely to have the same issues as the current 8K backers. So it’s a matter of downgrading to enjoy more right now, or suffer for a year and upgrade into the 8K.

3 Likes