Dissapointed in the quality? Performance?

Well finding a solution is only possible if you know the problem. Right now people are already talking about better upscalers etc, while that really seems premature at this point. It really might be panel usage that’s the key problem.

Ok thanks for clearing that up. As I guessed, someone had had the same idea before me :unamused:

1 Like

Yes, this is correct, see how nowhere in this post you’ve mentioned the SIZE of the lens, which you have tried to use in every calculation you’ve done. You need to measure the panel used and the panel size, NOT the size of the lens.

LOL, did you actually read my 4 points? Again: if the plastic is angled at 90 degrees to the panel, then the part exposed by the plastic is the EXACT same size as the lens diameter. THAT is why the lens diameter matters (in this specific case)

1 Like

Settle down. Because these are special shaped lenses yes the lens size can be equal to the veiw port of the display.

Regular headsets use smaller diameter lenses than the viewable area. So the view expands until it reaches the final circle. For example the 4k uses 53mm lenses (not measured) where as the circular part of the panel might equal 83mm.

The 5k/8k due to having angled displays & much larger view area the lens size could be closer to the amount of the panel exposed to the lens.

1 Like

If the panel is much larger thsm can be seen then yes you need panel size to determine actual panel utilization. For example if i have a 3 inch circle in a 4" panel i am losing more panel than putting a 3 inch panel.

Simple geometry no physics required.

Could you two take this debate into a PM? AFTER you have settled this between yourselves, prefereably with a bit more scientific evidence/diagrams/calculations/ and any number of things, then feel free to share your results.

4 Likes

AAAAAAAARGH!

NO, the physical size of the lens bears no relation to how much of the panel it “sees” because its curved, its a fucking lens for christs sake.

Confusing physics; when your talking geometry & area.

CAN BE SEEN yes. But a lens bends light, a 3" lens can “see” a 4" panel.

My 2" glasses can see a 65" TV at 1 meter. I’m not losing 63" of my TV.

Ok with a picture then, look at this:

Imagine that the upper circle is the lens. The floor is the panel. The yellow part is the plastic lens holder, so the part between lens and panel. It’s angled 90 degrees to the floor (=panel). Wouldn’t the part exposed by the plastic be the same diameter as the lens? In other words, the upper circle should have the same diameter as the lower circle, if the angle of the plastic is 90 degrees.

Really heinous considering curved displays have existed for a long time.

3 Likes

This picture is exactly what is wrong with your suggestion, the two circles should NOT be the same size, just like the inner and outer parts of a set of binoculars are not the same size.
The lenses take more light/area from one side (where the panel is) and concentrate it to where your eyes are.

The lens size maybe similar in size to the viewport bezel.

If they are then that basically negates the purpose of using a lens, it would be piss poor design.

Look at the video here: Pimax 8K & 5K+ Full Review | The Most In-Depth Pimax 8K vs 5K+ Review and Analysis you will find! - YouTube and tell me that they don’t look equally. It looks like the sides are angled roughly 90 degrees, see also the shot after this time index that Swe shows. The upper side is clearly angled roughly 90 degrees

Because you arent seeing with and without the lens looking at the exact same image being displayed on the headset.

The physical dimension of the lens tells you nothing about how much of the panel it “sees” just like the size of my glasses tells you nothing about the amount of my 65" TV i can see.

??? This is not about with our without the lens. This is about whether the 2 circles in the picture I posted above have the same diameter. That’s the case if the angle of the plastic is 90 degrees. If anything, the upper part of the plastic even seems to run inwards:

I was refeeing to viewport. A 3" circle in a 4" panel would for sake of simplicity be using say a 2" lens to see a 3 inch circle. Thus a 3 inch panel has better utilization than a 4 inch.

As demonstrated with the 5k+ vs the 5k panel size. Smaller panel that fits viewport equals better utilization. See pimax berlin meetup @mixedrealityTV interview with Robin.

Its a LENS it BENDS the light coming from the panel, so it is no longer a straight line up from the panel like that, its at an angle.