Dissapointed in the quality? Performance?

Did you try the pimax 4k? Try that and THEN tell me there’s a problem with its scaler. That thing looks really good, Spanish testers were the only testers of the bunch with a PImax 4k. That’s the main reason they were so disappointed with the Pimax 8k.

Don’t get me wrong here, it’s of course still possible that the scaler IS the problem, because Pimax seems to have switched vendors. However if I’d have to bet, I’d bet on the panels as the culprit. We’ll hopefully find out in a few weeks.

Nope, and I’m not going to (I’ll get my 5K eventually). I’ve used scalers for years. They were terrible in 2000, I’m sure they are better now but still less sharp than I’m willing to accept. Software scalers, hardware scalers. It all looks terrible compared to native render and native display resolutions. Outside of AI scaling (which no one can convince me will be inside the latency requirements), it just isn’t possible to create as sharp an image. You can get something that doesn’t look god awful, but sharpness won’t be as good.

2 Likes

Well Spanish testers compared the Pimax 4k to the Pimax 8k and based on that concluded there’s a serious problem with the Pimax 8k. Which we’re now seeing in the reviews, since everybody seems to prefer the Pimax 5k.

No frikking way you can show me a 1440p native HMD that looks better than the pimax 4k. Not even close.

Ship your 4K to one of the testers and we’ll see. I’ll bet you a beer (redeemable only in WI, USA).

Well Xunshu is saying they’re shipping within 2 weeks so we’ll know pretty soon. Spanish testers will be among the first to receive the final unit.

2 Likes

One of the problems with super sampling in Flight Combat Simulators is spotting far bandits because they are represented as a small grey dot (2~4 pixels) and after the SS, you will have only a 2 blurred blue pixels. So I guess *k will be not better for this type of games.

The trouble though Sj is while you have the deepoon e3 to compare the 4k to. It’s oled. We need a qhd lcd headset to compare image quality of the 4k. We know pentile increase sde. We need an rgb to compare to. One of the WMR lcd hesdsets might give a better idea on how good the 4k upscaling actually is.

They need to recompare with an m2 to see if their opinion changes or not on the early m1 assessment.

Correct. But they supposedly will be among the first to receive the final unit so we’ll know soon.

3 Likes

Some allow themselves the luxury of criticizing without having a clue what they are talking about.

Don’t bother too much to explain it they won’t understand.

2 Likes

I already have a full sized case, so it should get plenty of air. Also its rather more affordable than other TI’s. I was also considering doing an undervolt on it if I buy it.

1 Like

A friend of mine sent a message to another tester to tell him that he would send his 4k for testing, but refused the invitation for lack of time.

If you watched SweViver’s review, the lenses looked ridiculously easy to remove, so if people want to test out a different set, I think they will be more than able to do so. I posted a link in @Neoskynet’s thread to a place to buy various kinds of optics, so this is going to be very interesting.

3 Likes

Well it’s not about removing the lenses, is about removing the lens holders to expose the panel. That probably is a bit more work but still, tons of people disassembled their Pimax 4k so I’m sure it will happen with the 8k too.

1 Like

Well I think the Pimax 8K has never been the “safe” option. That’s the Vive/Rift. The 8K is by Pimax own words an “Enthusiast” headset so should be seen as such.

The VR industry has also moved very slow on improving high def, wide FOV VR because there was never much demand for it. There is now. Even NVidea have started blabbing on about all the VR performance enhancements over the last 3 weeks so I imagine the 2080Ti will be a great GPU for VR over the next year.

As for SDE, Its better than almost everything else for the consumer market and comes with that super wide FOV too so not sure why you are so disappointed? What option do you have? Maybe downgrade to a tiny FOV Pimax 4K as that has erm,…800 PPI or something but then it has many other downsides in comparison so not really comparable.

1 Like

Yes, but how do you measure the “visible” part of the panel when you are using a lens that BENDS LIGHT, you need to measure the actual visible area you can see THROUGH the lens, not the size of the hole the lens fits in to because it is in no way fucking related.

Measuring the panel doesn’t gain you anything until AFTER you can measure the amount of the panel thats being used, which you can not do by measuring the physical dimensions of either the lens or the hole the lens fits in to.

Of course, visible part of the panel through the lens vs total panel size.

1 Like

Exactly, but you keep banging on about the physical dimension of the lens or its hole, which doesn’t help you with anything.

That’s there part where you didn’t understand what I’m saying. That was to get a rough idea of the used panel surface.

1 Like

Thats the part where you don’t seem to understand what I’m saying, its not a rough idea of anything, its just completely misleading.