Cyberpunk 2077 VR Enhancement Guide

Update, I messaged Luke and found that it’s not likely that the AER2 will resolve the TAA/DLSS issue. However it will resolve the motion/rotation/ghosting. Looks like we’re stuck with the vapor/shimmer/halo for Cyberpunk unless we turn off DLSS/TAA and take the performance hit as well as get the AA flicker. (Personally I can’t stand TAA off, nor the performance loss of DLSS off, but to each their own). Also, I do note that the higher the PPD I achieve the less noticeable the shimmer/vapor/halo effect is. It’s also less pronounced in parallel projection mode, but the performance hit it is very strong. Maybe someday when there are no more flat games Luke will revisit the idea of adding all the fixes required for DLSS/TAA as he did for RDR2! :pray:

2 Likes

I believe it, I play alot of non VR games this way.

I recommend taking it one step further.

Get virtual Desktop, install super depth 3d for reshade.

Its what you experienced but with stereoscopic depth.

Paradise Decay has a tutorial

2 Likes

I just tried cyberpunk by this method. Well its something worth to try. Everything in close looks very nice, but driving feels strange. FOV maybe to low and driving with car feels very slow, but easy to control.

1 Like

Cyberpunk released the update for dlss3 12 hours ago, but im not home to test! At least one user said it went flatscreen - can anyone else test?

Update another also confirms lukes mods is currently busted by the update. Hope for fix soon!

3 Likes

Luke has released AER2 for Cyberpunk!
The difference is enormous for me. I can now do 50FPS, which AER 1:3 mode takes all the way to 150FPS or 75hz.

Time to brag: Previously was doing 27PPD for 75FPS(rendered) which was only 37.5 in each eye, naturally much ghosting.

Now getting to 32PPD with AER2 (1/3 mode) taking 50FPS(rendered) to 150FPS, 75 in each eye. There’s occasional artifacts, naturally, but even those are smaller in my opinion than the ghosting that was previously occurring everywhere.

Now, if he would just consider Fixing the TAA/DLSS Haloing :slight_smile:

I must recommend his Patreon - it should be nearly compulsory for anyone with a Pimax that wants to play AAA games (and doesn’t mind no motion controls). Best $10 you can spend.

I don’t have VorpX, but I don’t think they offer anything like this in term of performance.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, going to re-subscribe for a month to get this, looking forward to playing it again :+1:

2 Likes

On my honor you wont regret it.

2 Likes

Just got it yesterday for cyberpunk. Seems pretty good, although the Halo effect is a bit hard to get past. I have it running at 1/2 AER at about 3k per eye, solid 90hz.

Can you provide any insight into the difference between the PPD setting in the RealVR menu, and the resolution setting in Cyberpunk’s menu? I find the latter affects the image quality massively and for the former I don’t really see much change.

Also, what settings do you use in general now? I have it with the default settings applied by the config bat. Do you use DLSS? I have the runtime set as OpenXR, so might use the OpenXR toolkit and turn off DLSS. Need to mess around some more. Overall it’s pretty solid now, once I tweaked it a bit, but the halo effect is close to a deal breaker for me personally. I’ll see if I can get used to it, it varies pretty wildly in its impact. Also will take a while to get used to aimming with my head ha,

1 Like

The resolution in the game menu is useless in my opinion. It doesn’t correct for the shape of the FOV for one.
Unfortunately, anytime you change any in-game video/graphics setting it will bonk the PPD setting back to default in RealVR, so set your in-game graphics settings first.

For me I use DLSS Ultra Performance and then steal the resolution back in the Real VR Menu using the PPD slider - Ending up with ~30PPD in Normal FOV. The level of DLSS doesn’t affect the haloing, but the PPD does. Largely the reason I prefer DLLS Ultra Performance is not that it better than Quality in appearance, but similar in appearance to the same FPS in other mode - but with one very important difference - consistency. So rather than get caught up in the minutiae of whether DLSS looks better or worse in any given mode I simply noted that the frame times were more consistent, letting me climb higher on the PPD and overall fidelity.
I also don’t use ray tracing yet. (I will try it at a later time).

Here’s my post from the Patreon regarding a suggested method for dialing it all in.

I might suggest anyone trying CP with AER2 for first time: (note these will not be your final settings just a jumping off point and a nice method to get there perhaps).
Turn on display FPS in the overlay tab, look for it in the top left of your HUD
If you have an Nvidia card use DLSS = Ultra performance (it will look like poop at first, ignore that for the time being)
Ray tracing Off (again for the moment)
Motion Blur Off.
AER2 1/3 mode. (trust me, at least at first)
Start with 7 PPD knowing it will look like crap and increase by 2-3 PPD until your FPS counter dips below exactly 2/3rds of your HMD refresh rate (60FPS on 90Hz HMDs for example). (To see the fps you need to exit the menus so that you see the true fps you’ll have while playing). Once you see it dipping below that FPS, simply lower the PPD a bit (1 or 2 PPD).
Then start fiddling with turning other things up and rebalancing in the same way.

Note that nothing (other than mono mode or manually turning off TAA/DLSS fully in config settings) eliminates “haloing”, that’s a unavoidable side effect of AER vs. DLSS/TAA.

Don’t forget to write/remember down your PPD as you go however, for some reason it doesn’t stick when you change your video settings or restart (currently)

1 Like

How does the PPD look vs lower? Iirc Limax 8kX is around 23 to 25 ppd?

doesnt hook for me sadly

1 Like

So I get that 33PPD is just 11PPD upscaled to 33PPD, but I feel that the quality comes out somewhere in between at somewhere in between on performance. I just feel it’s slightly in favor of DLSS, witht he bonus that the frametimes are more consistent. Just an observation. It’s purely a matter of taste. Hell the steps you take look more like an ingredient list. Flavor it however you like! Enjoy>

1 Like

Make sure you have 1.61 (I think there’s a subset h version, but it’s not displayed on the main screen).

Also make sure you are putting the REALVR mod in the correct directory - that is: %game%\bin\x64\

i have,does the real fluid thing doesnt work anymore?

the 8kx doesnt hook with that.

Cool so similar in a fashion to SuperSampling. Was just curious how things functioned with exceeding max hmd ppd. Thanks.

The PPD itself is so high that it is above the Crystals resolution (even with the proposed 140% for barrel distortion/correction with steamVRs resolution), I hope to try this when/if it ever arrives. I mean, its not truly 35PPD since its with DLSS, but still there may be a benefit, but PPD means multiple thing these days (for example 35PPD claimed by Pimax with 2800 pixels over 98 degrees.)

1 Like

PPD has always been peak PPD fwiw. I don’t think any headset exists with a uniform PPD.

1 Like

I today noted two more really BIG tweaks netting me some BIG gains:

One was to back off the DLSS to Balanced, the other was to back down the Screen Space Reflections to HIGH.

Now I can do 28PPD. Normal FOV @50FPS on @75Hz all day.

1 Like

man this AER 2 is crazy good after i optimised the settings etc,i kid you not cyberpunk VR mod on a 4090 with the 8kx looks way better than every single PSVR2 game

2 Likes