Cyberpunk 2077 VR Enhancement Guide

i just installed this game with luke vrs mod,what a blast !

I did let TAA on and set the resolution the highest ingame under video settings…

i also did at this config overhaul file,and select optimized within the file…

Config Overhaul for Cyberpunk 2077 at Cyberpunk 2077 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

I like to know how this will look on the pimax chrystal ! Should be amazing… @SweViver @hammerhead_gal

4 Likes

Which FOV did you use it ???

1 Like

First at small, but now at normal… and at 90hz,only a pitty that little ghosting on objects and people but for the rest the game is a rush in VR

3 Likes

Dont install the new update from cyberpunk 2077 it did break the vr mod :frowning_face: :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Okay luke already patched cyberpunk…its working again !

2 Likes

Except now I have to rejoin the Patreon after just cancelling in October :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I tried disable taa and bloom … got rid of the ghosting but now everything in the distance - plants and stuff have a terrible shimmer effect … what am i doing wrong… And is the DSLL download still valid and usefull?

TAA literally fixes that flickering you’re seeing. It’s a trade-off. @LukeRoss said that the time-commitment for a fix for the TAA/DLSS errors are well-beyond reason. I think we were lucky to get them for RDR2 - and you can see how that turned out - I have hope that the AER 2.0 may fix the TAA/DLSS issue as it will have a proper frame in reference for TAA/DLSS? There’s a lot of reasons to be excited about AER 2.0. I imagine there will be many many features to make work with each mod as he revamps the library to be AER2.0 compatible. Have patience and watch the forums. Luke is no slouch. AER2 is a huge leap in Flat-to-VR and has incredible potential. Making any game into a proper VR with 3D and motion reprojection/interpolation at the same time is a holy grail and is indeed Flat-to-VR 2.0. When it comes to CyberPunk I will consider it to be a Banner Day for VR in general!

I thought so myself so why is this a recommandation in this thread? The flickering is even worse then the ghosting.
Yeah i think i wait for the aer 2.0 update for cyberpunk then… he sayed it will be released early january

Probably because people realized that TAA/DLSS were the “culprit” behind the shimmer to the parallax of near objects, which is terribly distracting. LukeRoss made it clear in his site that it took forever to resolve in RDR2, so people took it upon themselves to disable TAA entirely. What wasn’t mentioned though is that modern VR wouldn’t be possible without TAA. It’s very amenable to the way our eyes see detail in the periphery so without TAA things appear to flicker as the eye is very sensitive to changes in contrast, vs just detail. TAA is nearly a requirement for VR, but it relies on processing two frames, which is disrupted by AER. I would not recommend disabling TAA in any VR game. It is noteworthy that TAA - even when incorrect due to frame alternation is still better than what we had prior to TAA.

Also of note AER2 is coming to Spidey today; albeit with some things not yet automated. A very impressive feat.

Can’t wait until he brings it to Cyberpunk.

1 Like

Has anyone tried playing Cyberpunk in non-VR, but still in headset? I did that accidentally while trying to get mods working, and was amazed at the difference in visual quality. Basically, on my 3080 I can only run Luke’s mod at low everything, with jaggy resolution, but running Cyberpunk in the Quest’s desktop mode, I can run everything at or near 4K ultra with ray tracing, and it’s almost like looking at real life. Sure, I can’t see everything in 360, but it still fills my peripheral vision. The aspect ratio looks a little squished at times, but it runs so much better and looks so much better, it’s kind of insane. I want to get it working in VR at decent quality, but I dunno. My VR looks like PS2 graphics, and the desktop via Quest looks like something I didn’t know was even possible.

3 Likes

Welcome to the OpenMR!

I have not as of yet played Cyberpunk in either manner as of yet. Hoping to at some point in the future it is part of my long and growing list. :pi_smiley:

As we would like to overtime expand our Guides Category it would be great if you could share maybe some of your settings suggestions for use with Meta Quest Hmds with things like VR mod for Cyberpunk. :beers::wink::vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Thank you! I just ran everything at Ultra settings, no mods (including no vr mods), from the Quest 2 desktop via airlink at 90hz. It’s not quite as 3D as true VR, but it looks —crazy— beautiful. NPCs look like they’re rendered from a 3D movie, not a game (makes we want to stop and look at each one, haha) while in my setup’s VR mod, everything looks jagged, blurry, and janky. I even switched settings to Ultra with raytracing to see if the visual clarity would be improved, but it was still blurry/pixelated.

I keep wondering if other people are seeing something radically different than I am with the Cyberpunk VR mods. So far, I think they’re cool, but the visuals are so much blurrier and pixelated for me that I’m not sure they’re worth it for my hardware setup.

My specs:

64GB ram
3080 FE
2tb 970 evo plus

1 Like

You’re specs are such that you should be able to achieve good results, but the fact is Cyberpunk does not work well with DLSS and TAA - which looks worse still when turned off (a problem that is unavoidable without a great deal of effort from Luke Ross). The parallax ghosting that occurs on objects (making them look like there’s a vapor coming off of them) is the result of DLSS/TAA looking to the previous frame for reference, which is broken by the method of alternate eye rendering in Luke’s mods.
Luke employed a DLSS/TAA fix in his RDR2 mod, which is now unavailable due to take-down, but Luke has stated that it was just too much work to enable the same fixes for Cyberpunk

Using 75hz mode on the HMD makes a HUGE difference for me, because 90 FPS is MUCH harder to achieve than 75 FPS - as it depends on your CPU. (I have a 12th gen intel, overclocked 10%)
I suggest on a 3080 you should aim for 20 PPD on the slider, with DLSS set to whatever you can achieve with the FPS staying at 75 (for me on a 3090 it was requiring Performance or Ultra performance). I also suggest you leave off all ray tracing, it’s pretty, but CPU and GPU taxing (save for on a 4090)

Currently with 4090 on 12th gen; Pimax 8KX
I have all settings to Ultra (except motion blur of course)
Ray tracing OFF (who can afford that, really)
DLSS set to Ultra performance (because CPUs suck for VR)

I get 33PPD at 75FPS on Small FOV
I get 27PPD at 75FPS on Normal FOV
I get 22PPD at 75FPS on Large FOV

I get 27PPD at 90FPS on Small FOV
I get 23PPD at 90FPS on Normal FOV
I get 19PPD at 90FPS on Large FOV

The ghosting on 75FPS is notably worse, but …
Cyberpunk is soon to receive the additional AER2 treatment from Luke Ross, which employs frame interpolation/motion smoothing between the alternated frames. AER2 has been wonderful in the game Grounded, and although it takes a very good amount of tweaking to ensure you maintain a certain FPS (depending on the mode and HMD Hz) - It eliminates the ghosting you will otherwise observe when as a result of the alternate eye rendering (most noticeable when rotating or when objects move quickly on scene).

I have some hope that since the frames are interpolated that it may fix the TAA/DLSS. Previously the reason for the “vapor” blur was because DLSS/TAA were looking to the previous frame for motion - which alternate eye rendering obliterates. Perhaps the DLSS/TAA will look to the interpolated frame in AER2 such that AER2 will resolve that issue as well?? What would you say @LukeRoss :slight_smile: ?

Either way, AER2 should be a wonderful boon to the Cyberpunk VR when it is released (there’s also a major update to Cyberpunk 2077 in this quarter)

Much to be excited about. Stay Tuned.

3 Likes

This is one of the problems with the Quest 2 not having a direct DP connection like is it the Pico 2? So any streaming if not mistaken with wireless or even the usb-c tethering will likely suffer from video compression.

I have been informed by other users that unfortunately the next pico model will not have the direct display port connection option. :disappointed_relieved:

That being said have you looked into trying something like OpenXR toolkit and if running Cyberpunk from steam you can likely leverage some gains using Fholger’s OpenFSR.

Of note: in my experience, fholger’s VRPerfKit fails with AER (as it can’t determine “which eye” is being rendered in it’s heuristic method) and VrPerfKit doesn’t work in Oculus mode, which is what Luke’s mods use for Pimax (you’ll note that if set to Auto, it will choose “fake CV1” - this is reportedly because of a bug in Pitool that prevents the use of non-parallel projection mode in SteamVR, so if you force SteamVR mode you’ll note a performance drop). The OpenXR Toolkit might work if it were truly in openXR mode, but alas all my attempts to use the OpenXR method of Luke’s mods are thwarted. OpenComposite doesn’t subvert Luke Mods, so as I understand it Pimax’s libraries sees it as openXR, and drops it back to steamVR mode, thus it’s like converting it to SteamVR, such that OpenXR Toolkit and PimaxXR can’t be implemented.

In other HMDs, or in those that use Streaming, Virtual desktop, the experience may be different however, so the above is just a synopsis of my attempts to improve performance in Cyberpunk with Pimax

1 Like

Thank you for adding clarity as I do not have an Oculus hmd. Very good to know.

:pi_thumbsup:

Thank you for the responses, all — I had disabled antialiasing in config.ini, which does definitely help. I’ll try some of the other tips mentioned, like running at 72hz. Looking forward to Luke’s new version, definitely.

1 Like