Cyberpunk 2077 VR Enhancement Guide

Agreed maybe pimax can utilize info on reported bugs to fix issues and identify specific bug fixes in release notes. @PimaxQuorra

5 Likes

That’s great news about Luke’s mod. I’ll give that a try again (note to others: back up your Cyberpunk settings first; Luke’s mod changes just about every setting and it’s a bit of a PITA getting back to another configuration if you don’t end up using the Luke method.)
It’s hard to compete with the vorpX motion-controls though… Although I have mostly decided to give up on Cyberpunk until the final version finally arrives and also the next-gen GPUs; I simply can’t push enough pixels concurrently with sufficient performance to my 8K-X for a satisfactory full-VR experience even with my 3080Ti. Too many trade-offs in quality to get the performance I want.
Speaking of which, the .ini to turn off TAA does still work, but it definitely disables DLSS - there is zero effect of DLSS on my system with TAA disabled; neither the quality nor the performance changes no matter what DLSS setting I choose (both remain the same as “OFF”). I’m pretty sure this is a known-quantity and that DLSS actually relies on TAA. Let’s hope AMD’s upscaling keeps improving (it’s already pretty good), because it looks like NVIDIA has assumed everyone is fine with TAA going forward. But it’s the single worst method of AA I’ve ever seen. Who comes up with this crap? And why the heck are devs using it when it makes their products look awful? Oh well, I rant…

2 Likes

I have never been more beside myself with joy and excitement! I just upped my sub to Lukes Patreon. Is Luke really one person? Well he’s got two subscribers in one now! I’m over the moon! I had to read his announcement twice to believe it!

1 Like

Well said! Thought I was doing it wrong with the TAA vs DLSS. Thanks for the post!

2 Likes

I was excited too, but then I read it again and I wonder if his approach to get rid of gun face is going to anywhere near as good as the Vorpx mod.

In Vorpx your head is decoupled from the gun in your hands with no configuration neccessary.

The way Luke describes his solution is that he is add even more variable to adjust the camera outside of ADS when holding a weapon.

If the gun is still coupled to your head direction it will still kind of suck though. Albeit much better than what he has in place now.

TBH the only reason I still favor the Vorpx mod is the combat and the motion gestures. (When I have the energy :yawning_face:)

I remain cautiously optimistic. But everything else about the update is super exciting. Luke is really making me not regret extending my subscription this month.

2 Likes

Now I am confused, is that really the truth? Can you look left and shoot right?
In Vorpx site there are described only hand gestures, which act as a button in game (i.E. instead button for “aim down the sight” there is a gesture for it (right hand to chin, and left in front of you)?

Kind of yes. Your character is holding the gun pointing forwards. I can turn my head to the left to look left but my gun stays where it was.

If i walk forward then while walking I look left my direction won’t change.

2 Likes

I’ve tried the new 3.2.0 and have some thoughts regarding use with Pimax.

Pros:

• The adaptive resolutions do work with Small, Normal, and Large FOV, with and without Parallel Projection mode.
  • Gun sights and positions work much better in this version, as promised!

Fixables:

• Text Subtitles from NPCs and on items currently do not work with canted displays (in stereo mode) as the text is displayed at differing angles (I suspect this is fixable)
  • Hidden Area Mask doesn’t get applied to the Canted Displays, leaving it feel like a screen in vorpX. The Hidden Area Mask curves the display and can reduce rendering of unseen pixels.

Apparent Limitations of Alternate Eye Rendering:

• FPS limited to being 1/2 of the actual HZ of the headset. (i.e. a 75Hz HMD will display 37.5 fps in each eye when the frame counter says 75 fps) (there is a R.E.A.L. rendering mode that is selectable and appears to remove the limits, but who can get 150 fps, so better to stick to 1/2 Hz anyway -else get dropped frames?)
  • DLSS (and TAA) have ghosting over the parallax, so all close objects have a shimmer-ghost effect as each of these effects rely on previous frames to apply their effect. This can be turned off but naturally results in aliasing.
  • The right and left side of the vision get ghosted too as they have no reference frame to get their data from. (In fact I believe earlier in this post people (myself included) thought that was some sort of Fixed Foveated Rendering since it looks less resolved in those areas)
    EDIT: RDR2 HAS A FIX FOR THE TAA/DLSS but Luke said it was a time suck and doesnt want to do it for Cyberpunk

Pimax apparently “ghosted” Luke Ross despite their intent to work with him from last December. He apparently pointed out some bugs in their SteamVR implementation, resulting in him using their Oculus implementation instead!

1 Like

if only that “forward direction” was actually right controller direction…

Edit: I am not fan of “GTA in future”, but I will probably try it myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Weird, I tried the mod for the first time in a while on my 8KX last night and I was blown away.

It felt ultra smooth and it looked like the fps was locked at 75 even when I pushed the PPD to > 16 on large FOV

I settled on Small FOV because its still huge and i canoush as high as 20 ppd before the framerate dips to 50-60

how do you know you are only getting half because it certainly didn’t feel like it.

I know because I had just finished an hour session on the Vive Pro and in the El Coyote Dojo I was getting 60 ish at 14.5 ppd and it was no where near as smooth as when I jumped into the 8KX.

Also regarding the TAA ghosting. It seems that maybe DLSS doesn’t work afterall with TAA off. I swore it was having sone effect though but I’ll need to test it more.

Luke’s mod has FAR less issues with TAA AER ghosting than the Vorpx mod. I switched it back on and could see no edge artifacts or ghosting at all and thats with DLSS set to Ultra it was quite remarkable actually.

1 Like

The documentation. Fps is for the total eye of both eyes

With RDR 2 he actually painstakingly removed the ghosting from DLSS and TAA by faking it out to wait two frames for alternate eye rendering. Sadly For Cp2077 he said its not worth the trouble. If clarity is king do MONO mode with motion smoothing. If I tune to 38+ fps I get smooth 30PPD, way more than 8kx is able to display but still looks better of course as it funtions like SSAA or DSR. With 3090 and 12th gen… that is.

Yeah but if I can’t tell the difference its 75 to me. :slight_smile:

What i mean is …
Its technically running at 75 because each eye is getting a different frame (this is where the artifacts and ghosting comes from. and if you cant see the difference between each alternate frame then it will feel like 75.

For some reason in Luke’s Mods I cant see the artifacts at all. But with Vorpx I need to turn TAA off and then its silky smooth.

This also explains Luke’s comments about the best way to minimize the negative effects is with higher framerate. Because the higher the framerate the less difference there will be between frames.

1 Like

I do think the mods fps counter is accurate. It tells me I’m getting about 50 fps…and it feels like it. It does not feel like 25 fps. I physically know the difference between 50 fps and 25 fps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I thought the same. So I ran Rivatuner on the app and it shows that each frame is an different eye. 75fps is the stated and detected FPS. I also stated this in the Patreon, and Luke didn’t correct me. Perhaps since the binocular overlap happens that half frame rate when alternated will allow the brain to perceive the smoothness differently? Just a guess. Either way, no sense arguing about taste - if it feels like 50 fps it is 50 fps - and I agree it’s easy to tell 25fps vs 50fps, so I have to come up with such things to make it make sense hahah

1 Like

well, you’ve lost me half the time :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: but so do 50% of the other techy posts on here! someone needs to straight up directly ask Luke…

Let’s have a bet…my Aero against your 8kx i’m right
JOKING :stuck_out_tongue:

Man if OpenXRToolkit actually nails a big performance boost with Eye-tracked Foveated Rendering for MS Flight Simulator 2020, I will have one ASAP.

I just need to see … 30% more FPS vs non-foveated… Then I would give up my wide FOV.

DLSS may make the difference as well for that title.

Afaik from the tiny bit of feedback that i read online that came from an OpenXR Toolkit tester, the dynamic foveated rendering will only give 1-2fps more fps than fixed foveated rendering (FFR gives me about 20%). but apparently the quality is better with DFR; meaning that the rings of lower resolution are harder to see.

3 Likes

mono mode isnt literally 2d?might as well play it on my 4k tv honestly

1 Like

I tried mono mode for a little last night and it actually still does feel like 3d it’s just that the sense of depth is a bit less to me, especially as you look off in the distance. The real issue I had with the mono mode is that the edges of my view were restricted by black vertical bars which gave it more of a narrow “screen” look.

1 Like