Crystal is here. Reserve yours

You’re assuming they had no inventory projection? It’s routine to allocate production by location. The reverb G2 wasn’t offered in Canada until we’ll after orders were being taken in the USA- but that didn’t mean that all the American orders were filled and shipped before beginning to take orders. They were, however, filled ahead of Canada’s by virtue of being ahead in the que. I’m not sure it’s the best way to do it, but your method might provide its own set of issues. E.G. more Lag time between regional orders being placed and their delivery.
I have no idea how Pimax has actually organized this in terms of production, inventory and priority but I don’t think it’s much of an issue really.

2 Likes

More lag less lag - production still continues regardless. You try not to ship a half full container so you make people wait to cut your shipping costs.

The lag with the Crystal has more to do with an unfinished product launching into a more forgiving environment away from the wests critical media.

You must be much better informed about the state of the headset than am I. I only know what’s been promised. I don’t know how much of that will be delivered first, last, ever or never.
When they start the road show and reviews start coming in I’ll be more able to keep up with you. I’m hoping what they learn from this model informs the final development of the 12K, which I will pre-order with my trade in as soon as allowed.
I guess we’ll see.
My 8KX has been great for me, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

1 Like

After all these months full of well-intentioned tips for pimax, I have to ask which great company you are so successfully leading?

4 Likes

My first job in life was for a major Japanese Electrical Company.

I’m currently Self employed.

I also have a YT channel with over 150k subs and a video that’s had over 25 million views.

I could make Pimax a better promotional video than their last.

I’ve owned DK2, Vive, Pimax5k+, Index, Pico4.

Do I qualify to post here?

What’s your YT channel?

No wonder. You do speak like a critic. The things we usually not care much, like exactly when they will ship and how many they will ship, you are quite concerned about those things.

1 Like

Is there a picture out there of a Crystal and 8k x (or any vision series headset) side by side? Would like to see the size difference.

2 Likes

Is it possible to trade in an 8KX for the Crystal? I’ve already reserved mine but since i never use my 8KX anyways I was hoping to maybe get a few bucks off if I can trade it in.

not possible, trade in is against 12K only.

No trade in unfortunately but they hold their value well on ebay so I’d just recommend that route.

Yeah we had to shut the reservations down, it was far more than we were prepared for. We are seeing if there is a way we can further increase the production.

8 Likes

@PimaxUSA Well, that’s actually a nice problem to have!
:+1:

2 Likes

Congratulations! And good decision to temporarily shut down the reservations if it’s beyond what you can manage, keeping it open would only lead to problems and frustration.

7 Likes

Is there a ball-park number you can tell us about the reservations? Like between 1000 to 2000, 5000 to 10000…?

2 Likes

I apologize if this is a little off topic, but I was wondering if the stand-alone interface/built-in store for the Crystal will offer popular VR titles like Rec Room, or will it only be like titles that are exclusive to Pimax?

It’s in the thousands. (not 10 though).

1 Like

And I just got an email that reservations are open again. Dang that’s tempting. But I’m holding out for the 12k OLED.

My guess 5000.

1 Like

I guess it might be a good time for a small interim check on a discussion we held in October of last year now that we see the Pimax COO addressing the “same few people” as being overly negative:

My statement:

Pimax COO’s responses:

So, fact check in November 2022:

Crystal (announced in May 2022 to be shipped in Q3 2022): delayed and (more importantly) not completely functioning yet, e.g. apparently the entire stand-alone part which surely contributes prominently to the price tag of 2 grand is said to be non-functional for the time being in the devices being said to ship soonTM.

The 12K, which this discussion relates to, was announced to be available at the end of 2022. It is now said to be at 70% and not arrive this year, with no new ETA given.

How does that translate to my predictions? My realistic expectation, which was met with the “0% accuracy” comment, said that I expected a lot of marketing mumble, but with the prototype of Reality being shown but no clear short-term avaibility and over-promising on specs: the 12K promises A LOT, that can be said without any doubt, and it was not available within 3 months from October 2021. And it is already known to be delayed. And it has so many specs to fulfil, that it will be really interesting to see if all of these will be present in the product shipping one; present in a shape which meets the reasonable expectations of the customers for a device priced at 2,5 grand.

So far it seems my reasonable expectation is pretty much on track, with the caveat that we will have to see about the presence & quality of the features once the 12K is released. (I do invite critics to challenge me on the feature completeness in good function of the 12K if it arrives at least in 2023)

And by the way, my objective is not to create fear and drive users away from Pimax, rather to caution them to not pre-order a product based on marketing talk rather than solid hands-on experience from unbiased reviewers. Why? Because I have gained experience with Pimax announcements vs. performance over the last couple of years.

If Pimax doesn’t like it, if they want us to shut up, there’s a very simple way to do so: get the products out in time and in good shape. Or to put it differently - don’t make promises which you’ll not meet, and - with all due respect - which you should know that you won’t meet them. So far my predictions worked better than the predictions of the COO and his colleagues.

4 Likes