Crystal is here. Reserve yours

I guess they have Sweviver but woukdnt you expect a video every other day from him? Seems pointless employing him not to do what he was doing.

With the removeable lenses, I imagine that even were there to turn out to be no diopter adjustment, after all, it should be quite easy to shim in a sheet paper or a few, or a small stack of thin, tiny disc magnets, between the magnetic attachment points and the lens frames, for added diopters – not so much luck for subtraction…

Then comes the question of whether there is a distortion correction tuning variable, to match the change…

It strikes me that with the “fast-swappable” magnetic attachment solution, somebody could potentially add some sort of sensor, or NFC tag reader, or something, which detects which lens is fitted (…of the two types, and maybe even other, aftermarket ones, tailored to prescription…), along with the position of any diopter-dial, to have settings auto-adapt…

I wonder how visible the intermediate pane of glass will turn out to be… The one in the 8k series was pretty inconspicuous, but the new one has to be quite reflective at close to perpendicular, in order to do what it needs to for the eye-tracker, just like with the 8k series Droolon thingy… :7 (EDIT3: Apparently there have been a few reports about people experiencing ghosting in new headsets with pancake lenses, by the way – I had been wondering how much of that there would be… :7)

EDIT: Given people have apparently been sending devices needing service to Sweden, I could imagine that alone (EDIT2: …dealing with the logistics of it, that is - not personally diving into every unit with a soldering iron, himself…) keeping SweViver busy, depending on whether it is just him operating his locally incorporated subsidiary, all on his own, or there are others… I could also imagine him having acted as reach-out and go-between, between Pimax and Tobii…

There’s this other youtuber on this forum who does flightsims mostly, forgot his name but he posts pimax vids here on this forum, he seems to mostly post videos of him playing games using a Pimax headset. Then there’s that transsexual who does Pimax only stuff, pretty active on Discord. And Sweviver also of course.Also some others on Pimax discord, you can see them under ‘reviewer/media’, not all necessarily 100% pro pimax, but some are.

Honestly I dont trust ANY youtube reviewer at all. I mean if you send somebody a headset for free, how ‘independent’ is his review going to be?

I’d rather wait and see regular forum users here post their reviews. I’m happy @john2910 preordered the crystal, going to see what he has to say :slight_smile: Although the Crystal reviews have to be REALLY REALLY good for me to buy a small FoV headset ever again.

2 Likes

Thx,i will for sure give my honest opinion…I have and had enough vr headsets too compare…

3 Likes

Haha, I’m “that transsexual”, I suppose :rofl:
I’d have preferred to be known for literally anything else, but sometimes it is what it is.

I generally agree with you about the free stuff though, its hard to say something bad when you’ve got something that nice for free to play with. I reserved a Crystal out of pocket, so if its awful I’ll be plenty irritated.

1 Like

Guys, do not miss the Pimax EU roadshow announcement and signup pages for the events:

3 Likes

I thought it was Bradley.

3 Likes

Good to hear from you again Sweviver/Marcin.

2 Likes

It’s only a reservation not a preorder, you can cancel after reviews or trying yourself on roadshows. To get a good place is worth the 36 euro’s for me

@hammerhead_gal, @PimaxUSA : Does the Crystal also count towards a 12k purchase? Just in case the 12k turns out cool enough to warrant an upgrade.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t.

You can see that in the FAQ section. They have also confirmed elsewhere that the crystal is not included.

1 Like

He has many, many tasks. We are preparing for the roadshows, large events and setting up support systems among other things.

The main thing I remember you for is your acid wit. The first of your videos I saw was on Pimax’s eye tracking module. Scathing… and entertaining!

I’ve found your reviews to be on point. You’re pretty up front about the jankiness of Pimax, and I think you capture the situation accurately in your videos without hyperbole. Pimax makes arguably the most powerful products available on the market today if you can cope with the jankiness of both the product and the company. They also make some duds like their eye tracking module that they should just take off the market.

I’m actually particularly interested to see your take on the Crystal. I think that Pimax is focusing efforts specifically toward getting past the jankiness they’ve been known for, and I consider you a good source for judging whether or not they succeeded.

4 Likes

I thought that’s just what all VRchat users are like

3 Likes

Well said and I agree completely, Jamejame’s guide to 8K X setup is easily the best video resource out there on the topic.

1 Like

Aww thanks :slight_smile:

I’m really looking forward to digging into the details of the Crystal!

3 Likes

Frankly I don’t think Qualcomm’s XR2 chip is powerful enough to drive 12k resolution. Right now even RTX4090’s DP1.4a cannot drive the 12k resolution. Only DP 2.0 can support dual 8k displays. So if you want to really able to see 12k in full resolution, you might have to wait until RTX5090 or Qualcomm’s XR3.
This is why for now Crystal is the only practical play for Pimax. Maybe Pimax has to switch lanes and make the 12k AMD GPU only ?

Of course it’s not, and Pimax would never claim as such. Sure the XR2 can’t drive full Quest 2 resolution unless in very undemanding applications. The standalone is just a nice bonus as a result of the SoC. Expect perhaps slightly higher than Quest 2 resolutions but on much better panels and at a slightly larger FOV (assuming that the XR2 is well cooled and not underclocked like the Quest 2).

That all said, I think the 12K is most likely to be 2x1.4 DP. They can’t limit themselves to such as tiny market as those that own the latest AMD cards, it would be suicide for the product.

3 Likes

Observe that the XR2 is not in the video path when wired or using 60GHz wireless.

The XR2 only comes into play when using WiFi 6E. When operating in this mode, it will likely be similar to Meta’s airlink or virtual desktop and probably will not be able to achieve resolution which would max out the 6K panels. That doesn’t make the high panel resolution useless, however, as it will still produce a better upscaled image than a lower resolution panel.

A DP1.4a theoretically could handle 2x6K panels using a combination of DSC and foveated transport.

However, it hasn’t been clarified whether the 12K will use 1x or 2x DP connections. It would be useful for it to use 2x, as there will be games which are unable to use foveated rendering which will force the 12K to run at lower resolutions if it only has 1x DP.

The 12K’s displays are 6K, not 8K. And DP 2.0 is not the only way to drive such high resolution. It would be the best and most convenient way, however. And it’s disappointing that the 4090 does not have it.

Nope.

Almost certainly not. I think Pimax will continue their apparent relationship with nVidia and keep nVidia GPUs as their primary platform to support. AMD GPU support will probably eventually appear as well. Eventually.

2 Likes

“Believe half of what you see, none of what you hear” - Bruce Lee

3 Likes