Crystal is here. Reserve yours

Is there a ball-park number you can tell us about the reservations? Like between 1000 to 2000, 5000 to 10000…?

2 Likes

I apologize if this is a little off topic, but I was wondering if the stand-alone interface/built-in store for the Crystal will offer popular VR titles like Rec Room, or will it only be like titles that are exclusive to Pimax?

It’s in the thousands. (not 10 though).

1 Like

And I just got an email that reservations are open again. Dang that’s tempting. But I’m holding out for the 12k OLED.

My guess 5000.

1 Like

I guess it might be a good time for a small interim check on a discussion we held in October of last year now that we see the Pimax COO addressing the “same few people” as being overly negative:

My statement:

Pimax COO’s responses:

So, fact check in November 2022:

Crystal (announced in May 2022 to be shipped in Q3 2022): delayed and (more importantly) not completely functioning yet, e.g. apparently the entire stand-alone part which surely contributes prominently to the price tag of 2 grand is said to be non-functional for the time being in the devices being said to ship soonTM.

The 12K, which this discussion relates to, was announced to be available at the end of 2022. It is now said to be at 70% and not arrive this year, with no new ETA given.

How does that translate to my predictions? My realistic expectation, which was met with the “0% accuracy” comment, said that I expected a lot of marketing mumble, but with the prototype of Reality being shown but no clear short-term avaibility and over-promising on specs: the 12K promises A LOT, that can be said without any doubt, and it was not available within 3 months from October 2021. And it is already known to be delayed. And it has so many specs to fulfil, that it will be really interesting to see if all of these will be present in the product shipping one; present in a shape which meets the reasonable expectations of the customers for a device priced at 2,5 grand.

So far it seems my reasonable expectation is pretty much on track, with the caveat that we will have to see about the presence & quality of the features once the 12K is released. (I do invite critics to challenge me on the feature completeness in good function of the 12K if it arrives at least in 2023)

And by the way, my objective is not to create fear and drive users away from Pimax, rather to caution them to not pre-order a product based on marketing talk rather than solid hands-on experience from unbiased reviewers. Why? Because I have gained experience with Pimax announcements vs. performance over the last couple of years.

If Pimax doesn’t like it, if they want us to shut up, there’s a very simple way to do so: get the products out in time and in good shape. Or to put it differently - don’t make promises which you’ll not meet, and - with all due respect - which you should know that you won’t meet them. So far my predictions worked better than the predictions of the COO and his colleagues.

4 Likes

I do think Kevin gets overly defensive.

The roadshows will reveal all. No hiding under the table cloth.

2 Likes

Well, that’s the understatement of the century.

Everybody - possibly every single user on this forum - can have empathy, and reasoned understanding about something turning out to take longer than expected, and be contentedly patient… as long as the delayed party is honest about it…

However: When said party instead (EDIT: …over and over again…) carpet bombs anybody expressing concern, and grandstands about how unfounded those concerns are, only to in short order prove them 100% right… Yeah… Not the most relatable approach…

6 Likes

That’s hyperbole. I’ve never felt Kevin carpet bombs everyone who has a critique. I’ve been a tad harsh on the failure rate of the 2.0 base stations and he treated me with courtesy. I think reasoned and fair criticism doesn’t bother him. It’s the few guys in here who seem to hang around just to share their hatred that seem to bring out his ‘dark side’.
Hard to blame him. Some of the more rabid haters would complain if Pimax ended war and world hunger.

4 Likes

… or the other way around… Probably a bit of vicious circle, too.

Yeah, that knife can cut both ways. On the other hand, Kevin HAS to be here. The haters don’t.
They can bugger off any time they like.

1 Like

Not sure who you’d say those are. But I think they all actually are paying Pimax customers, who have owned most of the time multiple Pimax products and are interested in the upcoming products. Hard to call them ‘haters’.

3 Likes

Nah, he could just have Heliosurge here, who actually does have control over his temper. He never insults or fights with people here and even though I don’t always agree with him, he does a great job here.

Or Sweviver, who generally seems to be able to control himself. I think the only time I saw him lose control was in that fight with UploadVR when he threatened to sue them (wow that was some serious entertainment LOL). But here on the forum he’s always nice even though I’m sure he doesn’t always like what he reads. But that’s how it should be. If you’re serious about managing a company you just can’t insult your paying clients.

I’ve owned 3 Pimax headsets and am looking forward to getting my fourth. I don’t have any interest in any other brand. I am not a troll even though I have been accused of being one by Kevin. I want this brand to succeed, that doesn’t mean I am not allowed to have criticism of this company and will vocalize that whenever I see fit.

2 Likes

I agree with this. I’ve had people here warn me that if I dare criticize Pimax or its products, Pimax will come down on me or something. But as far as I’ve seen, it’s not about whether you’re criticizing them. It’s about whether you’re polite and/or whether you making baseless and inaccurate claims. If you are rude to Pimax, they will bite you right back. And I think that’s a shock to some people who are used to corporations always responding to them politely no matter how deliberately rude and unreasonable they are.

Much as there are some people here who seem to think that I’m a stalwart Pimax supporter, I am actually sharply critical of some of Pimax’s products and practices. And I have not been shy about telling them so. But I am polite about it, and I try to keep my remarks factual and accurate. I’ve had nothing but friendly responses from Pimax. Sometimes I’ve even been surprised by that when I’ve posted something that’s actually scathing toward them, but they seem to accept that feedback in the good faith in which I meant it.

Also if someone claims that Pimax will fail just because it’s Pimax, that is still a baseless claim even if the prediction later turns out to be accurate.

2 Likes

Never “just because entity=X”, but because of entityX’s having a certain trackrecord, and then repeating all too familiar trajectories. Reputation is earned.

3 Likes

LOL. It’s actually funny when you write it down like that. It’s mostly kevin though, the other Pimax employees here always are nice and professional. It’s interesting how you applaud Kevin’s behavior. Its just unprofessional and anti productive and I don’t think many employers would be happy with such employee. He definitely wouldn’t last in my company, I want happy customers. Pimax being pimax doesn’t seem to care too much.

3 Likes

Well they won’t unfortunately. Most of the features for the roadshow will be disabled

1 Like

We live in a culture where someone ordering coffee at a coffee shop can be deliberately rude, provocative, demeaning, hateful, condescending, nasty, and just downright mean to an employee working there, and if that employee does anything other than smile and respond politely and submissively without showing a hint of how she was just treated, she will be fired.

I’m not convinced that this is the best state of affairs for our culture.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen such posts here on the forum lately. If you did, can you quote one? “Condescending”, maybe, but ‘hateful’, ‘demeaning’, nah, haven’t seen that in a while here. I remember a few times on the forum where it happened (during the kickstarter period) but such post just gets deleted and/or the user banned. Rightfully so.

Because it’s the best way to handle such situation. If you get angry yourself, the situation can quickly escalate and can even quickly get violent. It’s in no way going to help anybody. It’s just the professional way to stay cool and don’t let it get to you. If you can’t control yourself, then better find a job where you don’t need to be around people.

1 Like