Crystal Event& Frontier 2022 Discussion

I can never tell if you’re joking lol, but no of course not.

Not even when I’m loling. Lol

I’d be in for a 8K-X Mk2 with new screens and lenses if they are worth it.

Still, my 8K-X chugs along nicely for my purposes and Pimax has managed to eak out some good performance improvements for those who can drive them.

Hmm, wonder what AMD will bring to the table for VR with their up coming GPU’s…

Here we go…

It’s tomorrow

1 Like

I seriously hope the new AMD cards work with Pimax headsets (and Aero, not sure if there are only nvidia only headsets).

As far as I remember Pimax could not put up the right time for the past events (those I remember). It was either wrong timezone or wrong DST (or both). I would not read too much into the time they say here.

You probably should try to tune in at 5pm PDT, PST, EDT, EST, GMT, CET, and few other China local times, just to be on the safe side :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

Aero works with nVidia only. Pimax is nVidia only on the 2076 8KX. And I think we’re going to be continuing to see more of that kind of thing for a while. For this reason, I would not advise buying an AMD GPU if you plan to purchase any kind of exotic VR headset.

1 Like

On the other hand, I presume the reason these are NVidia only, is to do with DSC, and upcoming AMD cards are rumored to have DP 2.1, unlike RTX 40X0…

On the third hand, I don’t think the 12k has DP2.x… Dual 1.4, is it?

1 Like

I’m surprised they didn’t announce as a Stardate as well.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t assume that. DSC could be the only reason, but that’s really just the one reason that’s publicly known on these forums. There could be (and likely are) other barriers at the engineering level that we’ve never heard about.

Very likely all such barriers can be overcome, but clearly nVidia support is the primary path, and AMD GPU support is a lower priority. Such support will come more slowly or not at all, and bug fixes can be expected to take longer or possibly never be fixed.

Pimax have already said it one year ago.

Said what?

Did you see the image I posted?

They’re using g Nvidias DSC, DLSS, VRSS and CloudXR.

What I’m talking about are the differences in core functionality between nVidia and AMD. Internal engineering details that generally don’t have marketing names.

Pimax isn’t going to be stopped from supporting AMD just because AMD doesn’t have DLSS. Stuff like that is optional.

Looking forward to the event. I really hope they will not charge it $1900. That’s way out of my comfort zone.
Crystal picture is great, but my Pimax 5k super works just fine too. Don’t want to spend so much for something marginally better.
So maybe in the end the shiftall is my final choice.

1 Like

That shiftall brand name tho…

Catches me every time.

That wasn’t relevant to the conversation though. No one was saying they weren’t using DSC, and the other things have nothing to do with the topic at hand, hence I was asking for clarification.

Not relevant to the conversation? I agree with Sargon by showing the list of reasons Pimax gave to use Nvidia hardware.

It’s relevant to anyone who didn’t see the Pimax presentation and what technology are needed to deliver high bandwidth signals through a limited pipeline.

That was actually the first time I ever read

Those aren’t the reasons. Those are features of Nvidia hardware they are taking advantage of, they didn’t choose to only support nvidia they want to support both. DSC is one part of why Nvidia support is easier for them, the other parts are just nice to have features. According to @PimaxUSA, Pimax are working with AMD to improve support but it’s a 2 way conversation and might take some time.

Again, it’s not relevant as those features list are just them taking about features they are taking advantage of. They have nothing to do with compatibility (bar DSC which was already mentioned and discussed).

The only one relevant to that is DSC. Which was already mentioned and no one said anything against or such, hence I asked you for clarification as sharing that image didn’t make much sense to me within the context.