Crystal Event& Frontier 2022 Discussion

Hehe. I like the guy. But yeah his advices got me into quite a few bad headsets, Vive Pro 2 indeed being the worst, what a waste of money … The Vive Pro 2 was also the turning point that I decided not to listen to him anymore.

4 Likes

Btw, what happened to HTC‘s recent teaser - was it followed up by any announcement?

4 Likes

Ah yeah almost forgot about that. Nothing since that teaser. Not getting my hopes up, it seems HTC kind of lost it way …

1 Like

i bought the pico 4 because off him lol,he is a nice guy but things gets overhyped quikly.

I returned the pico 4 already because off black dots,dull colors and not that bright and discomfort…

3 Likes

I once, against all reason, let myself be tempted by him to buy a Lenovo Explorer. After 30 minutes it was back in the mail. :joy: what a crap

2 Likes

Yeah, I once stood up for him but honestly can’t do that anymore, he’s recommending to buy every piece of crap that gets released. It’s hard to not think he’s getting paid for that (contrarily to what he claims).

4 Likes

He probably doesn‘t get paid by the manufacturers directly, but he get‘s early access to the headsets at no charge (and may keep the headset) so he can break with one of the first reviews, and that generates clicks which earns him his living. So if he criticizes a headset rather than hype it, next time around that manufacturer will remember and let him buy his device with his own money and only as a normal customer when it‘s released, so his review will be arriving only when the competing youtubers with early access have already long released their reviews.

This is a difficult position to be in, especially if you chose to make this your primary job. But for me as a customer it means I have to wait for the reviews which I know to be unbiased, and they typically take longer to arrive for exactly the reason outlined above.

2 Likes

As I’m playing sim’s @VR only seated and as I don’t like to wear any kind of wireless item on my head transfering such large amounts of data all the time:

Will the 12K still have cable / DisplayPort & USB support as well?

:slight_smile:

Forgive me if I’m wrong but Pimax state the Event is in California at 5pm EST but doesn’t California fall in PST?

5pm EST = 2pm PST - California
5pm EST = 10pm GMT - UK
5pm EST = 11pm EU - Germany

Seems strange Crystal is only launching China but the Event is in the US.

Personally I would of had the event in China. Then a second world launch at CES 2023. But hay Pimax are not paying me to make these decisions lol.

1 Like

Tbf with the Quest Pro he had to drive 6 hours each way to France on launch day to buy it with his own money. Meta haven’t sent him anything since I think the Quest 1 but he still loved the Quest pro.

2 Likes

Yup!

I could be wrong but I think those pre-orders that went live in China likr Oct 1st was meant to be the china launch and this is the global launch. That’s my understanding anyway. I think the announcement said China gets delivery in November and global is ‘hopefully’ before xmas.

2 Likes

Hey i just googled 5pm EST and it says it’s 21:00 UK time :thinking:
Either way, will you be watching? You’re in the UK like me. I’ll be watching.

1 Like

Watching what? Is there a link to anything?

Pimax doesn’t have the Crystal listed on their website. I’m not sure where the order page is.

2 Likes

The Picture on the Pimax page doesn’t show the over ear headphones. Bit strange that.

1 Like

From the letter :
“The Pimax Frontier 2022 Conference will start at 5pm EST on multiple channels throughout the world…”

a link to it will be given at some point before it happens, I watched last years event on YouTube.

2 Likes

They said the orders go live tomorrow, it’s in the announcement pinned to the top of the forum.

Yeah, it is. Afaik they come with the DMAS by default though.

Edit: Actually maybe the Crystal price will be lowered, like Sweviver hinted at, and switching the DMAS for SMAS could be one of the ways they do this.

Thats what I thought until I looked at the image provided by Pimax.

So is the front chevron on the final units a sticker? lol.