Crystal Event& Frontier 2022 Discussion

They are not relevant to you. This is not your thread. I posted information from Pimax that some might find interesting. I don’t care either way.

I can’t see any diff between DSC on or off in the pics. Impressive. We (Canada) should never have let AMD acquire ATI.

DSC is a lossless standard so you wouldn’t see any. Think like how in digital audio FLAC files are lossless but smaller than WAV.

You can read the whitepaper here: http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/VESA_DSC-ETP200.pdf

It’s an industry standard, not unique or proprietary to Nvidia. However Nvidias implementation of it in their VRWorks DSC SDK goes up to 3:1. AMD does support DSC but (afaik) no where near to that level.

Also, my understanding (someone correct me if I’m wrong) is that DSC is the only major aspect to the data compression and signal going to the headset. VRSS and DLSS are for improving the rendering performance, as in getting a higher framerate or a higher resolution etc in a game from your hardware but it has no impact on the amount of data being sent to the headset (it just affects how that data is being generated). So even if AMD somehow had VRSS and DLSS it wouldn’t change anything as the issue isn’t the rendering, it’s the data delivery. Of course there could be, and likely is, a lot more going on behind the scene. Especially considering the 8KX works with AMD headsets prior to the 2076 model. As in 90hz on both should be the same and 120hz would be an Nvidia only feature thanks to their improved DSC implementation but that isn’t the case.

1 Like

I understand what is is. That’s why I said impressive.

Pimax Crystal Event just finished.

Got to be honest it’s not what i was expecting.

I thought this was a live event from California not a pre recorded video. lol

The announcement had a few updates but nothing major.

I could of done a better job myself lol.

THE EVENT WAS AMAZING.

Seriously, great work Josh. The whole event was much more grounded but still was hype. Only thing I could say is turn down the background music ha!

I am throughly back on the hype train though. That price reduction along with including both lenses, with the new system, has me extremely on board. Hoping to see impressions from 3rd parties soon but if they are decent then I am 100% buying it.

At that price point, and 140deg fov, it’s basically my ideal headset. Of course the 12k would be better but it’s out of my price range personally. I’m very excited about the MR faceplate also.

I really hope the built in tracking is good, I would love to get rid of my lighthouse tracking gear finally but even if not then I’ll just get the LH faceplate.

Anyway, great job @hammerhead_gal @PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA @SweViver, Josh and everyone else. I really enjoyed that whole show, basically made my day.

4 Likes

Ha!!! You absolute LEGEND. Never change!!!

3 Likes

12k only 70%??? But they were going to show it at CES 2022 WTH?

3 Likes

I agree with you for once

2 Likes

No live Demos, not one third party hands on. I mean if it’s in production at least get 1 YT to give it a first impression.

Well at least they never put any quarters or years to launch in the video so it shows they’re listening.

Is anyone going to pre-order with zero first hand reviews?

1 Like

Tomorrow I will be share more exciting images about frontier :wink: :wink:

10 Likes

So we learned that the Crystal headset is only $100 more (or the same price for existing Pimax customers) as a Quest Pro but with significantly higher specification and unique features like interchangeable lenses.

RIP Quest Pro.

3 Likes

The Crystal page has gone live but it already needs updating because it doesn’t include both sets of lenses.

2 Likes

We decided that many people could benefit from having both sets of lenses so that was a recent change. It will also appear on the website.

14 Likes

Now it says less than it is, and you don’t like that either. :joy:

2 Likes

That is a good decision. Well done Pimax for that.

I thought you did a good job presenting along with Josh so pat on the back for you both. You should get me onboard for the next one.

Roadshow starts on Nov 19th in Europe and the public get to try it, no NDA or such, so that is about the last date before opinions and first impressions come out.

Hopefully some will be higher than 1080p on YouTube so you can watch them. <3

3 Likes

Delete me please.

1 Like

You definitely need it!

That was someone else that thumbed you down btw lol, they redacted it but nice retaliation. <3