Can We Get Acknowledgement of the Pimax Specific RTX 4090 Latency / Lag Issue please?

Thank you!

2 Likes

Your quite welcome! Feel free to DM me or @mention me if you have any questions or needs.

The system typically bumps your user level as you learn & use features of the forum I have bumped you & @Aelm user level by 1 for both of yous convenience.

3 Likes

Glad to hear it!

2 Likes

Seems to be affecting a lot of headsets on al sorts of hardware, thanks for sharing. The comment about Nvidia beta driver sounds promising at least.

2 Likes

where do i find the beta driver? cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also got the beta driver from Nvidia but it didn’t fix the lag.

They then gave me a registry key to add and that also didn’t fix the lag.

Where is the direct display option please? Anywhere I see online seems to instruct to change this in Steam VR but I don’t use Steam VR. Is there somewhere else I can set this or is it purely a Steam VR thing?

2 Likes

So tempted to pick up gigabyte 4090 gaming oc. 1800 total cost. Dam… my first graphics card was 3dfx voodoo 5500 for 300 bucks. Was a great card . Not the fastest but the anti aliasing was the best of its time. Holy crap im old!!

1 Like

Go for it man, that’s $200 less than what I got my gigabyte gaming oc for back in october. No regrets, that card is a beast. Playing most fps at 160fps on my 5k super. Very immersive combination.

1 Like

I had a 4090 for 1.800 €, too, for a week. But the advantage over the 4080 in ETS2 / ATS was only 2 FPS @100% SS (although +15 with @125% SS)… so I returned it, and I am now on a 4080 (1.250 €). It’s really awesome to finally have a GPU which can run those truck sim’s at constant 75 FPS at least in winter and on the map DLC’s older than one year :partying_face: (Montana and Texas still stuttering a bit - but far less than with the 3080 before).

Back to topic:
I got used to the lag meanwhile after all those testings with 4090 and 4080 :joy: It’s neither great nor really 100% satisfying - but in contrast to my first tries with a 4080 two months ago, this time I won’t be able to go back to the 3080 any more even though there are those tiny lags.

Nevertheless, @Aelm , @JonnyM , would be great if one of you could post a direct link to this possible temporary bugfix here :slight_smile: Can’t find your post simply by searching for “nvidia pimax disable direct display” or keywords like these. Thx :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe it’s under developer settings in steamvr

Ah, okay, well, I’m playing via OpenXR only since half a year, and there is no similar setting as far as I know.

Thanks for that clarification :slight_smile:

1 Like

I could be talking out my as$ but I believe it changes a hidden windows setting somewhere, so may not matter that you’re on XR

1 Like

Pimax, please respond !

I got second 4090 card (MSI 4090 Suprim) and it have exactly same lag issue.
The lag can be seen even in SteamVR “load screen”.

I have uninstalled MSI AB, tested different display ports, USB ports, different driver versions, HAGS on or off, Resizable BAR on or off, etc. Also tested SteamVR Disable Direct Mode, manually set PCI lane speed to GEN4 and GEN3.
All those test have made zero impact in lag issue. I installed latest nvidia driver 528.49 (stripped version with NVCleanstall), no difference.

I have been Pimax supporter for long time but the lack of Pimax response for this is really disappointing. If this is not fixed soon then my next HMD will not be Pimax. I was really looking forward Crystal, but now it looks that Varjo would be safer option.

3 Likes

@PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA has there been some real progress between Pimax & Nvidia to get this resolved as it also affects some other hmd manufscturers?

Should ask the team to post regular updates even if to only say it still being worked on.

2 Likes

Would be nice, I hope they are still looking into it.

My MSI centre fix randomly stopped working today after a full month of it working first time every time lol, after zero changes to my setup. I’m so so sick of troubleshooting this damn thing. If there were literally a single other wide fov HMD manufacturer I would jump ship at this point.

Only that the error is continued there, since the problem is obviously in the communication between the mainboard and graphics card.

3 Likes

In this one specific issue yes, I have had many different issues across 4 GPU/mobos now, and there are many annoying bugs I put up with even when it works.

1 Like

What motherboard do you have?

2 Likes

Hi Jonny,

Motherboard is Asus Rog Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4, CPU is Intel i9 12900 K all core @ 5.2

3 Likes

The beta driver I got from Nvidia didn’t work, neither did the registry line they gave me.

I haven’t had any update from Pimax since December and that was just to say they are still investigating.

Any news or update would be nice. I am coming up on 1/3 of a year with this problem now and zero progress.