Can We Get Acknowledgement of the Pimax Specific RTX 4090 Latency / Lag Issue please?

Hello,

Thanks for the ping, Dan.

I’ve invited the developer to look into this thread; with the new information, they might be able to discover a solution.

1 Like

Can I just clarify - before messing with this stuff - this is for the jitter issue but does not resolve the lag problem? Is that correct?

I ask as I don’t have the jitter, only the lag. So don’t want to mess if not necessary or beneficial.

Sorry but I haven’t actually experienced the latency issue, thought that may have been related to my stutters but seems not.

However MSI centre did resolve another strange issue above so might be worth trying.

1 Like

The MSI/Mystic Light processes start even with auto-start disabled in settings.

Here was my test tonight:

-Launch PC: Stutter
-Install MSI: Stutter
-Restart PC: Stutter
-Close all MSI/RGB Processes: Stutter
-Uninstall MSI: Uninstall fails and doesn’t ask for admin permissions, leaves mystic light installed somewhere but does remove MSI centre. Seen this once before, maybe because I hadn’t launched the programme yet. Stutter.
-Reinstall MSI Centre (Mystic Light Shows as Already Installed): Stutter
-Uninstall MSI: Uninstalls correctly and Stutter disappears.

So yeah, really still have to do what I’m doing unfortunately. At least MSI centre is a windows app so it doesn’t take too long.

No not unity based but all VR games ie IL2 ,MSFS 2020 etc. Yes I tried Horizontal Cal to no effect. Initially could not connect to the HMD with lock ups, vid driver crashes and when finally connected I got either a slide show graphics or rapidly spinning screen with great frame rates like rolling downhill inside and acrylic sphere. Wow was that disorienting. After installing MSI center I have no issues connecting to the HMD and really good frame rates. I do still have an issue remaining though and it’s like the headset display encounters rotational inertia when turning my head in all directions. The displayed graphics lag behind my head rotation and the severity of the lag depends upon the speed of the HMD rotation rate. When I turn my head slowly it manages to keep up but not when I turn rapidly and that gets a little nauseating when playing my air combat sims. I’m using the HMD’s 9 axis tracking system and that has always worked correctly for me before albeit with minor amount of drift that requires an occasional recenter in game. My system specs are as follows. MSI X670 Pro motherboard 7700X cpu 32 Gigs G Skill 6000 memory XFX 7900XT and cheapo 1 TB ssd non nvme as the system is still on the test bench. Pimax 5K super HMD.

1 Like

I just updated to 528.02, and the latency on fast head movements is now gone for me.

4 Likes

Never tried 528.02 until now as reports here suggested no change. Unfortunately I’m in that category as well, it’s actually even worse as this driver introduced ghosting as well :frowning_face:

1 Like

I tried it and lag is still bad. 522.25 still the smallest lag.

I’ve got a Gainward 4090 since yesterday and first installed and tested it with the former 527.56 => slight lags, although a little less annoying than with the 4080 imho.

Later that day, I upgraded to 528.02. => no change, still slight lags, no improvement compared to 527.56.

Given all these issues with the new HMD’s from Nvidia and AMD, I think I will keep my 3090 through the beta testing of the crystal and likely until after the 12K’s release. By then both companies should have this sorted. In the meantime, SweViver said the Crystal would bo ‘ok’ on a 3070, so it should be fine on the 3090.

2 Likes

I almost pulled trigger and brought 4090 but now im holding off until this all gets sorted out as well. 3080 still good enough.

3 Likes

There’s a post on the VR subreddit claiming disabling direct display helps with tracking lag, if anyone wants to try this.

I already experimented with this to try and fix my stutters a while ago, no luck.

I’m still installing and uninstalling MSI centre every day but is working flawlessly at least :confused:

2 Likes

Had same lag issue with 8KX and Asus TUF 4090 OC in iRacing. I returned the card because it was unusable with this issue. I’m now considering to get MSI card, but I’m quite sceptical it will be any different than Asus.

Pimax, please give info have you found what is causing this and when we get fix for this !!

I have pre orderd Crystal, but I think I won’t buy it, until it’s sure that it don’t have same lag issue.

1 Like

Its really disappointing that this issue hasnt.been addressed by nvidia. It seems its a problem with other vr headsets as well.

2 Likes

That worked surprisingly well. I finally played bonelab without stutter by the MSI install/uninstall method. Kudos to you!

2 Likes

Nvidia has issued a beta driver to me for the issue.

There are 2 issues. The lag based unplayable issue seems to be mostly faced by MSI users and does not affect me as I use an Asus Rog setup.

The other issue is the regular jitter when using any monitoring software which seems to affect most 4090 users.

Just tried the beta for a couple of hours and it’s looking good. Will try for a few more hours before giving a positive feedback to Nvidia.

So there is hope in the near future for all 4090 and Pimax users.

7 Likes

Wheels are in motion, thats good news!

1 Like

Possible temp fix - Hey everyone, thought I’d throw my hat in the ring for the weird lag/ tracking drag issue.

I’m in a completely different situation than most of you, yet share the same problem - I have a 4070ti, and a Vive Pro 1, (90hz) and since upgrading from a 5600xt to the 4070ti I have the headtracking motion lag issue. about 300-400ms I’d guess. I have come across others who have this EXACT problem with the 4070ti, 4080, and 4090 - across VP1, VP2, Pimax and Varjo headsets. So at least we share that in common.

All my stats are in the green. Funny thing is if you watch the controller in the headset, the controller does NOT have the lag, which means its purely something to do with the relay of the head tracking. I do NOT have this problem with my quest 2 either, while using steamvr as well.

However, I found a bit of a temp fix. I’m the guy on the reddit thread that disabled direct display and got it to go away. As long as I’m running the VP1 as a extra monitor, and just turn it on when I want to use steamvr, with DD off the headtracking lag is COMPLETELY gone. (however dd off causes other stupid problems with fullscreen bs) buuut the lag is fixed.

@Goosekr I’ve got the Asus TUF OC 4070ti so apparently that lag problem is literally everywhere.

If anyone here can test the VP1 and see if they also have that lag problem on it it’d be appreciated. Or if anyone’s got any of those beta drivers…

Does the Pimax use USB relay for its motion tracking? I believe the Vive Pro does. Considering the tracking delay appears only in the headset tracking, and NOT in the controller tracking, that might mean something.

1 Like

Welcome to the OpenMR!

:vulcan_salute::sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

Welcome to the OpenMR!

:vulcan_salute::sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes