Calm and civil discorse about update 31-07

@deletedpimaxrep1 could you post benchmark results of the 8k using different graphic cards and Futuremark’s VRMark ?

It depends on what “performs” and “better” mean in this context. Yes, your GPU would need to generate fewer frames at 80 Hz, but if it can’t keep up, you drop to 40 unique frames per second. If it can’t keep up with 90, but can at 45, I would think the experience would be “better”. That’s an extra 12% unique framerate boost.

Regardless, the original statement is ambiguous. Perhaps Pimax will clarify what they mean, before we need to decide on which headset we want.

What a dilemma for Pimax. Imagine they discover a hardware tweak while they are shipping to all of you that want it unfinished (software wise) and they can not tweak it for the ones that decided to wait.

Based on our internal testing and other feedback, we are confident that once tried 8K, it will be hard for you to get used to old generation headsets anymore. We won’t let our backers disappointed.

Hear Hear! as a non-backer I pray this is true. Got cash waiting.

3 Likes

I agree, this statement definitely needs some clarification from @deletedpimaxrep1. What do you mean by better if the output resolution from graphics card is supposed to be the same for 5K and 8K and 5K was supposed to run even at faster refresh (90Hz vs 80Hz)?

3 Likes

This sounds like the SteamVR distortion adjustment everyone was trying to do for the GearVR lenses, except Pimax seems to have the equipment now to do it.

Cant we set a lower res (no more 8k ok) to run it on something smaller than 1070?

Probably, but I imagine it depends on the game.

1 Like

There a two, three possibilities IMHO

One is the scaler isn’t that sophisticated because it may not generate delays, then a simple upscale might need a better/finer detailed input so scaling won’t show artifacts. That could make super sampling necessary.

Another one is that the delay of scaling doesn’t work as well with that brain warp and so higher FPS input signal is necessary because of this.

But sure, a 10% higher framerate with lesser requirements at same input resolution is a bit odd. The news text was quite long, was it some sort of misunderstanding and translation maybe?

so according to the short explanation added to the recent info by Xunshu my first guess is most likely the right one. The scaler needs super sampled input source where the non scaled version of a 5k is much more forgiving…

1 Like

Exactly, i am one of the latest backers for the full 8k package, and will happily wait for the controllers, software to be ready and my place in line. If there will be some last kinks to iron out, well…i rather have them done before recieving anything. And i’m getting more and more assured that the Pimax team works hard with the testers to give us a great piece of equipment in the end. Even trying to implement our requests as much as possible. Evertime we get an update, i really understand the labour that’s been done in the time between. Communication could be better in between, read: more frequently, but for all the rest? Respect! And thanks, Pimax, for keeping focus on making a good as possible product.

8 Likes

I find this update quite misty to be honest.
No data is given regarding when shipping to backers.
No explanation what is really changed between M1 and M2.
The NDA still not lifted.
I am pleased with the update, don’t get me wrong, but it is covered in smoke.

5 Likes

Sounds good. At this point I’m personally in no real hurry until the new GPUs are out and actually in hand. So the more polish on the 8k in the meantime, the better.

1 Like

@deletedpimaxrep1
I’d Also like more details regarding this paragraph if possible, as It looks like a big improvement. Does this new equipment for lens correction works at a basic rendering level or does It need to be’ adjusted on a per game basis? Generally, how does It work and how the Pimax team managed to extend the tested FOV up to 190°? I’m very curious about this as i take It It was not a small accomplishment for Pimax engineers and i hope it will be addressed in more details in the next updates.

3 Likes

It all depends on what game you play…

5 Likes

I’m hoping that is only necessary for retail release, not backers. Of course, clarification of that would be nice.

1 Like

No its for improving the lens distortions at the edges (as it says in the announcement), which is not game specific.

9 Likes

[quote=“SweViver, post:74, topic:7261, full:true”][quote=“jTeller, post:41, topic:7261”]
Based on the below quote can you tell us if the GTX 1070 will perform reasonably well in most games at a minimum of 170 degrees FOV??[/quote]
It all depends on what game you play…[/quote]
And what (minimum) quality level you can accept, as well as your tolerance for reprojection.

i will not expect anything before chrismas. it would be naiv after all the delays to expect that exactly now everything suddenly will run like planned. They will show the m2, probably there will be some issues, they will try something else (maybe other technology in some part of the headset) and have to accept an other delay and so on. Also…even if they say there will be just software changes,…and some of the backers already get the headset…but suddenly they notice…oh oh we have to change something in the hardware, everybody who got the headset already will be angry.

dont understand me wrong. I’m at the point where i would say pimax should take all the time they need to make the headset perfect, even if it takes another 6 month. in the beginning i wanted to pledge for the X Version but i didnt want to wait till Mai (lol), i bought an 1080ti in december mainly for the 8k, and now one week ago i bought a windows mixed reality headset. So probably i did everything wrong :smiley: i had the chance to sell my full package early bird pledge for 1399€ (thx to vive pro^^) but i decided to wait and try it myself before selling it. after all the delay the headset should be really awesome. in january/februaray I wouldn’t have been angry about some issues but after all the delay there should not be any big problems and it should run without any stress for me. just my 2 cents

2 Likes

Still nothing on Brainwarp?

1 Like

Of course. I guess by using an 1070 you should be used to reprojection anyway…

1 Like