Bigscreen Beyond - 5k OLED and tiny

Meanwhile Somnium vr 1 with 210 nits per eye xD

3 Likes

Somnium specs are just paper specs right now, they have yet to show anything substantial or working. I really hope they deliver on what they are promising but for now itā€™s literally just a list of specs on paper, they have no track record of producing hardware whatsoever and come from a pretty sketchy crypto virtual real estate background so I think believe it when you see it (that goes for all headsets tbf though ha).

That brightness on the beyond is rough though. The brightness on crystal is possibly my favourite aspect of the headset. The beyond is still extremely appealing though, it does so much I like.

Do we know what the max brightness on the crystal is? I might try to get a cheap measurement tool for it if not (if such a device has a budget option).

2 Likes

yeah me too :smiley:

1 Like

Anyone know the brightness of the G2 for comparison? Finding it hard to Google a reliable figure

1 Like

according to this website the crytal hast a brighness of 200 nits , I couldnt find though the brightness of the g2

2 Likes

Just pointing out that the beyond does have an optional audio strap and from what Iā€™ve heard on their discord itā€™s actually supposed to have quality audio components so I guess itā€™s good to have the option to use your own or pony up an extra hundred notes for the audio strap.
Also I wonder if the made to measure your face cover which allows for no light leakage affects the brightness compared to other headsets with generic face cushion.

3 Likes

I am honestly tempted to buy this just to support BigScreen but also because a tiny VR hmd would be dope af for me as a movie buff. Plus my head starts to hurt from pressure of most VR headset with long use. Exceptions being VIVE pro and my StarVR unit which have great straps/low weight.

2 Likes

Now that Beyond has a wider FOV it does get elevated on the RoS scale. My only gripe is the price. If was Ā£800 it would be on my shopping list.

Iā€™m still holding out for either Somnium VR-1 or Index2.

3 Likes

I gotta say if Valve announce Deckard before Q4 then my beyond preorder gets cancelled in a heartbeat, the Somnium is a tricky one. Itā€™s the usual trade off. I really want micro oled in my next headset for space sims, local dimming is great but not as perfect blacks as oled.
Then that 120 degree fov with Somnium, hopefully they donā€™t release this year so I donā€™t have to wrestle over this.

2 Likes

Where does this scale come from?

1 Like

Its points awarded dependant on individual assessed attributes.

As for who awards the points, thatā€™s me. But letā€™s face it itā€™s hard not to agree.

As my example shows PSVR 2 has the highest RoS due to its price, specs, game support, etc.

Pico scores 90 but because it doesnā€™t have any game exclusives it didnā€™t get the the magic 100.

Bigscreen Beyond goes into production.

2 Likes

Since the FOV had been improved and I already own base stations and Lighthouses I have to say Iā€™m tempted. The size and the OLEDs make this a huge jump over the Index and I can see a lot of people buying this for FPS and Beatsaber.

Butttā€¦ I still prefer the Somnium VR-1 with aspherical lenses, 2880x2880 and bigger FOV and Knuckles support.

Then the wait for the Index 2 goes onā€¦.

2 Likes

The audio strap is on course for Q4 so if that delivers quality audio which I think it will I can see this being a good seller.

2 Likes

I have to say, the Beyond headset with this audio strap looks quite sexy. I will be carefully reading the reviews once itā€˜s out in the wild (and not only with those who were under NDA for 2 years as they might be biased a bit due to their involvement).

3 Likes

Jupp !
IĀ“ll get one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder how large the cut-out market may be for these new and recent HMDs with pancake optics (ā€¦and thus smaller display panels), of people who have previously had a bad time with VR headsets, but whose smaller-than-average IPD is now finally accomodated. Also wondering whether they could go even lower than 55mm. It may be the case that we are talking a relatively small percentile of people, but I really think as many as possible should be catered to. :7

1 Like

Monitoring this HMD with the exact same perspective.

I need something new for my motion rig, Crystal is out of the question and Varjo havenā€™t announced anything new for almost 2 1/2 years now.

2 Likes

Why is crystal out of the question ?

1 Like

The size, the tracking, the price, the no native lighthouse setup, the use of a battery, the fact a Pico4 does AIO for Ā£380 has a huge choice of games and works pretty flawlessly.

1 Like