Bigscreen Beyond - 5k OLED and tiny

But you cant compare the colors and sharpness of the pico 4 to the crytal xD

2 Likes

Size is bigger than needed. Price is fine as it compares well with slightly lower priced hmds and is more economical than even higher priced hmds with less features and controllers/tracking sold separately.

Tracking as it is Qualcomm is fixable through software as other xr2 hmds have decent tracking. Qualcomm is likely working with pimax to fix there tracking for inside out.

@Atmos is incorrect about native LH support as that just requires the optional fp when it is available for purchase.

Now @twack3r and others might be put off with needing the battery in pc tethered mode. However if using un a sim rig you could just run a quality usb-c charger plugged into the side usb-c port. For room scale tethered or wireless? Plug an battery bank in.

I said native. Crystal does not natively have lighthouse support. Buying a future add on is not native. I canā€™t possibly be incorrect.

I didnā€™t. You can compare tracking, wireless, store, FOV, size, weight, price, ease of use. But if image quality is your priority then Crystal is the best, sure.

Three issues really, in order of relevance to me:

1. the weight; I mainly use VR on my motion rig and have been in touch with a plethora of likeminded enthusiasts who went 1st wave on the Crystal. It is so heavy and therefore has so much inertia that for simracing in a 6DOF rig tuned specifically for accel to simulate GForce cues, it is almost unusable. A lot of time is apparently spent re-adjusting mid-race to get back into the sweet spot and that is aggravating an issue I already have with my VR-3. I yearn for a nimble and light HMD.
  2. built quality; Iā€˜m not prepared to get back into Pimax standards when it comes to that. I admit itā€™s laughable when in use but Varjoā€˜s quality of materials used and the execution they offer has spoiled me.
  3. software; it continues to be more janky than Iā€˜m prepared to invest time into. I want set and forget, not ā€šhave you tried random fw, with obscure sw and driver stackā€˜. As life apparently goes, I am down to about 2-3h of available VR time per week. I am not prepared to spend it tinkering.
4 Likes

it is still native via an add on. Not like having to use a vive tracker like ppl used to do on other hmds. Vive Cosmos was it? also had the lh fp as ab optional native addon.

Thats not native then. Otherwise any HMD is native anything if thereā€™s an add-on down the road.

I could say my Index has native wireless, native hand tracking, native Inside out tracking with its build in cameras.

If the Crystal came with the LH face place in the box then sure that would make it native.

When is that face plate coming out anyway and how much is it going to cost? When you add on the cost then put it up against Beyond the Crystal is going to be nearly double the price.

1 Like

First party addons are native. Having tracking faceplates simply gives other native options.

Using Open Space calibrator a 3rdparty program is not native as it is not made by the first party.

If the Index Wireless module is made by valve or commissioned by valve then the wireless addon is native vs say using tpcast.

Now you can say these are optional native addons.

The watchman dongle in the Crystal will from what I read allow you to pair the index controllers to it. But of course without the lh fp it doesnā€™t work as there is nothing tracking the hmd. This is where it seems because crystal has support for LH tracking that Openspace calibrator is not able to function as it does on truly not lh native hmds.

Release date? see ā€œpimax coming soonā€ :thinking::upside_down_face:

Tbh not sure what is taking so long to maje this as it in theory is just a reshaped tracker without a battery.

Price? Not sure but iirc think $200 with -$100 off for previous pimax owners.

Only thing I can see might be an issue depending on design. is maybe like Etee the onboard imus are disabled when using the Tg0 Steamvr trackers the controllers use the imus in the tracker instead.

I do understand, my japanese wife has also a ultra low ipd.
I did also wonder about that one.

Just preordered the BSB, looking forward to it!

5 Likes

Cool. Hopefully the audio strap gets released at the same time.

1 Like

I also feel this is the most exciting new headset actually in production. Must say though, I have a couple of initial concerns. Mrtv talked recently about the facial interface leaving his face feeling sticky whilst John Carmack mentioned lack of ventilation. Perhaps I also am spoiled by active cooling in Varjo.
Then there is lack of eye tracking just at a time when DFR seems to be getting its act together.
I understand the intended demographic is movie audiences so not sure us simmers can really complain about that.
Never gonna be a perfect headset I guess so just gotta decide what I can happily do without.

1 Like

At the moment I see Crystal best for simmers of which I am not one. Bigscreen Beyond best for BeatSaber, FPS and then Somnium which fall between the two.

2 Likes

In MRTVs newest Video he said the stickyness is only of concern in hot environments or doing sports-like activities.

1 Like

Pimax: ā€œHold my beerā€

Seriously though it would not surprise me if behind closed doors Pimax were planning something with mOLED.

I hope Pimax is in discussions with these guys, since they seem to be looking for partners

Imagine the 12K mOLED. The size of Arpara but with 8KX FOV.

My money would be out of my wallet so fast it would make Apple blush.

5 Likes

Or in my VR room which is on the top floor of my house in the summer with useless AC.

3 Likes

Some of us (me) are also significantly more prone to perspirate than most. :frowning:

2 Likes