Bigscreen Beyond - 5k OLED and tiny

now 32 PPD also lol and just look at the size of the ting in comparision to the crystal wich is pretty much as big and heavy as the 8kx

5 Likes

Indeed and as Green demoed on Discord with 5kS on a amd Apu 6800u. If Beyond can work on a similar laptop you have pc Standalone relatively wireless.

Though your pic is not a crystal thr sizing is close enough.

1 Like

Sooo… He mentioned canting as a factor… He also said the Beyond has “equivalent to the Valve Index” stereo overlap… Sooo… Did the old Beyond have better overlap or not? (I am not content with the overlap in my Index, by the way.)

1 Like

bradley said the first had bit better overlap,but had other issues like blur at the edges,curious if they need higher resolution like paralel projection now.

1 Like

What is the vfov? 102 wide sounds decent bring only 1° less thsn Crystal.

Be interesting if Edge distortion can be fixed. Though may need new optics for that or an ET with ddc.

His remark about being able to read the small print on bottles isn’t relevant as focus distance isn’t the same in VR as real life. I can read the smallest print on them on a 5K+ at 2160x2104 (that’s Pimax Normal fov at 90 Hz)
Here’s the diff.In ALYX the closer i get the smaller I can read. To read a number under a bar code on a bottle I’m an inch off my face. This is without the the 2.5 diopter reading glasses I would need in real life. In RL with reading glasses I would be about 4 inches off my face and without reading glasses would not be able to read text even 3 font sizes larger.
This illustrates that VR does not replicate RL far-sightedness ergo his remark was moot. I think it does throw into question any attempt to measure accurately by comparing VR to our visual capability externally.

1 Like

vodoo got 96 but his measurements are all over the place,g2 at 78 horizontal wth?needs a risa test to see whats the max there was a beta tester on discord maybe he get the new version and do a risa.

1 Like

anyway im sure is much much dimmer than the crystal and no audio,i hate to use separate headphones like with psvr2 its annoying

1 Like

Be interesting to to have hmdq ran on the latest bigscreen and also on latest Test hmd.

It is the vertical in the version voodoode is using that is 10 higher thsn it should be iirc.

The vfov though might be too low by the sounds of it if he is getting 96 - 10 is 86. Do they advertise the vertical?

Yes no Audio included is a pain. but the form factor at least supports own audio better.

The dimmer picture is in part due to the pancake lenses or rather a fair bit of the loss. Be curious how the brightness compares to the 8kX and such.

2 Likes

Yes - I just watched that video; He’s had quite a few different prototypes, apparently.

102 degrees is well in the range of: Just-render-parallel-by-default, like the Index, or any parallel-native headset (not saying you couldn’t have some savings by rendering canted, but that goes for canted- and non-canted headsets, both. :7)

EDIT: HDMQ reads recommended rendered data, mind, whereas VoodooDE was doing real-world tests, which are what is comes down to in the end, albeit differing from user to user. In this one case, because of how they have been comporting themselves, I kind of expect that if they say 102, then that is probably what hdmq will report, too… but that is just part of the data set. :7

2 Likes

It’s a bigger pain for me that audio is there when i don’t use it as it is weight and just in the way on my Pimax and I far prefer my external audio but expect I’m far in the minority on that and understand the reasons most would use an internal system. In my house, I can make all the noise i want (Rock drummer :grinning:)

3 Likes

Hmdq will give max potential FoV. With Beyond as lenses do not move so they have disclosed iirc that max fov width is reduced for users 68mm+ ipd.

So am guessing soft ipd likely decreases rendered fov width.

This headset is looking so tempting right now. I think I’ll have to get one and then decide to keep either it or the crystal. Personally I don’t care about standalone, wireless or eye tracking, and seeing as I already have LH equipment…this is kinda look perfect. My only concern is the brightness but it would need to be an insane downgrade from the crystal to make the comfort not worth it.

Bigscreen are doing a great job, and also their communication and how they are handling everything is an example that Pimax could learn a lot from. Of course lets see how the actual launch goes but they have already had people beta testing the headset for over 2 years now, across many iterations. I don’t think there will be any worries with bigscreen quietly sending the wrong lenses or leaving stuff out of the box but not telling people before they paid etc.

6 Likes

Agreed great communication and a nice form factor. If like the 5kS can run on an Amd 6800u apu easy to make it pc stand-alone for on the go. Be interesting to to see on a z1. Maybe the Asus Rog?

Perhaps pimax can learn from there example for there next product launch. And delay things til it is more reasonable ready state.

1 Like

I think the delay things part is easy enough for them :grinning:

3 Likes

True but they never seem to delay needed things long enough to fix it.

Ie Sword Triggers & enabling sense

• DMAS issues reported by testers

And so many other things like the ET module.

1 Like

Don’t like to be negative but by the time this Crystal is fully functional and stocked by Amazon it will be completely worthless. Once enthusiasts experience high end micro OLED they won’t look back

3 Likes

That was always one of the potential threats to the Crystal. Remember, the original plan was the 12K, and that would/will remain unique for some time as I doubt anybody else will go for such FoV.

I assume they started to notice a number of road blocks for the extremely wide FoV, not only the lens-display chain but also eye-tracking, wireless (think of the resolution!).

So they made the decision to tackle the easier R&D parts first and stuff them into the Crystal, solving a couple of challenges along the way and buying time to solve the riddle that is the 12K.

But as the Crystal is directly competing with other high-end headsets, it can be made obsolete by any new release, and going for a traditional build with big displays & lenses means it is going to face an uphill battle rather sooner than later.

2 Likes

2 Likes