Bigscreen Beyond - 5k OLED and tiny

Moat companies seem to advert more in US dollars.

Do you think the cable is so severe an emcumbrance, that its existence negates all other bulk reductions?

2 Likes

Summa sumarum !

1 Like
4 Likes

If I recall correctly, I think the big screen devs said that their OLED displays were off the shelf, so that could explain why the screen is 1 inch and not bigger

Tyriel seems to like it.

4 Likes

Just cancelled my Crystal preorder and threw my towel in with Bigscreen. Several hundreds of dollars saved, probably a similar fov but itā€™s the comfort thatā€™s really attractive. Many of early testers saying they can wear this for hours, sounds perfect for those long flights in MSFS.

5 Likes

I think it makes sense for a lot of people. If you donā€™t care about eye tracking, standalone, wireless etc then a more stripped down headset with better comfort and price (assuming you already have base stations and controllers, otherwise itā€™s about the same price or more expensive) makes sense.

Iā€™m on the fence, I actually donā€™t really care about the upcoming features of the crystal like ET, wireless and standalone. They are definitely very nice additions and a good value add but they arenā€™t big enough of a deal to really sway my decision. That said the crystal comfort has been fine for me, but Iā€™m sure the beyond is a lot lot better. Anyway, crystal has been fine for me in terms of comfort but what has been great is the brightness of the panels, the colours/contrast, the refresh rate and not needing to us LH. Beyond will have probably better colours/contrast, but likely much dimmer, and definitely with a lower refresh rate (although with OLED response times it may be that 90hz on beyond feels better than 120hz on crystal).

Itā€™s a tough call tbh. I have the crystal right here and right now, so that makes the decision for me. Had they both been available at the same time I probably would have went for the beyond to be totally honest. I might still down the road.

5 Likes

I guess thereā€™s nothing to stop Beyond using the Wigig60 module and turn it into a wireless headset down the road.

We know Sony are releasing a WiFi unit for the PS5 and no doubt PSVR2 will get a similar streaming unit.

Apple are making an offboard unit and Valve are working towards making Steamdeck2 VR compatible.

Theirs nothing to stop Pimax doing the same and I hope the 12k has a major redesign or that will look like a dinosaur before it gets released. Too late for Crystal though.

Next week we should find out what the breakthrough in optics are from Bigscreen and I pray itā€™s 100FOV.

1 Like
1 Like

Right from the get-go I feel those shots validate my opinion about the importance of light power capacity ā€“ the version of each shot with the highest peak brightness (not necessarily the same device in every case - depends on several factors, not least of all what the camera is doing), constantly looked the most like a ā€œreal spaceā€, and least like a ā€œjust a pictureā€, even when it was the one exhibiting lowest resolution, or blurriest focussing ā€“ canā€™t wait for HDR to become standard. :7

1 Like

Iā€™m actually on the fence. The idea of having a lightweight headset with such great comfort is just so attractive. But Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll end up hating the FoVā€¦

Going to see what Apple presents in 9 days first ā€¦ Although Iā€™m pretty sure it will be a disappointment in terms of SteamVR compatibilityā€¦

3 Likes

Thats great too hear,they are working on a little bigger field off view if i am not mistaking(only slightly )

I am also thinking about it but not sure at the momentā€¦And i wish they pumped up the brightness like the psvr2 hdr levelsā€¦

2 Likes
2 Likes

he is still using that broken hmd tool wich messes up vertical fov

2 Likes

Itā€™s now only 4 degrees off Crystal.

3 Likes

Woooh that pretty much kills the Crystal use case. Why would you get a Crystal at this point? All that crap like wireless who cares, most people donā€™t buy a high end headset to watch low end video streaming anyway.

3 Likes

Bigscreen should send a unit to Pimax and have them test the FOV because Iā€™m sure theyā€™d get a 121 degree unit back - certified Pimax style.

5 Likes
1 Like