Bigscreen Beyond - 5k OLED and tiny

One could argue the tethered deserve lightness too :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah yet boats are only tethered when docked or anchored. lol

2 Likes

Theres a new Statement that there will be a higher FOV in 2 weeks they want to do a steatement about thist ? its rumors on reddit.
May get interesting, at least for me, IF it had a index Fov, they can call me in.

2 Likes

Interesting. Wonder if that means it will be 159 now. :wink: Isn’t already supposed to be around or bigger FoV than the Index. :crazy_face:

Oh my bad guess you mean Bigscreen. That could be interesting indeed.

1 Like

index one eye fov, or what?! :rofl:

Seems to be unrealistic but read more than the quest or reverb closer to index and quest pro.Its a staement by a bigscreen dev.
while 109 seem unrealistic, i am still open to see what comes !

3 Likes

1 Like

So if they hit 103 that would be huge and rocket this headsets RoS number significantly.

2 Likes

If they really manage an FOV larger than the Aero, particularly in terms of vFOV, I will preorder immediately!

This is exactly the form factor I was looking for and I am realising more and more that once resolution was a solved issue, it is in fact comfort that is the biggest hurdle to me using VR more than I currently do.

6 Likes

Hopefully this optical breakthrough will involve more than only FOV, given I seem to recall some reviewers mentioning poor edge-to-edge clarity, even with the 90 degree prototype.

With 28ppd today, I suppose a little bit of that would need to be sacrificed for the extra FOV, bringing the resolution down, closer to Reverb/P8kX levels (which is still a massive increase over something like my Index)… Likewise, diluting the light output over a larger FOV should mean a slightly dimmer view, assuming same displays, driven equally hard, and same light-loss in the optical train…

Can’t say I’m not tempted, if they can follow through, having the lighthouse gadgetry already. :7

5 Likes

They were laughing on the latest MRTV podcast at the difference in size between Crystal and Beyond.

Can you imagine the absurdity of it if Beyond suddenly had a bigger FOV than Crystals!

4 Likes

Cas from Cas & Chary has issued this video of one month with the Beyond:

I have to say I am starting to slowly but steadily get more intrigued by this headset. If they can get us a FoV which is on par with what we have today, no smear and reasonable edge2edge clarity, I might just be getting me one.

I mean the Crystal may have even more ppd, but that alone would still be no competition if there is this absurd discrepancy in form factor, comfort, weight.

It only becomes a serious conversation if wireless and DFR are working reliably. In that case it would be a tough one.

But I admit I am craving to finally have a small, hardly noticeable headset after years of putting up with shoe-box sized bricks on my head. My current G2 is already a relief in that regard compared to my 8KX, but this would bring it to a new level.

If a 12K releases in 2024/2025, that might be a different story due to the FoV, and by that time Pimax may have sorted out some of the kinks we see in the Crystal. But imagining to go to the 12K after having used the Beyond for a year seems quite bitter-sweet in terms of what you loose to gain the super-wide FoV…

8 Likes

I’m not sure why any manufacturer making a tethered headset obsesses on size. .

Innovation.

1 Like

See, Bigscreen know how to tell it straight.

IMG_9658

Why Pimax can’t make it this simple by adding tax and shipping to their prices.

Well to be fair, you’re quoting in GBP. In USA quotes mostly are without VAT.

1 Like

You have seen their fov numbers. Do you really want them doing the math? :laughing:

4 Likes

Yeah, but Pimax are in China and ship from China direct although yeah they chose to do transactions in dollars.

I thought Pimax were having local hubs as distributors?

Haha, this is why I wait for Amazon lol

I’m not sure why Bigscreen a new company with no previous hardware experience can be doing things Pimax after 7 years can’t.

Sure as @Djonko said that is a direct ad for uk? So of course it should include VAT even without needing to advertise it.

Now if it was targeted in US dollars outside of the UK & EU. Not really required.

2 Likes