A collection of settings for the 8KX and 4090

Strange… i cant get that high,i must let it on 100% in steam sampling…
Or is it the fresh install maybe?

1 Like

By the way what are the default settings?

1 Like

I have verified that it’s not being capped by my configuration for SteamVR:

“maxRecommendedResolution”: 8192

Right now it looks to me like something is constraining it to 4096 max for some games. Possibly this is only happening with the 4090 or the newest driver updates to support it or possibly it was always there before but nobody was attempting to run at such resolutions before because no previous GPU could handle it anyway.

Some games I saw this apparent max resolution in: Half Life Alyx, Contractors VR, Kayak VR, Walkabout Mini Golf, Aircar, After the Fall.

1 Like

off the top of my head i’m not sure tbh i didn’t look i just jumped straight into a quick race.

2 Likes

Update: With further testing, I have discovered that this is not actually a cap. Rather what’s happening is the resolution change (either to higher or lower resolution) is not actually taking place in real time. This appears to have become unreliable. Sometimes the resolution change takes place and sometimes it does not. It appears to be random.

Are other people experiencing this?

1 Like

I have noticed that also, it seems to change the visible area, but still renders the same at least Form larger to smaller but wanted to check that again with numbers…

Did you set the steam sampling in the pitool experience app under project cars 2?or did you do it ingame?

1 Like

I set the Steam SS in SteamVR, in per application settings (I chose PC2). It did look good but I can’t say for sure it worked :thinking:

1 Like

i dont get it i get about 62 frames on large field off view on high and ultra settings But sampling on 100% in steam…

1 Like

Well the 8KX does not use 8K as it’s total resolution. It depends on the mode. In parallel projection mode it is a whopping 8320 x 3948 (32.84MP). Whereas With parallel projection off it is 5092*3160 (16.1MP)
What you’ve benchmarked (33.17 MP) is just a tad more than the large FOV of parallel projections on, but a whole lot more than that of games that can support canted displays.

• which I wanted to ensure you were aware Half-Life ALyx does work with if you use the command line options -console -vconsole +sc_no_cull 1 +vr_enable_volume_fog 0
1 Like

hmm it’s strange how we are getting different results for PC2. your unigine benchmarks seem ok so it can’t be anything wrong with your pc. idk what to suggest sorry dude.

ah right ok thx. so what i benchmarked, games don’t generally reach that. so i still might benefit from a cpu upgrade…i’m very tempted.

i’m due another alyx playthrough so will use those launch options, thx, i bet it looks fantastic :+1:

1 Like

You will certainly benefit from a CPU upgrade - I went from 9700K to 12700K and the difference was only about 5-10% on average at the time - but with a 4090, most of my games are now CPU bound. Particularly close to 90FPS. The difference in single core is ~15%, so that really does mean the difference between 75FPS and 90 FPS in almost all CPU-bound cases; more in others that use multi-threading.

1 Like

i use for halflife alyx,this start up

-console -vconsole +sc_no_cull 1 +vr_multiview_instancing 0 +vr_shadow_map_culling 0 +volume_fog_enable_stereo 0

It looks stunning

2 Likes

Yeah I like your settings better I just couldn’t find the exact ones.

2 Likes

I would recommend installing fpsVR to easily determine whether your frame rate is GPU limited or CPU limited.

Since upgrading to a 4090, I am discovering that where I was almost always GPU limited before, in many situations my frame rate is now CPU limited. And that’s with an AMD 5900X. It’s making me consider upgrading to a 7900X.

fpsVR displays graphs of the frame time for both GPU and CPU which makes it easy to see visually in real time where you are bottlenecked and how badly.

2 Likes

To add onto this, don’t just check the CPU frame times, but also GPU utilization. If you’re sitting below 90% usage and yet still are falling short of maxing out your refresh rate, may point toward either a CPU bottleneck or optimization issues.

CPU utilization is not quite as accurate a measure(That’s why you check frame times for it) because gaming is hugely on single core performance vs multi-core, so you’ll pretty much NEVER see remotely close to 100% usage on any modern CPU, like you would with a GPU, since it’ll often only be stressing a single core and then some extras. For example, on my 12900k. I’d seldom see greater than 20% utilization However, there were times where my CPU frame time spikes were AWFUL but I was utilizing 95%+ of my GPU, which would indicate it’s just a GPU bottleneck as my base frames were so low(Not even cracking 40FPS). But other times, I could be seeing that despite only having around 60% GPU utilization, which indicates optimization or CPU issues, rather than GPU.

2 Likes

Could you tell me wich games please, i know resident evil 2 vr mod main hall is a big one…i am trying too compare

1 Like

Updated to Pitool 283, and it doesn’t seem to have any effect on this behavior. This could be a Pimax issue or it could be a driver issue or SteamVR issue.

I’ve had no issues with Pitool 283, by the way. It’s nice because it eliminates all the bad English in the UI.

So far I’ve only been CPU limited in VRChat worlds where there are a lot of avatars. Previously I was GPU limited in those situations.

1 Like

Ah yes fpsVR i forgot about that i do own it so will use it thx for the heads up.

1 Like