8KX vs HP Reverb, a new sample clip

I think Vive has better graphics and screen window

1 Like

I still remember the Article in Journey To Infinite? The fellow at the Berlin meetup that talked about difficulties rendering Canted Displays & mentioned Oculus Half Dome will have similar issues due to Curved displays.

2 Likes

Original images, shot at 30mm MACRO 1:1.25 lens (Micro Four Thirds, which is 60mm full frame equivalent)
The original image is maybe 40 degrees FOV of the full image in VR.

Note that the 8K+ camera position is higher here, but distance is the same of course. Hence the different POV.

For reference, here is the same distance and Point Of View shot with the same camera but with 12mm lens. Its still maybe covering 130 FOV only of the Pimax:

This maybe shows how small that area is (in reality) of the images below (after cropping):

Hope you get my point :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s the same effect when NPCs walk about 5m away from you in Skyrim. You can never make out their eyes on the OG Vive. I always found that disturbing.

1 Like

Just tried it a few minutes ago. Only difference I see so far is that the resolution with SteamVR SS100% is higher than before. Red smear still there

5 Likes

Yeah Martin nice to have all these comparison pictures but don’t exhaust yourself proving a point… kompis. Let people question about your motives and opinios, well, thats their problem, you do your work, most people enjoys it!

8 Likes

Thanks man. Yeah its hopeless… :wink:

8 Likes

Red smear is HW defect. Anyway so far no footage is done with correct SW on reverb. Good to know.

All footage so far was done with SteamVR SS 200% on HP Reverb on normal WMR version, so the resolution is higher than WMR Beta resolution at SteamVR SS 100%.

3 Likes

Can you actually play the game with those settings?

1 Like

Now, that truth said; It does stand to reason that the + would become a little bit grayer than the X, where you have edges between different hues, and the softening from an additional resampling step (EDIT2: …as well as any preceeding downsampling when rendering for 1440p, and maybe supersampling) would bring an extra instance of blending pixel values (EDIT: presuming RGB rather than HSV here). :7

1 Like

Maybe HW defect prevents SW bug to be seen… Anyway thanks for honest answers.

1 Like

He just told he tried it on both. But if a hardware defect not surprising with HP unfortunately.

1 Like

SteamVR SS 100% on all Pimax shots, PiTool 1.0 Normal FOV. 90fps with 2080Ti in Skyrim
SteamVR SS 200% was used on HP Reverb because it has ridiculous low resolution on default.

Edit: Well… 75fps on 8KX of course, 90fps on 8K+ same settings :wink:

5 Likes

I have no idea. I havent tested a Reverb v2, so I cant tell the difference :frowning:

4 Likes

Would be nice if one could set render resolution in center-of-view PPD (EDIT: …with all relevant factors automatically calculated)…

Ok it looked like you said 200 on the pimax. Thanks…

2 Likes

Thats what FFR is for, and it helps a lot, in games that supports it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, no - that’s not what I was shooting for – on the contrary in a way; More a thing to help comparing apples to apples, without having to bring out the old slide rule. :confused:

(EDIT: The reason I mentioned the center of the view, was only because of the matter of PPD varying across the FOV :7. EDIT2: …and not for foveation purposes, that is; Just to to get to have one single value to go by, when designating how densely one sample the world :P))

1 Like

Ok, so will you will keep defective reverb for future comparisons?Just RMA the thing?Compare pimaxes in meantime. My 2 cents.

3 Likes