8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

What about even using the knobs in a smaller version, similar to the one used on the back of the strap. Twist, and locks in. Angle any way you want basically. Not sure how they decided this angle works best for every head size

1 Like

I have seen over 5 folks including @rsbell stating the same issue. He is a mod on r/pimax official

Let’s not presume “most” of us and use the pronoun “some of us like myself”.

3 Likes

no, that would be offensive to a potential minority such as me

… i am just kidding, you know that right?

3 Likes

Did you count the folks at ces? And we know the items at ces were not final as nothing released for 7 months.

Let’s avoid these kinds of presumptions as very few have received the final MAS. As I recall you only have an 8k+ without the MAS.

So please stay on the Op’s topic instead of trying to derail it.

1 Like

anyways, the replacement part is trivial to make for someone less rusty in fusion 360 than me, I’m planing on making two versions, one that isn’t as likely to chew up the stop bumps as the original one and one that doesn’t engage with them at all.

3 Likes

Well this helps to identify where the design issue is.

1 Like

Please update us when anyone makes such an adapter

1 Like

Same here. In fact, I took the top Velcro strap off the eliminate it as a cause of the issue. Didn’t make a difference.

3 Likes

Exactly. 202020202020

1 Like

Yep. I tested it at CES and this year, and the MAS was more comfortable then.

4 Likes

Look at the video (Sebastian wearing the 8KX) and you can notice the line you can put across headset, ears and back foam. These are my 8KX MAS pictures:

if I try to push the back foam any lower, it creates a gap between lower face foam and the nose, the lower I push the back foam, the bigger is the gap, up to 10mm.

9 Likes

Correct - hence the reason for my posting and hopefully someone creates a way we can all still use the MAS and change this angle to go lower in the back.

3 Likes

Yes… just a little lower in the back would be awesome :+1:

2 Likes

So I did some more experimenting. I guess since I have extra padding and need the headset angled out from the bottom more (I guess my forehead is a little big), I was keeping the headset sort of “hanging out” like @asonkin65 mentioned. I guess the inconsistency was why I’ve experimented with fitment for weeks…With extra padding, it was still touching my cheeks which seemed fine…but today after trying to get the headset more flush to my face, the picture is definitely more “stable” and less warpy/distortion…so now I’m also thinking we need to be able to lower the back more while keeping the headset flush to the face. I now remember this issue in the NYC meetup, so I don’t think the strap was drastically different.

4 Likes

Exactly why i always keep the hmd’s flush against my face as well, and the fact that it’s higher up, is causing it to open up even just slightly on the bottom is no good.

I also just found another issue with heat on the top of the headset near the Cable, even though the PC is off. I will start another thread and see if anyone else is noticing this.

1 Like

I always hold down the power button so the front light is off, and power is red…never noticed heat but I’ll check it out again.

I never powered it down. It just goes red when i power the pc off, but it seems like thats just a “sleep” mode and now must actually be turned off because the headset is getting powered or the chevron is causing the heat. I never saw the chevron lit up even slightly when my PC was completely powered off. Strange.

I power headset off completely when I’m not using

https://community.openmr.ai/t/8k-x-i-noticed-it-gets-hot-even-when-the-pc-is-off-but-theres-2-stages-for-the-off-switch/30619

I opened a new post about it. I also just powered it off completely. I never did that with the 5k+ before, but it seems like i may have to now just to be safe with the heat i felt on the top… I’ll monitor it with the power completely off to make sure it’s not heating up any more too.

1 Like

Yeah, I feel the heat above the cable too now, so powering it off doesn’t fix it…no heat in the front of the headset like when it’s fully on…kind of annoying since I thought it was truly off and didn’t need to unplug…looks like I’m unplugging it now.

1 Like