8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

Hi Guys!

I’ve noticed at least one other person with an 8K X that agreed with my conclusions on the MAS and said that it does not sit comfortably on their head, which is the same issue I have. I threw the MAS right back in the box and put the DAS back on from my 5k+…

The hinges on the MAS are angled to keep the MAS upwards, and the back of the MAS sits on the top of my head, and not on the back of my head.

If anyone is able to 3d print a design to force the MAS to come down lower, please share it here with the community. It’s so sad that the MAS is just a waste the way it’s designed now and can’t be used in the future with the Deluxe upgrade coming.

4 Likes

You have to loosen the strap at the top, then you get lower at the back.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’ll come down as far as you want by adjusting the Velcro on the top strap.

1 Like

Thats not true. I tried that The hinges dont allow it to come down more.

3 Likes

ahh ok that’s bad, apparently, however, thousands of testers at CES had no problems so it’s probably not terrible for everyone. I don’t have mine yet, on the Vive Pro the same headband is comfortable.

1 Like

Ok, granted it comes down as far as I could want, loosening the strap allows you to pull it lower on the back because there will be more room for the head. but you’re right, it won’t let you pass the hinge over midway

1 Like

I had the vive pro - this is NOT the same.

1 Like

I saw someone else posted online somewhere how it’s also not good for them and they switched back to DAS too… Im wondering if someone will design a hinge that allows it to rotate down lower.

1 Like

I suspect it’s made this way to put pressure on the large pad on the forehead more so then on the cheekbones. In any event it works for me, I hope you find a solution that works for you.

2 Likes

Ye I just moved back to the DAS which has worked fine for me. I hope they make some kind of hinge that allows it to angle down, even if it’s just 15 degrees or so. It just needs a slight bit more so its sitting on the back of my head (on the occipital part of my head, not closer to the crown of my skull)

2 Likes

I just tested on mine and you can pull it down past the stop, probably not a lasting solution but you can at least test if there is an comfortable position at all for you before reinventing the structure.

2 Likes

Can you show what you mean? You were able to pull it past down the stop on the hinge?

well I’m not sure how to describe it, just turn it through the stop. you’ll probably not want to do it to much or you’ll wear the small bumps down that stops it. oh and I’m taking no responsibility at all! you’re experimenting all on your own risk.

4 Likes

The plus there is a link on the forum where one might still get a base Vive Pro strap for $40 :us: and 3dprint adapters.

Not good to hear the modular strap might not be as comfortable as the vive pro strap it seemed to have been based on.

Well, once I have one I can probably make a 3D model of something.
But since my backer account vanished I will not get my box anytime soon…:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

For me 8KX is very comfortable. Just adjusted top strap a bit.

3 Likes

Why was the title of this thread changed by PimaxUSA?

1 Like

Ouch have you file a ticket and contacted @PimaxQuorra and or @Miracle?

1 Like

For which part, the fact that the thread title was changed, or the strap sucks? LOL

2 Likes

The end stop when folding down seems very firm and does not appear as if this is just a slight resistance.
The rotation range is only around 45 degrees.

8KX Headstrap rotation degree

Folding down like in the first picture by @BNP does not seem to be possible with the current versions.
At least not without the risk of breakage.

The comfort of the headset is significantly reduced and the rear bracket can hardly be pulled over the back of the head without the headset being angled upwards.

4 Likes