8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

Well there goes the “most of us” - Theres only 6 or 7 people posting. Some dont even have the 8k x, so far 2 dont like it, and 1 said that it’s ok and wishes it was more adjustable.

Obviously its probably more widespread than we think since not that many actively participate in this forum.

1 Like
1 Like

Yes, I did “of course”.
After asking everyone I’ve been told I created a empty account (lol, my fault?) or I would have no reply for days.
But it is still not fixed…
Sometimes I have no words.

2 Likes

Doesnt mean its the same strap. They said it themselves they were making changes to the modular audio strap many times since they showed it. And in New York it definitely was not feeling this way

1 Like

on the video you can clearly see that the Strap stops at this point.

It isn’t a vive Strap, the vid is from CES, the changes are for the Audio Part.

if it bothers you so, where is your problem loosening the screws, taking a file or a small knife, and filing / cutting the noses? two minutes of work, problem solved.
In the time you are writing here, you could have done it 50 times. :wink:

1 Like

I already solved the issue but i was looking for maybe someone that can make a 3d printed adapter instead of breaking the pieces it came with. My solution right now is to use the Vive DAS.

1 Like

But this on a 1300 dollar device?This shoud have come with a decent strap at this pricepoint…

6 Likes

Yes and i was probably the first order at full price too. I ordered september 2019 before the website preorders started. It is what it is. Im just glad i still use the DAS on the old one

1. where are maybe only 1-2%, who see a problem with this.
  2. it is not the device, only 2 $2 pieces of plastic
  3. The stoppers have a function without which the remaining 98% would complain, maybe
  4. i don’t really like the power window switches in my $ 40,000 car either
2 Likes

Ive seen numerous people say the same thing ive said. I dont know how the 2 people in this forum are saying its a minority of people when ive already spoken to 6 users who have the 8k x and said the DAS does sit higher on the back of their head than they would like.

It is what it is. We’re not here to argue about whether the majority or minority of people have an issue with the strap. I’m asking for myself (and others who find a similar problem), to have a way to modify the adapter so the strap can be lowered more.

Thats all

4 Likes

I have had nothing but praise for 8kx since I be received it. For me the visuals are amazing!! Iracing in cockpit and in the distance is stellar . Even the sound once I ve turned up volume is fine. I’m not disappointed at all with 8kx.

9 Likes

Those you dont realy need …the car still will drive good,but if the strap is not good your vision will be not good in de headset(and this is the main part)

These switches are vital to me because my air conditioning system is defective.

you can not make all for everybody perfect.
For the most testers in the x year dev.time, this was suitable, for the CES Tester also

I love the 8k x and iracing also. Its my main usage for it, but it is annoying the angle of the strap being the way it is.

And yes maybe those who tried at CES who had 5-15minutes to use it thought it was good. I wasnt at CES. I was at the NY Road show and i know for a fact that the strap didnt sit on my head the way it does now.

Something is either different with my strap or they used a different strap design a bit in NY. I tried the headset below i took a screenshot of it off the video, and i can tell the back was lower than it was on my head with the strap i have now. Im not sure what it is, but the angle is definitely not like i had tried it before

7 Likes

I agree about the strap. Preventing the 8KX from tilting down does make it extremely difficult to comfortably position on my head as well.

My bigger issue is that I can’t see clearly in the 8KX except for dead center. I’ve tried everything. Awaiting a thin face foam (to be shipped separately as mine only came with the thick foam) and really hoping it fixes the problem, otherwise I’m going to sell my 8KX :(. Right now it’s just collecting dust as it destroys the immersion for me, and I’m coming from a rift CV1. Really hoping it doesn’t come to that after waiting so long.

4 Likes

I noticed something different where one eye is centered and the other is slightly off in any IPD range ive tried, but thats another issue altogether and its not that bad that i cant live with it. When the clarity is so good, its alot more noticeable compared to my 5k+ for sure.

I noticed this problem with the Odyssey+…either it would sit correctly with the back headstrap on the top of my skull, or the headset angled away from my face with the strap down the back of my head. It was unusable.

For my 8KX, I actually find it usable and very comfortable, more than any other headset, even though it cant go fully down the back of my head(which I just realized after reading this thread). It doesn’t feel like I need it to go lower since it just grabs the back ridge of my head, and if it didn’t have those stops, it wouldn’t help hold the weight of the headset, and I think it would be super heavy on my face. I actually thought mine was more adjustable than you mention, but it only goes this far:

I can’t remember the NYC road show unit much, but I remember the back of the head foam was different, and I didn’t think it was very comfortable to be honest and knew I’d have to possibly mess with it…it was mostly due to the wobble, which is almost fixed with cutting the foam from the box in half as I said in my review and shown in the above picture.

2 Likes

Clarity is definitely better when the lenses are closer to my eyes (you should try holding it close without a face foam to test), however that introduces distortion for me…so I need the headset a little bit further out, but it lowers clarity. Also remember to mess with IPD settings, all of them, because the software horizontal and vertical offsets have been necessary for everything to feel better for me…not perfect, but better.

2 Likes

If they made little ridges maybe, that clicker into place as you turned the knob, it could work. Or possibly another solution altogether. Thats why i made this post to see if anyone has made a diy adapter to 3d print possibly and allow it to angle lower.

True like an adjustable knob like the Vive had for the lenses, only for the strap this time.