8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

Correct!!! That is EXACTLY my problem. I like it below the occipital bone on the back of my head to counter the weight, just like it should be with most vr headsets. This one sits very high up, much higher than any other headset i’ve had and ive had most of the mainstream ones (quest, rift, rift s, index, vive pro, 5k+, 5k+ blue, etc.

3 Likes

Only issue I have to figure out with smas.is.my racing chair has high back so back knob of smas rest on it while racing… its a bit bothersome.

2 Likes

yeah, that back-knob is an annoyance on all rigid head-straps

2 Likes

I use it for sim racing only also, the knob doesnt bother me, because i dont have the headrest sticking out.

2 Likes

I would like the back to come back lower then it does like Mike said

2 Likes

isn’t the stop just a little plastic nose that can be cut away? just asking.

Had nothing but good feedback from Pimax users on our DAS comfort kit

Send us a PM if your keen for a sample

3 Likes

I have the entire Vive DAS, with the weight and the apache strap. Thats why I went back to using it.

4 Likes

I have the same feeling, when I’m using my 8KX, the back part of the MAS is sitting on top of my head.

There is one more thing that I discovered for myself - because of the back part of MAS is using double foam form, I can tilt the 8KX as I want to and then fix it with tightening the MAS. Can it be a feature? I don’t see any other reason to have double layer design. If this a feature, this can explain the 45 degrees stop.

2 Likes

They should have allowed it to tilt lower. It makes no sense they put those notches to stop it at the angle that they did.

1 Like

on my strap it is the bottom of the top left post is just touching the bumps on the lower right that is what stops the rotation. it’ll wear down really fast if it’s being forced.

6 Likes

Right. Those notches basically are in the wrong spots. It should allow it to go lower.

2 Likes

for most of us it works fine, however it is easy to modify or make a print of the link without those notches but personally i don’t think it’ll work well for me if it goes lower.

2 Likes

Why do you say for “most of us” - theres clearly other people saying the same thing im saying. Also, there should be notches that let you click through them and stops, like progressively changing the angle forward/back and locking them in place. That wouldve been a better clip

2 Likes

well i think I’ve seen two of you mention it and since people are far more likely to complain than praise on forums I suspect the majority has no problems with it. so “most of us”

8 Likes

202020 202020zwanzig

1 Like

One of the reasons why this question arised. :wink:

1 Like

Except i also tested it at the roadshow. This is not the same strap they used. They had a Vive Pro strap. This is not the same strap

2 Likes

I ve only had 8kx.for few days so I still have to mess with how it fits on head.i did run 1 1/2 hour race the other night and it wasn’t that bad…:+1:

Would be good if it was more adjustable