8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

This was my successful DIY fix from 3 weeks ago that is simple and able to be done by anybody with a sharp blade which simply extends the down travel without damage to the stops.
It is a no-brainer.

3 Likes

eveybody saw your fix, no need to post it every couple of days, their point is that they bought 1300$ device & don’t want to butcher it so they wait some official feedback & replacement parts etc. It’s clear that the fix is straight forward & can be fixed in a variety ways, but sometimes ppl have no time enough to do it, they wanny try hmd, play some time, if it doesn’t work they request fix & continue doing their business, that’s market, everybody has different context & needs & also for the next customers it will be beneficial if the origin design gets fixed & new orders come with ok comfort.

5 Likes

the problem of pimax is that you constantly need to do something to keep your HDM In ideal conditions, placement, tilting, IPD, lenses, eye relief, different face foams, now hinges.

and the biggest problem is lenses design & too big minimum inter lenses circles distance which makes HMD blur for majority of ppl & leads to all other kind of optical problems if you got bad luck

that’s like a sport car which you mod for pleasure & trying to push boundaries but sometimes it just gets annoying or for some ppl just doesn’t work at all.

4 Likes

Thank you but this post has not been posted every couple of days. I am happy for you to be critical but someone may be interested to try this fix when people are still talking about the problem.
Don’t trouble yourself as I will not post this again.

1 Like

im not against your double posting, just got feeling that you may miss the point of other customers coz you constantly tried to make point that it’s easy peasy fix, do it & be happy, when sometimes ppl just don’t want to care at all, so it doesn’t affect me, but I like to check thread I was part of :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I get that you can cut a bit off of it. In fact i may have considered doing that originally if they actually sent me plastic ones from the start, but Teigue is right. Making all these mods to a $1300 headset shouldnt be happening. They shouldve learned from the mistakes on the 5k+ and not added MORE issues.

6 Likes

well maybe its my english, it wasn’t call to action, it was more like you can, but does it make sense? or you can try to force ppl do it, but it’s not only a way ppl want to fix it, so just was captain obvious statement, I didn’t want to sound rude :wink:

1 Like

It is also a no brainer this manufacturing defect flaw really should not have been shipped.

Out of the box it increases the likelihood of:

1. Bad reviews due to comfort issues. Out of the box MAS and 8kX not comfortable (for some to many).
  2. Consumer returns for Refund as some will deem the headset unusable.

Easy to diy fix or not. Minimally there should either delayed til fixed hinges released or posted a wide update over several platforms identifying this issue and an upcoming fix. Insert a letter into undelivered product explaining new hinges will be released and in the meantime instructions on an easy mod like yours.

5 Likes

Anyone else got them? I got no communication from Pimax and no clue if they are coming. I did not open ticket, just put reply on that thread that was supposed to collect people needing replacement.

I can now confirm this is a serious problem. Neither the stock metal hinges, nor the dimensions of the ‘plastic’ hinges, are workable for me. It is so far off, that none of these stock hinges could possibly be a good fit for anyone.

I am having to 3d print a range of hinges, with a range of slightly different angles, to get a good fit.

3 Likes

I agree the plastic hinges have a similar angle to the prong that’s on the hinge. The plastic is bendable so thats the only reason it will allow the back to go lower. They need to fix this and allow a lower angle. Luckily Teigue made a decent design for a 3d print above that worked for me.

1 Like

Makes one wonder what happened after CES when the delay was announced that they were making metal hinges for durability. The MAS for comfort then had decent reviews. S-Audio was what we all expected - poor.

I will have more to say about the audio in a few hours, but I am mostly positive about that.

It very much looks like insufficient due diligence was done properly setting the angle of that bracket before sending the design to a contract manufacturer. Some changes to the shape of the foam may have also confounded the intended mechanisms of the MAS with the plastic brackets as well.

While I appreciate Pimax’s efforts to innovate, this is why you don’t make major changes without beta testing. Since Pimax was in such a hurry they didn’t have many units to spare, CES/Roadshow was their hardware beta test. Changes that completely change the ergonomics should have been frozen.

Anyway, here are some close-up photos I have of the SMAS from CES 2020. People (including me) liked this, so things went wrong between then and now.

#CESPimax2020Hindsight (just kidding) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

They were more worried about surviving. They were cash strapped until this recent investment infusion. So they probably started to cut corners with some suppliers coming up with bad results in the end. Now its biting them back. Pfffd

1 Like

The hinges do not look that expensive, even having been made of metal.

This looks like maybe the definition of ‘major change’ wasn’t established well enough within the company yet, to mandate beta testing of this feature change.

4 Likes

I have just received my KDMAS and I’m discovering this issue…

I have looked at the internal design and the endstop clearly doesn’t seem to be meant to be overcomed by using brute force.

I even wonder if this could explain why some people don’t have the earphones pressed against their ears, if they have brute-forced those endstops without noticing.

I didn’t (I have tried but stopped as I already had too much force applied imho) and the earphones are correctly pushing on my ears. But for that I also need to tighten the knob significantly, and that could explain why I find the comfort is only average, at best. I have significant pressure at the forehead and at the nose, and the rear pad seems located on the occipital, at best, if not a bit higher, instead of being under it.

But reading above it seems Pimax is sending fixed hinges already ?
Why is Pimax sending the backer box with the faulty hinges if they are perfectly aware of this issue since… September ?!..
Do you need to contact support to receive those new hinges ?

Below is a picture of the max angle the endstops will allow:

4 Likes

In one of the Pimax updates, they wrote that we are supposed to apply some force to put it lower. So I guess this was their answer to the issue.

2 Likes

i wouldnt recommend that, especially if you have the metal hinges. Even the plastic ones i wouldnt recommend that, although its possible and i have tried it myself - they can fail later on though.

2 Likes

It is in the Pimax tutorial yes, but for me this not even a workaround.
This endstop is certainly not meant to be overcomed, what would be the point of having an endstop at all then ?

This hinge just seem to have been produced with a wrong travel angle, many people here seem to draw the same conclusion.

I will try the 3D printed one that was posted in another thread: Pimax 8kX SMAS Hinge by pruban - Thingiverse

2 Likes

I asked about this @PimaxQuorra but no response yet.

1 Like