8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

Please refer back 2 days to my fix and photos which have rectified the problem without damage to the stops.

i got the plastic hinges on the way, so ill check if the angle is the same as the metal ones as well. Should come soon (hopefully) - as i got the tracking number a few hours ago

1 Like

now i toke them off they are indeed the metal ones

1 Like

john2910
On the inside of the hinge is a cap that you give a quarter turn to unlock.
Remove the cap and the hinge will separate the arm from the hinge. You may have to move the arm up or down a bit.
My above posts and photos show a blue mark on the hinge stop face where I shaved 1mm in thickness which gave me the correct down position as shown. There are 2 down stop on each hinge. You will be able to see when you pull them apart.

4 Likes

If there is not too much difference in the hinge angle with the plastic one, you may be able to file enough off to allow the arm to drop to the angle shown in my photo which is perfect for my average size head.

2 Likes

I swapped the metal hinges from left to right… now its somewhat to low… but better then before.

I realy hope they gonne make new metal hinges with the right Angles now @PimaxUSA? .Because alot seemed to have the wrong angle.

So i hope i will get some good ones

2 Likes

I agree. This is a mess the way they made the hinges now. They should have more range of motion.

3 Likes

I realy hope they can make the orginal metal hinges but then with the right angle…Because the metal ones are more premium quality… @PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra

4 Likes

I agree. We are looking into updating the hinge design.

9 Likes

This is good news. I’ve also got the plastic hinges but haven’t been able to force them down. Any more force and I’m worried I’ll break something important

3 Likes

Well forcing them beyond the stops is no real fix. Whether you can do it or not.

6 Likes

Although it is what was stated in one of the weekly updates regarding how to wear the headset.

2 Likes

SO5311 I would like the replacement hinge. It won’t go low enough on the back of my head to keep it from wanting to fall off.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/we-can-replace-the-metal-hinge-in-8kx-for-free-if-you-have-the-needs/30680

2 Likes

After this long wait for a replacement 8K X cable and hinges. Its finally coming today. Woohoo

2 Likes

It came. See below

The plastic can bend so even though it seems like the angle is similar, the plastic bends and thereby causes the further angle.

Also the prong itself is different

1 Like

So I assume this solved your problem with the SMAS strap not going far enough down?

1 Like

Im still not using the SMAS because I’m using the Vive DAS. I wont bother with the SMAS sound… I’m waiting on the deluxe headphones.

In regards to “solving” the issue of the angle - its only just slightly better and the only way to really get it lower is to push the hinge past the stopper, which could eventually wear it away/break it.

It’s not the optimal fix, but I guess it’ll do… I wish they just made it right the first time instead of beta testing this stuff on backers and pre-orders.

4 Likes

so they still didnt fix it??

2 Likes

Gordonau

Octofox

19d

I received my 8KX 2 days ago and although I was thoroughly disappointed in several aspects, I have decided to persevere and hopefully some of the items currently in the mill will improve the performance as it did with the 5K+ which I have been very happy with.
In regard to the hinges, I have modified the plastic hinges fitted to my HMD by removing 1mm off two diametrically opposite lugs on both hinges. The original width was 8mm and now 7mm.
The photos show the total travel now with this mod. I used a Dremel but it could be done carefully with a sharp razor blade.

1 Reply

3 Likes

it was known 1-2 months ago that hinges have the same angles, just plastic one is more flexible + you can push it further stops if apply some force, so actually they didn’t fail with metal ones, well they failed but they did the same (almost identical thing) just property of materials & small prong difference did the problem

But i think the initial problem is that they chosen angle which is way beyond average Joe head shape so it doesn’t work good.

It won’t be a problem if not the stopps, but seems they tried to achieve tilting fixation & proper cheeks weight distribution which are good things, but with this design it seems it’s quite hard to cover different head shapes

2 Likes