8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

I received my 8KX 2 days ago and although I was thoroughly disappointed in several aspects, I have decided to persevere and hopefully some of the items currently in the mill will improve the performance as it did with the 5K+ which I have been very happy with.
In regard to the hinges, I have modified the plastic hinges fitted to my HMD by removing 1mm off two diametrically opposite lugs on both hinges. The original width was 8mm and now 7mm.
The photos show the total travel now with this mod. I used a Dremel but it could be done carefully with a sharp razor blade.
The adjustment is by removing at least 1mm from the face of the down stop lug which allows approximately 15 degrees more travel without affecting the up travel. If you measure the width across the inner flange on the hinge shaft, by removing 1mm from the 2 down stops the width of that flange will be 7mm. Please advise if you require further explanation and I assume everyone by now knows how to disassemble the hinges. I am a retired aircraft maintenance engineer with 50 years experience.

4 Likes

I too have the plastic hinge and while it did have similar resistance on the first rotations it’s now rotated at least a thousand times and hasn’t broken or appear to have weakened.

The responses are not the same as what john is saying - he says his absolutely cannot be rotated beyond a very significant angle. It seems everyone here with the plastic (not metal hinge) except john has a similar experience to my own.

It seems his issue can be resolved by just shipping him some new hinges and his problem reads different than the others discussing this here.

That said we will of course continue to refine the hinge design. But I’ve had this for a long time and it’s gone through a great deal of use and there is no sign the hinge boss is failing.

1 Like

I called this a “temporary fix” but I won’t be changing my hinges because with proper handling they will not break.

1 Like

Pimax COO
Thank you for responding. When you force the arm past the initial stop does it lodge in the groove that is between the up and down stop lugs which would hold the head rest in a fixed position or does it drop down further?

2 Likes

then please remove the hinges and examine the wear and tear.

2 Likes

Most likely the outer stops will be flattened or sheared off.

1 Like

I already had messages from people who have exactly have the same problem,i already did ask for new hinges but i still have no resonse on that(support email and here on the forum)

A pitty i cant use the pimax 8kx after the very very long wait…

4 Likes

I had actually hoped I’d get the metal hinges, so that I could determine if there was a reasonable DIY solution. I’m not unhappy that I got the plastic ones, but it means that I can’t help others fix theirs. Given Pimax’s shipping issues, I’d hate to be waiting for another shipment to fix a problem.

4 Likes

John2910
Use my fix I have provided above. It is simple enough and take you roughly 30 minutes.
It does not weaken the hinge.

Has anyone checked to other part of the strap, maybe the grove/slot/hole is different, and not the metal/plastic part.

2 Likes

yes we did on plastic & metal strap diameter is different by about 1.2mm

2 Likes

That’s as flat as my headset arms will go. Unwearable for me unfortunately. Seems like a dark blue metal hinge. Anyone know when the plastic hinges will be sent? I’d really like to use it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yes you got a metal one, plastic ones have cut area on bottom left corner as on your image

5 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation.

Hi Pimax COO,
Do you have an estimate regarding when we’ll receive the plastic hinge replacements?
Many thanks,
John

1 Like

Hi BNP,
If I print the metal versions of these in plastic will I be able to replace my current mental ones?
I haven’t got a 3D printer so will outsource. What material would you suggest I print them in?
Cheers,
John

1 Like

Hi, I think only Teigue has a plastic version of the metal hinge, you should probably check with him. Regarding the material I’ve been printing my versions in PLA and that works just fine. But i suspect most materials will do just fine.

1 Like

I was one of the first to request them - its been about a month and still waiting. They told me it would ship with a replacement cable i needed also, 2 weeks back, and im still waiting.

3 Likes

I test printed them in PLA (the only material ive ever used) - and its fine - just as strong as the hinges for the 5k+ and DAS

4 Likes

Was the slot the hinge fits into in a different position ?

1 Like