8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

I understand you, but for me it has to be that I can move the mas all the way up so that my head fits in easily.i don’t want to blame anyone but pimax for a bad job. I would just like to point out, if you do turn the whole part elsewhere maybe a new problem for others appears.

Thingiverse has a video with instruction how to change angle (what we just discussed) & the diameter of prong (what @Gordonau did), so it’s configurable & you can decrease it for your taste so it can move more in both directions.

Nothing requires changes apart of 2 fields numbers input as shown on video & exporting stls. I anticipated that it will have many preferences & tried to keep it configurable + to prepare 2 basic sets as you tried (with 55 degrees angle).

Anoter option is to delete the prong part for strap socket completely & keep only the prong for the cap but it doesn’t look like an optimal solution although some ppl can find it more prefferable.

3 Likes

So my question about the hinges on the pimax reddit forum got deleted,and also my topic here got deleted by @PimaxUSA

I did write a impression about the 8kx when i recieved the unit and that this time the support helped me good…But this behavior makes me rethink what i wrote and gives me a nasty feeling again.

So the problems with the plastic hinges isnt true,and i am the only one with that problem you told me on the pimax reddit forum.

Please could more people respond to this problem here and show him this big problem please…

Mine doesnt go lower then this(and its a plastic hinge)

3 Likes

You are creating duplicate threads, this thread has hundreds of posts related to the hinges.

Also you stated that almost everybody with plastic hinges cannot rotate which is clearly providing an incorrect impression.

We are happy to send you replacement plastic hinges. Just put in the request ticket and it will get done.

1 Like

thats okay,but please dont tell me i am the only one with this problem (with a pastic hinge)what you said on the reddit forum…
it can rotate but not far enough.

1 Like

So far those who have reported and have the plastic hinge we have asked to rotate it further and they may encounter some resistance.

You are the only one I know of who has a plastic hinge and cannot rotate it down. There could easily be others but so far those I’ve talked to could indeed rotate it down with a little force. (but at first were afraid to).

Once again we can send you replacement plastic hinges. Just create a ticket and we will send it.

2 Likes

Hello John, pimax USA lets out frustration for a moment and then disappears again. to the hinges, you are not alone and there are more and more. Open a ticket and see what you get.

2 Likes

If you have the PLASTIC hinges that the original backers were getting in the first shipments, this is a first I’ve heard of as well. The metal hinges are the ones we’re mostly having problems with. If anything, they have acknowledged the issue and are sending out replacement hinges.

I’ve been waiting a while though.

The fact that theres posts being deleted is uncalled for. I’ve had the title of this thread changed MULTIPLE times, and i changed it back. I started the thread to see if I was the only person with the issue. Turns out, there’s alot of people that felt the same way. Taking out certain words to make pimax look better, is really a shady practice.

3 Likes

with the assumption that you have the same plastic hinge as me:

there is some resistance rotating more than they’re meant to, but they already rotate more than the metal hinges and unlike the metal hinges they can be forced. you can unmount them to see if they’re only engaging slightly with the bumps on the inside of the strap holes before trying to force them though.

4 Likes

@Djonko i think you got this too right??
And who else?

how do i unmount them?

Here

1 Like

so you also got this problem?

rotate the nut that secures the hinge to the strap a quarter turn and it will release the hinge from the strap. dependent on the production time it may have a small screw in the center that needs to be removed first

3 Likes

Pimax COO
Everyone that has just received their 8KX will have the plastic hinge and by forcing the arm lower will eventually break the lugs.
I provided a means to increase the down angle a couple of days ago and was ridiculed by some for interrupting when I was only providing a simple (temporary fix).
Lucivr confirmed that it worked by doing as I advised.
Please check responses to your posts as I also responded to you 2 days ago about how to carry out this fix.

7 Likes

what was your temporary fix?

3 Likes

I’m here to confirm plastic hinges are also faulty.
& logic would tell me every single other set out there on an 8kx also have this design flaw.
They have the corrected angle over the metal ones but still cannot go down far enough.
The problem is the range they have is not enough.
The range of movement on metal & plastic is the same but the angle is different meaning the plastic ones are better but still not right.
& this resistance being talked about is the plastic part of the strap being essentially rounded off & pushed past the stoppers.
Which is fine as it works but it’s essentially a hack.
Also as someone who has owned vive pro, this strap does not have the range of movement that has in its shipped state.

Quick fix solution is either push it past & round the plastic inside the headstrap off or grind/cut off the internal nubs a bit, which are stopping the headstrap moving further.
Both will give it a proper range of movement & make it much better.

8 Likes

I had the Vive pro - and yes that’s correct it’s no where near the amount of movement down. It’s flawed 100%.

2 Likes

Can u post pics and explain your fix in this thread too.

1 Like

we do not need a person to identify the problem, but rather stop it when it occurs. have you ever worn one of the mass-produced headsets?

2 Likes