8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

I left the last print at 100% scale. Yes it was a slightly tight fit for me, but it fit. It was manageable.

1 Like

yeah, that was not fitting for me at all. but it can be the printer.

edit: or they changed the strap itself as well

1 Like

Try to print a scaled down version slightly. I did test some at 90, 95, and 97%, just to see how they fit. They all worked the same, just gotta find the size that fits best.

3 Likes

you measurement shows that you printed metal hinge version, it has 12.5 length of the cap’s prong, while plastic variant should have 11.3 or even 11.1 mm length which will fit your strap.

Regarding the hook which connects to the HMD itself through metal rod it’s the same for both hinges, so it’s too thick I guess & I just need to do it slighly thinner, but I have no X, if you tell me what outer diameter will work fine it will help a lot, I used 3.5mm diaterer for inner one, but have no clue what margin it allows for the outer one, I did the hinge more solid coz SMAS looks heavy, just to have the hinge more realiable, so trimming a bit won’t hurt

1 Like

i printed all 4 of the they looked the same so i thought you might have uploaded two sets of the same by accident, i expected for the hinge to look like the metal versions shape.

i’m using 3.5mm on the inside as well, 1.5mm for the wall there, tapering down to make it easier to to hook.

and looking closer i can see the prong is smaller on one set. i didnt expect that to be different so i didn’t look close.

1 Like

Its not good. The Vive DAS is much better. I just dont know about how the audio would work then. The Vive Das uses one plug in, the 8kx two. I want seperate left and tight channels.

From what I’ve read elsewhere I’m fairly certain that you will still get stereo sound when plugging a headset into only one of the ports.

1 Like

well with the plastic hinges, i think it’s pretty awesome.

1 Like

I got my upgraded 8K-X yesterday, too.
And indeed, the very first impression of wearing it - still offline, not connected - was horrible, too: Already the weight of the strap itself made the whole headset so heavy and unused to wear, compared to my former 5K+, I was in doubt on how long I would be able to play without having trained neck muscles :joy:

But the absolute fun “killer” was the back of the strap and the knob…:
I am cockpit and sim VR-player only, playing all my VR games such as Project Cars, Elite Dangerous, Truck Sim’s and some RPG’s sitting only.
… and that damn sh** knob already touches the back of my chair while sitting “normally”, making it impossible to lean back comfortably and relaxed while playing.

So after having played and tried the new HMD for two hours, next thing I did was to fix the 5K+'s “cheap” Velcro strap to the 8K-X - which I think is the most comfortable and best strap for cockpit-sim-VR-players in my opinion. And I don’t need any second best built-in audio headphone solution in the strap itself since I still prefer using my noise-cancelling, closed beyerdynamic headset :wink:

So since then, the 8K-X and I might become new best friends.
Still having a couple of other little optimization issues, but hopefully, I might be able to solve them in the upcoming weeks :slight_smile:

@PimaxVR, Pimax staff: Suggestion
Please consider including the optional Velcro strap in the 8K-X package as well so users might change it directly if the MAS feels uncomfortable for them.
I was lucky having one from the 5K+ so I had no need to be disappointed and displeased with the MAS longer than those first two hours :wink: But I know, I would still be if I had to either live with it or urgently buying one from somewhere else, especially as the 8K-X does cost a lot of money - and for that money, I really expect a more or less perfect product.
Including an additional, optional Velcro strap in the package certainly won’t cost that much - 5 $, 10$ …? Purchased in large quantities by a company such as Pimax probably even less.

4 Likes

no rigid strap i’ve seen is practical with that knob on the back for high backed chairs or just lazy couch movie watching. I should have kept the flexible strap for that :confused:

3 Likes

It works fine with the left port ive been using.

2 Likes

yes might be the case, I changed the hook & reuploaded all the files to TV & GH

metals are the same just the diameter of hinge prong (which connects to SMAS strap) is bigger a bit

2 Likes

ah i made an edit saying that after measuring you are right, it’s two different sets.

2 Likes

so does the second set fit the strap hole?

1 Like

i’d need to get off the couch and pick the thing apart again to test it, i’ll look at it when done with dinner

2 Likes

if it fits, please cut the hook which connects to the metal rod & try how it feels, if all is ok the only confirm I need is to test new hook which I uploaded above, I believe it should work coz I followed the image, here how it was & how it’s now:

So previously it was a bit beyond the metal detail & I assumed it won’t coz problems as it beyond just by a little, now it completely inside the shape of the previous hinge

1 Like

it looks like it will probably work. i’m not sure what you mean with cut the hook though.
and you could just print the stl i linked to compare,

1 Like

but I have no X to try fit it, I mean to cut the piece of plastic as in the pictures above which according to you didn’t let to mount the whole hinge on the HMD’s metal rod, so if it doesn’t fit on your side you can without printing just cut it a bit & try how the hinges set feels like, is it ok?

1 Like

i just meant you could see the dimensions and shape i was using. anyways, the prong fits nicely with this version. it does feel like it’s a degree or two shy of the same rotation as the original plastic hinge, it could be because the original doesn’t stop as hard as this one does though.

2 Likes

i think it would be easier to print a new version than trying to sand this thing down further. for the walls around the hook I’m using 1.5mm you might be able to get away with 2. I’ve sanded your version down to 2.5 so far and that is too much for sure, it feels like a leaver that puts force on the metal rod in the wrong way.

2 Likes