8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

hold on, time for my hourly F5 :pensive:

6 Likes

Exactly… It cannot be unseen! :smiley: I also signed up on FedEx site, though I’m unsure if that’ll do anything :smiley:

2 Likes

with us as the guinea pigs
@DrWilken @Heliosurge

guinea7

5 Likes

me too! It’s like we’re twins! Pimax BROS,!

3 Likes

did you update the spreadsheet ?

someone should sticky this

4 Likes

Teigue it printed the last metal hinge replacement

Its tight, but fits. Nothing some sanding cant fix

6 Likes

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but where exactly does the tracking number appear?

2 Likes

It is found in the pimax store under your orders in your account. Click on the sales order to see details. It is listed in there.

3 Likes

As this now has developed into a full blown hinge gate, did @dstar and @BNP apologize already? ‘most of us are fine’ and ‘just cut it off’ etc
Hopefully this has been a lesson for the ‘pimax forum police’. You know if somebody reports a problem it might actually really be a problem

3 Likes

I wouldnt go that far either because If it wasnt for BNP going further and showing us that his hinges are different, we wouldnt have gotten the issue resolved either.

3 Likes

Good done,

I see some blobs in printing where supports ends & cap prong starts, I guess it’s the reason why cap may be tight to fit - but yep easily fixed with a file or knife just to cut the blob, maybe some support settings can help with it to no loose the quality of that prong side that requires support. But it’s already matter of model 3d printing settings. So seems we are good.

If possible please also record a video how it rotates & looks in final variant, e.g. in 5k+ or even in 8kx, coz it’s significantly heavier I guess, just wonder how is comfort, do the hooks fit properly the metal bars on the HMD, does it rotate properly, does strap rotate properly, is the angle right, etc

1 Like

sorry i was not at my printer last night and is back at work now. if you still would like me to test some prints / photos when i get home, let me know.

3 Likes

sure, please try plastic variant & let us know if it works for you.
if it won’t fit please try to follow video instructions on how to change the diameter & angle if needed.

1 Like

Although even if it works for you quite good you could loos additional comfort feature like cheeks pressure removing by the headstrap with properly choose angle & it’s now not recoverable, so I wouldn’t recommend this solution to people who have access to 3d printer or can order 3dprinting order from some 3rd party shops for a cheap price.

2 Likes

Or can just ask pimax for a free set of plastic hinges. despite how many hours we’ve spend on modelling this thing that will probably be the most practical free solution for “most” people.

ideally pimax would remodel their metal hinge, test, and mail a set to every mas owner but i’m not sure that is going to happen.

4 Likes

I already put it back in storage

But maybe someone else can try?

At the time it wasn’t clear to me either that after shipping several hundred devices, they suddenly switched to the metal piece.

1 Like

if they had checked at least one device out of 100 or 50 correctly 100%, this would have been noticed in-house. I’m really torn right now when it comes to the products.

3 Likes

It is difficult to recommend a pimax product for sure. as for buying another pimax device in the future that is not really something that seems likely atm. they just keep doing these stupid little things that could have been avoided with just a little bit of care and diligence.

10 Likes

I worry that mod will allow too much motion and the headphone wire will be stressed and eventually break.

If I have trouble with the fit of my MAS, I think I’ll try the opposite approach: Use my Dremel tool to reduce the corresponding area of the metal hinge. I’ll just try to increase the rotational travel, not get rid of the “stop” entirely. Then if I overdo it, I can request replacement plastic hinges from Pimax (if needed).

8 Likes