8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

I did change slightly metal variant, it’s 155 deg, the difference is the top cap, it looks more solid & more durable, other than that it should be similar, I just tbh don’t remember I could by mistake export defaault 145 angle, but maybe not, the latest post above has most recent files

1 Like

yes, it was my assumption that it can be weak with only 1.4mm thickness, so I did it like this:

But as you said it really doesn’t matter until cap is hold securely

1 Like

Understood. So Ill try the latest one as well but i cant do it now… Got work and a doc appt. So ill do it later.

2 Likes

Ahhh i see. Ok ill retry but we’re finally there! Thank you

1 Like

btw, doesn’t prong wobble? On picture it looks like between SMAS cylinder & prong is significant gap, or it again perspective angle?

1 Like

Thats the angle. Theres no wobble at all - its a TIGHT fit for sure. There needs to be room to rotate it, so keep that in mind. It lined up well.

Ill try the new print and report back as well

3 Likes

You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work. :+1: :+1:

Hopefully we’ll hear an official response from Pimax this week regarding this issue.

5 Likes

We actually have an official response above and linked to a different thread explaining that if you give your order number theyll mail you a spare set of the plastic hinges also

5 Likes

Pimax luck it will be someone with a youtube channel and alot of followers

2 Likes

I find it funny how so many people are having this issue, even Pimax has offered to send new hinges because of it and admitted it was a mistake. Yet we have some posters who made it their personal mission to call into question the legitimate complaints of those people who noticed the problem. Got nothing better to do? Why not challenge people on a topic you have no personal insight into and have no stake in. Great fun.

5 Likes

I just got my headset today. I noticed the same problem. After some investigation I realized that if i filed the two knubs off the inner piece of the headstrap, the headstrap now rotates completely around without the stop. It is not needed! The headset is now balanced perfectly on my head. That locking design in the headstrap is a bad decision. I fixed mine and it works fine no need for a locking mechanism.

7 Likes

yeah, we were hoping to come up with a solution that wouldn’t permanently change the head-strap since that would be more expensive to replace than the hinge. but it’s good that it works for you.

2 Likes

have you recived tracking nr. or went silently?

1 Like

I did not receive a tracking #. It just showed up today. Totally unexpected.

4 Likes

Is there a tracking number if You check in the store?

https://store.pimaxvr.com/my/orders

If not, there’s no reason for me to keep checking it daily… :smiley:

5 Likes

You are 2nd or 3rd persons saying that… Have you payed taxes upfront Fedex knocked to your door?

1 Like

I just checked. The tracking # is in my account on the store. I did not know to check there. Most companies send you an email when they ship an item to you. I didn’t have to pay anything extra.

5 Likes

I totally agree on the part about sending an email… :smiley:

Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t checking in vain… :wink:

5 Likes

Haven’t really noticed too many descending on this that have not received this issue. Tbh I choose to look at the fact that the community has come together in identifying the issue and root cause; then working on a meanwhile solution until pimax can sort it out.

The extra benefit is that this has also lead to a simple printable mod that can not only modify original angle/stops. But also creates a simple replacement part if needed.

Now I am sure there are some who might be discussing pimax quality issues. However we also had some that were poking that this was not an issue due to either receiving the proper hinge and some whom based things on ces and a handful of reviews.

As with any company; pimax will face scrutiny anytime they have a quality issue of quantity. Best defense is FTQ(First Time Quality). It is not an easy thing to achieve but the lower the external ppm for defects the better. Unfortunately pimax is still working on bringing external defects ppm down. However will likely keep improving as they discover flaws in their procedures and processes.

5 Likes

lol you are like me, I’ve been sitting here hitting F5 twice a day hoping to see a tracking number ever since someone said it shows there first :sweat_smile:

6 Likes