8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

I hope that way will work so that there are no problems with the angle.

Hi, @drowhunter Thank you for asking, I have the plastic one. And I can see the confusion here, so I talked to my colleagues from the Reserch and Development department. Here is something that might be helpful. :hugs:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/we-can-replace-the-metal-hinge-for-free-if-you-have-the-needs/30680

6 Likes

if you mean to use smaller diameter of the strap (not hinge) cylinder to not hassle with protrusions, then it will make default cap not working as it won’t lock the hinge & you need to do it manually.

another concern is that it will wear strap coz contact is too small for the protrusions while the weight I guess is quite significant.

another con is that if you don’t need to have it lower - it helps to mitigate cheeks weight problem + to keep tilting of HMD in some range during gameplay.

But it’s up to your need. I tried to do universal solution for strap variant as Mike has, apparently BNP has even another strap hole (with protrusions) diameter size, so I won’t surprize if replaced metals hinges won’t fit SMAS strap cylinder coz revisions have different sizes, they though obviously know it & will need to redo the hinge with another revision, or probalbly already have it done

sounds like that will solve the problem for those who read the forum, thanks.

3 Likes

i was making an insert to make the strap hole circular to prevent the sideways motions, it works with the cap, but it’s rather fiddly with my current design.

1 Like

I wondering if I will do second variant with your dimensions will you be able to print & test it on yours strap?

if possible please provide photo of the cap (lock side) + strap hole with protrusions, I remember you gave quite lot dimensions data, if you interested in testing & printing I can do it as well

1 Like

I don’t know if you could use the default cap in some way, but you could always make a simple cap.

sure, at work for another 7 hourish though.

I wonder if this will announced officially.

So we have official confirmation and pictures of what the problem was… @BNP See how drastic that angle difference is? I dont know how they missed that part lolllll

Yeah I know, it is really strange why they make it like this. I thought they test each headset they would have noticed it.

Well at that point I assumed everybody had the same hardware, so i was wrong. I’m mostly worried about all the non forum customers and backers that will end up with a headset that will never fit comfortably

2 Likes

Is our head realy that strange compared too Chinees people or the other way around?

1 Like

I did small video how you can change angle of pivot to any degree (default is 145).

But you need to sign up to onshape.com account, to have access there, it’s free, no ad cloud based CAD system with mobile support (IPAD).

After analysing all the photos posted on this thread I concluded that despite some cosmetic & other differences the main difference between plastic & metal part is the strap hole diameter & the pivot diameter as consequence, other mechanism looks like working similar including the cap, so I’ve recreated the hinge with both options for metal & plastic people :slight_smile:

Metal Hinge Replacement Edition:

Plastic Hinge Replacement Edition:

https://github.com/pavel-ruban/Pimax/blob/master/8KX%20-%20SMAS%20Hinge%20Plastic%20%20-%20Right.stl

Both have 155 angle (+10 more, the reference just a bit different so it’s not 55 but 155) but have different SMAS hole diameters (12.5 for metal & 11.1 for plastic (0.2mm margin)).

Also updated the thingiverse but there is long cache though: Pimax 8kX SMAS Hinge by pruban - Thingiverse

4 Likes

tbh i think it’s an example of this should work the same as the original one, just throw them in there.

1 Like

Thats awesome. Thank you Teigue!

1 Like

If you don’t mind, please once printed & if working properly add a make to thingiverse with photo, it will help others to try this out, thanks

2 Likes

Ok i will. Thanks again and i just finished printing the print from last night. I assume you didnt change any more since… it looks good and fits tightly but it seems like the best one yet.

5 Likes

You can see that corner of the prong broke off on me just now, but it doesnt even matter because it still sits tightly. I printed it at .20mm layer height, solid top/bottom at 4 each, infill only 10%, so i can increase it now that i know it fits fairly well.

1 Like