8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

I can see by the 3d model that the prong is still too thick left to right.

the image is just left there, I didn’t use it too much recently, was relying on your measurements, you said it’s 11mm / 8mm & diameter of strap hole was 12.5-13, so it’s 11.8 now on my design, previously it was 12.5 though but you found it’s too thick

No you’re changing the wrong side
The 8mm side needs to be shorter
The prong long side which is 11mm, actually fit perfectly. It’s the side that is 8mm that is too long, it needs to be a little shorter.

thanks for noting it, it’s not 8mm indeed, just didn’t think it will make any difference coz the thing is rotating inside the cylinder of strap which is limited by the circles though

Yes it makes a small difference but an important one. It limits the rotating angle.

In fact, the thinner you make it, the more it will rotate the strap up/down.

aha, thats interesting, I didn’t care about second dimension, so if you say the long one fits perfectly then I got you, one minute please …

Yes all else fits almost perfectly for me now. Its just that side is limiting the angle of rotation of the strap

@Teigue I want to thank you for the fantastic work you’ve done to help me here. By doing so, you’re also helping others out there that are about to face the same issues when they get their headset, plus the people that already mentioned they have a problem with it.

Thanks again truly fantastic and amazing work

2 Likes

so I kept intact everything but the width of pong, the length is still 10.6mm.
while width become 7.9mm, previously it was more than 10 I guess

I hope now it makes sense

Np, I just thought it will be much hassle free for all of us, as the thing looks very straight forward & simple to desing, however not having the SMAS myself contributes to complexity of the task & the need to waste so amount of PLA though

actually previouslly it was 9.2, so now it’s reduced by 1.3 mm

Thats it! Is the file updated so I can download it?

It makes sense that the width was 9mm+, because the prong looked almost square and equal to the other sides.

files not yet updated, 1-2 mins more Ill post links here

I just redid the pong shape as it was quite ugly for me

so proportions is kept, 8mm width, 10.6 length

Now it makes perfect sense, as initially I thought you couldn’t put the hinge inside of SMAS cylinder, while dimensions were correct, so Ive updated all sources:

CAD: Onshape

Thanks again. I’ll try this later on when i have some time and report back but i do think we’re good to go now.

1 Like

Been doing it all day lol. I need a break! And i threw out the bad ones.

3 Likes

https://community.openmr.ai/t/the-complete-guide-to-adding-vive-das-speakers-to-the-smas/29958/24?u=teigue

it proves the fact that not event hinge but the strap itself has other dimensions than variant that Mike got, so I would recommend if you have interest to finish yours & publish as other ppl with variant like yours also can have this problem & might wanna try your variant out.

1 Like

Is it still not perfect just do it my way. I posted this yesterday. you could make a mini adapter of the shape of the mas and a hole in it then you only need the hinge with a circle extrude and then you could turn the hinge 360 degrees. @BNP

if i understand you right that is pretty much what I’ve been trying to do for a not insignificant part of my night. it’s almost working. I may have a look at it again after work.

2 Likes