8K X SMAS hinges need improvement· - can we DIY fix it?

well it was in the link three of my posts up but i don’t think it’ll help much considering how much more play your version seems to have. i think i have an idea to stabilize it though.

1 Like

its designed in onshape, thingiverse has a link to the CAD (it’s cloud based CAD so you can copy & modify it as it’s public)

3 Likes

Ok sure, let me know. It’s good that the info’s getting out there for others as well. This might be of some good use.

hm, it looks a bit bigger in length the original one, it should be 49mm, I see you measured the original hinge but could you measure mine which you 3d printed originally? Maybe your 3D printer has calibration / settings issues & scale doesn’t correspond to the file

Actually I think it may be perspective angle though

Thickness was kept intact, I kept it as 3mm to not have a really weak part that can easily break

1 Like

Thats just the angle of the picture. The length is spot-on

2 Likes

by how much wider? can you measure mine variant as well, I see you said it’s 11m on original

1 Like

I can modify the file but I think something is off on your 3d printer side, as you can see the long side in CAD original is only 10.65mm it;s not even 11, usually in my prints 3d printer adds 0.2 mm to the size, so even 10.88mm still in perfect spot

1 Like

It seems like yours is 1mm too wide. It doesnt even look like its too far off either, it’s just the PLA is a thicker material and causing the hinge not to rotate enough. I would remove 1mm width and fix the length as mentioned above if you can. it should be 10mm long, 1mm off the top of the prong, theres the indentation for 2mm of the length as well.

I also tried 90% scale too, and it fit better, but then it was slightly too loose. So it seems like just a tiny bit of shaving off will make it perfect. It seems like we’re pretty much there with some small adjustments left.

Ye it could be the PLA i’m using which is Galaxy Black Prusament, its a pretty thick PLA. I can probably find the difference myself by changing the scale a little more.

I will add the 2nd variant, but won’t attach it to the public yet, coz it can be wrong & others with default PLA can have problems, just let me understand what this does mean as Im not native speaker:

So pong 10mm long I guess is this:

I have 10.4 in my original will trim it to 9.8 to have 0.2 mm margin for PLA

Is it about the same thing? so 11mm -1mm = 10mm so it’s just another sentence about pong height?

this part I don’t get at all, is it about this one?

It’s already 2mm, how you want me to adjust it?

Watch this

thanks for clarification, although as I provided details here

My deign has exactly 7mm 2mm & 1.4mm length, I trimmed it not to 9.8mm length from 10.4mm to have some margin for 3d printer error, but it really worries me as it your print doesn’t look quite accurate.

1 Like

If you put 9.8mm, then thats the problem, because its just slightly shorter than it has to be
i need it at 10.0 or a little higher.

but in the latest version it’s 10.4mm high, hmm
https://community.openmr.ai/uploads/default/original/3X/a/d/adaeb1e364187f539bf376cf59e5505e77357dc1.png
even almost 10.5

I wouldnt even worry about the length, its almost perfect. i would leave that as is. Whats more important is the width from left/right on my printer it comes out wider than the original - its noticeable

I propose you to rotate 3d model so the pivot is in vertical position then it should have much higher accuracity, wait a minute I will decrease pong thickness but won’t touch heights, I guess when you print it in another position you loose all accuracity

I would rather not print it with the main part flat against the base, because then it’s hard to get supports out of the hinge section, so i print it vertically, with the prong sticking out horizontally with supports under it. Maybe thats the problem, the supports are causing it to be a little thicker like you mention

I didn’t update thingiverse files yet, please use github links for now, I decreased the length of the widest pong from ~10.6 to 9.7 almost by 1 mm

You know the hinge you’re using for measurements is BNP’s and not mine? My hinge seems to have different measurements than his.