8K X Initial Review - Primarily compared to HP Reverb and Valve Index

No, it wouldn’t make sense for that. At 75Hz, you would see, if anything, even less jitter for 25Hz video content, and vastly less head tracking latency.

I did a bunch of calculations a while back as to what the important common multiples were, including such things as NTSC, PAL, common refresh rates, and even common Operating System tick intervals, and concluded that 60Hz and 75Hz were useful for a very comprehensive range of things. Beyond that, IIRC, I also concluded 64Hz and 72Hz might be useful in some rare edge cases.

Never did I find a good reason for anything like 50Hz. @Dimon ?

1 Like

First I love the maximum quality (sharpness, details). I expect a lot of game which require PP On will have the performance issue in Large Fov.
Second 50Hz is better for European video (25Hz)

I agree the tracking latency will be definitely the issue in the dynamic games. But in Microsoft Fly Simulator 2020 via VorpX I am going just enjoy landshafts.
Why should I see flickering? I don’t have any flickering on my old LCD - 30Hz. Do you mean pulse-width modulation effect?

2 Likes

well on 2d on flat it makes a huge difference when Hz are a matching multiples of fps
I usually try to achieve that the other way round with eg. Smooth Video Project.
Also with games g/freesync cover that similar idea.
So i can say that there is a difference and less tearing.
Head tracking may not be that important for watching movies.
But indeed some may notice slight flickering going under 60 so I think with that kind of footage 75Hz would be best.

As I understand “flickering” - brightness goes down on entire screen in some frames. If an LCD display was designed for frequency even let say 10Hz you wouldn’t see any flickering. It does’n need to turn off brightness , update the picture, return brightness like in classic movie theater. Am I wrong?

25 * 3 = 75, right? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Its all about adding the 60Hz mode to the firmware, which will be done soon. The units support it of course. I will remind the engineers to add it in the next FW version

Indeed, even if 72Hz many times is better (24*3 for film/movie 23.976fps content)

The engineers said 50Hz is not an option at this point. May be added in future, but requires more work to get it usable. 75Hz does the same thing as 50 for old style PAL videos and EU television streams, just like Mirage said.

That solution would introduce lots of ghosting, I think.

4 Likes

nerd :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

But I think that in VR, flat film/movie watching is not as popular as VR SBS movie watching which is mostly 60 hz. So that option would definitely be great to have

Ok, deal, 60/72/75 Hz :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

We will add more as we go when it is technically possible just like with the 5k+.

4 Likes

We will add more as we go when it is technically possible just like with the 5k+.

Like 144 Hz? Yippee! :blush:
Just kidding. But seriously, any increase in fps would be very welcome.

Ok, deal DSC 60/72/75 Hz and 50 Hz

DSC = display stream compression

1 Like

Thank you for confirming this!

Thank you for pointing that out. There may also be some uses for 64Hz - IIRC it had noticeably less tracking latency than 64Hz, and matched up some higher frequency OS kernel tick rates, so might be a good compromise between 60Hz/72Hz for flight sim.

@Dimon
VorpX, ok, I get that. Performance is hard to get with that. Video 25Hz though will be far better served by 75Hz.

1 Like

Please don’t forget that 60Hz is needed for watching “special” movies which shoots in huge amount exactly with 60fps ))

Great review evertec thanks. A shame you will sell it, but yeh the eye strain thing is not something you can ever get used to or hope it goes away. I think it’s also head shape and not just IPD hence why Kevin doesn’t get any eye strain or headaches. That said, I wonder how many hours per day Kevin has to use it?

Not just VorpX.(20 chr)

Just think of the improvements we saw to the 5K+ hardware since launch through software and firmware updates. I hope we see the same for the 8KX and the new peripherals.

1 Like

Of all the headsets I’ve had (pretty much all of them) the DK2 gave the the most trouble with headache etc. My OG Vive also gave me trouble but to a much lesser extent.

In a single session about 5hrs was the longest I’ve gone on my 5k+ and on the X perhaps 3-4 hours. I would point out that I’ve also tested defective returns that quickly gave me eye strain in a matter of minutes, one of them in particular gave me rather serious trouble for hours.

Any headset can give you trouble if it’s not dialed-in well. This is why I think the Pimax Experience is such a big deal as it not only guides the setup but gives you the best settings for each title. It’s still a bit crude right now but by the end of the year it can easily be the best VR setup tool out there. Even in the current state its quite awesome.

10 Likes

Personally, I’d rather have a 120 Hz mode, which would be just as good for 60 Hz videos, since each frame would be shown exactly twice.

3 Likes

240hz for watching “the hobbit”

2 Likes