8K X Initial Review - Primarily compared to HP Reverb and Valve Index

The index and reverb both don’t give me eye strain like this. They’re both a bit blurry on the edges but I can deal with that more than the strain and headache

2 Likes

ok :confused: Just looked, the G2 is also for higher IPDs - 60-68.
If more women would use VR headsets then the IPD ranges might be more flexible. Or/and the other way around. Looks like a market gap. Hope you can find a solution!

1 Like

I have a low IPD too (58.5) -
The procedure I use is I dial the ipd knob to the min then use the soft IPD. I also bump the vert ipd 1 notch. I can test all day no problem.

3 Likes

I’ll try the vertical IPD. Is your IPD measurement the near or far? When I use an eye measure app on my phone it says my near IPD is 56 and my far is 58.

1 Like

Also, what software IPD setting are you using for the horizontal offset?

Finally someone said it! :wink: Thanks for your impressions!

Btw make sure to set all gpuSpeed values to 1500 or higher in the SteamVR config file, otherwise its may explain why your HP Reverb was sharper :wink:

Regarding IPD below 58, as PimaxUSA said already, vertical adjustment and IPD offset can make wonders!

10 Likes

I haven’t touched those settings in a while, I’ll check when I jump back on my vr station computer tomorrow. BTW: Setting the horizontal and vertical IPD is an area the Pimax Experience can help with a great deal. For max comfort you want to align each eye and then together.

5 Likes

Hi,

I am really looking forward to the new Pimax Experience.
Hopefully I will be able to adjust my 5k+ to obtain the best possible settings. Keeping my fingers crossed. And later to my 8k x, once it arrives.

1 Like

When more final version 8kX units have been delivered (I am not taking this risk while people are still waiting years for these), and if someone is willing to put up the cost of another final version 8kX headset for the first experiment, and if there is demand for at least >15 such units, it might be worth someone like me doing this to some 8kX units as a side business.

4 Likes

@SweViver @PimaxUSA

Indeed, THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM. We need at least 75Hz and 60Hz in native mode on the 8kX !

And yes, my pre-production model of the 8kX can be configured for 60Hz, and yes, the hardware of the final 8kX units should be able to support it.

For any seated stuff, 60Hz is what I use essentially all of the time, for good reasons. Not just for reduced GPU, but the possibility of better synchronization to physical monitor refresh rate for overlay/desktop applications.

and for movie viewing, 30hz/60hz content will look much better on 60hz

2 Likes

Indeed, or when watching Netflix and stuff while casually running errands flying through space…

2 Likes

And 50hz please. SweViver claimed there are flickers on 50hz that can harm somebody. I would like to make my choice myself. You can put this setting somewhere deep inside the configuration or even in the windows registry to hide from an-experience users.

If I may ask, why do you want 50Hz? A refresh rate of 75Hz should be already well synchronized to half that, without the potential drawbacks.

While I agree with you that such unusual features should be available if feasible, I think users should have to see some warning message before enabling this, at least unless compelling use cases are known. At only 50Hz, tracking latency and quite possibly flickering would become severe enough to induce immediate motion sickness, even for seated use cases, even for the most experienced VR users.

1 Like

My wild guess is because of 2d video content that is mostly recorded at 25fps.
So a 50Hz mode would make perfect sense.

No, it wouldn’t make sense for that. At 75Hz, you would see, if anything, even less jitter for 25Hz video content, and vastly less head tracking latency.

I did a bunch of calculations a while back as to what the important common multiples were, including such things as NTSC, PAL, common refresh rates, and even common Operating System tick intervals, and concluded that 60Hz and 75Hz were useful for a very comprehensive range of things. Beyond that, IIRC, I also concluded 64Hz and 72Hz might be useful in some rare edge cases.

Never did I find a good reason for anything like 50Hz. @Dimon ?

1 Like

First I love the maximum quality (sharpness, details). I expect a lot of game which require PP On will have the performance issue in Large Fov.
Second 50Hz is better for European video (25Hz)

I agree the tracking latency will be definitely the issue in the dynamic games. But in Microsoft Fly Simulator 2020 via VorpX I am going just enjoy landshafts.
Why should I see flickering? I don’t have any flickering on my old LCD - 30Hz. Do you mean pulse-width modulation effect?

2 Likes

well on 2d on flat it makes a huge difference when Hz are a matching multiples of fps
I usually try to achieve that the other way round with eg. Smooth Video Project.
Also with games g/freesync cover that similar idea.
So i can say that there is a difference and less tearing.
Head tracking may not be that important for watching movies.
But indeed some may notice slight flickering going under 60 so I think with that kind of footage 75Hz would be best.

As I understand “flickering” - brightness goes down on entire screen in some frames. If an LCD display was designed for frequency even let say 10Hz you wouldn’t see any flickering. It does’n need to turn off brightness , update the picture, return brightness like in classic movie theater. Am I wrong?

25 * 3 = 75, right? :slight_smile:

5 Likes