8k vs 5k+ latency (and quick 5k vs 8k impressions

You might, if you are sensitive to that stuff but probably not. it feels like the vive with async reprojection setting off to me before that recent motion smoothing update came out. Had you ever turned async reprojection off manually in the past and noticed things a little wobbly? If not you’ll probably be fine. I sort of feel it subconsciously feel it as reduce presence feeling, and little things bobbing sometimes. If you go straight to 5k+ the 5k+ feels exactly like rift and vive latency I’d say. (very good)

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I can’t believe that Pimax did this for the love of the VR and the backers, because we all live in the real world.

Pimax had already sold all the kickstarter’s 8Ks, money already cashed in. No manufacturer would propose, without good reason, a new product that involves a refund to buyers. Even if it’s Christmas, you can’t believe it.

Pimax simply realized that it was not able to produce all the 8K sold in an acceptable time. due to yield problems in the display production, so they found an excellent substitute to split the production, lowering the price in order to boost sales

Good for us to have more choice, but do not fool ourselves

7 Likes

I own a Go, it’s a good product, but SDE is still too noticeable for me, I can still count every single Pixel. Better than a Vive, but not enough to change my experience. If 8K is even a little better, then my choice is right.

7 Likes

5k+ sde was better than the goes to me for sure. Was also better than the 8k imho!

In the 8K you can see SDE in the lower right corner of the pixel; in the 5K you see it all around the pixel, just like in the Oculus Go that I also have.

4 Likes

Yes similar to oculus go but actually I would say it’s a little less sde than the go actually! (5k+) the 8k’s sde looks about like a vive pro to me.

I’m normally very sceptical but in this case I’m not buying this scenario.

1- if it wasn’t for a very vocable person not related to pimax the 5K+/8k order ratio would be very different.

2- Pimax never said the 5k+ is a superior headset, and had no way of knowing before hand if the backers would switched

3- there is a high probability that the 4K lcd used in the 8K is the one available on aliexpress in qty so no availibity problem.

4- maybe pimax is happy by the switch to the 5k+ I just don’t think it was the plan initially.

5 Likes

I would like to know what tools have been used to measure this latency, or is it an impression by eye and supposed?

2 Likes

I have played Redout & Distance standing on the 8k without me wobbling. :beers::joy::+1::sparkles:

But I might have a mutant sense of balance. As those games are definitely mean for 1 2b seated. :wink:

1 Like

Display panel spec maybe. Karrtoon said it might be uwing am older rendering technique. Not really a problem as only Seb so far has noticed this presumably without tap test that karrtoon used to verify. Otherwise other 8k choosers like myself haven’t noticed it in regular use; which Karrtoon said majority is not likely to notice. Also verified as no other tester noticed this phenomenon.

Which is on par as Seb doesn’t see the 5k+ dots & if mem serves the color banding. So as said each has strengths & flaws that balance one another. Individual preference is what will tip the scales as in most cases.

2 Likes

Indeed as the 5k+ would likely also have a buffer resulting in not really 90hz. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

If your overly sensitive like Seb then yes. But if your like the other testers & 8k prefers tyen no.

If that were entirely true; then the 5k+ stuck/dead pixel issue has bitten them in the @$$.

5k+ also easier to count pixelss due to the over sharpness & you can see horizontal line stacking due to low vertical res.

5k+ qhd panels are cheaper due to more variations & adoption vs 4k lcd panels at higher refresh rates.

Up-scaling an image is ALWAYS bad. Hence why I dumped the 8K like a hot potato in favor of the RGB native resolution 5K+ as I wait for my NATIVE 8K-X.

Everyone sees in their own reality. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

Why the choice is difficult.

1 Like

There is a far more likely explanation than yours: they knew the majority of 8K backers would be fuming if they present an actually better performing, cheaper headset right at the release of their 8K + 5K headsets, and decided it was the smart thing to give the backers the choice as it doesn‘t really matter to them which one we pick - if we stickwith the more expensive panels, they‘ll keep the 100$, if we switch they‘ll credit the 100$ (but won‘t pay them out).

Doesn‘t sound weird at all, they don‘t sacrifice anything and backers appreciate it; simple plan, isn‘t it.

5 Likes

This is going to sound funny but try to follow me here. If we could imagine situation were reversed and the 8k had the lower latency and 5k+ was 20ms I would have chosen the 8k (even with the extra blur) that’s how big of a deal the wobble is to me. I place a lot of emphasis on it because it doesn’t matter how the colors and blacks are if everything is wobbling even a little. (Kills presence)

The real world doesn’t wobble at all like that when you are wearing a scuba mask and shake your head. (Not even a little, collimated light) the whole purpose of this VR thing is to trick our senses into thinking what we are seeing is real. So even 20ms of latency can have big impacts whether you consciously notice it or not. Basically pimax should really work on this.

So the fact that the 5k+ has better clarity and slightly more responsive, combined with other factors on top of it makes it an easy choice. (For me)

3 Likes

It does in my car. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles::joy:

Plus as you said most won’t notice.

1 Like