8k vs 5k+ latency (and quick 5k vs 8k impressions

I don’t think there is any buffer; it was already commented that the scaler only takes two pixels and from them build a checkered pattern of four, it seems. It must take the original image and convert it directly to the displays, otherwise it would need a buffer on the chip or nearby, which would require memory chips for two 4K screens with 3 or 4 bytes per pixel on the headset.
Really? I very much doubt that this will be the case.

Apart from that, @karrtoon, where does this “meta-mathematics” come from? How you translate a supposed distance of 20-25 pixels to 20-25 ms?

2 Likes

Lol. Well in that case maybe you need upgrade to upgrade shocks or better yet get a tesla

1 Like

Or upgrade the roads. :laughing:

A buddy has one very nice. Iove the back 2 the future rear doors. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: Among other features.

1 Like

It’s definitely meta math. I’m not converting pixels to the 20ms. As that would be pretty dumb. The numbers just happened to match and I didn’t notice that when giving estimate.

It’s based on oculus latency tester experience and dk2 days before 0.4.1 sdk and the zero post present latency breakthrough, and old Tuscany demo they had for example with timewarp on and off (you can Google for more info) I’ve just seen 20ms so often that I feel it’s an good ballpark estimate based on what I see here with tap testing.

2 Likes

The latency problem is definitely an issue for this reason I could not recommend the 8k to anyone. I believe a large majority of users will notice this once they receive there headset, if they are a heavy gamer.

1 Like

And there’s no 2 x 4K x 3 bytes buffer in the headset,trust me.

2 Likes

I see those dots on the 5k+ but never seen colour banding. This was a concern when I heard Sweviver mention it before making my 8k v 5k+ choice. You’ve just reminded me about this to the point of just now checking some colour gradient images and see ‘really’ good gradients, no banding.

4 Likes

@Cdaked yeah the upscaler was only my best guess. It’s coming from somewhere down the pipe though. Does anyone else have a guess where such latency could come from?

I just didn’t think it was the lower 80 hz being the culprit because even the Oculus go at 60hz looks lower latency than the 8k when you do that star wobble test stuff.

Edit: also 20pixel shift of a star had no correlation 20ms latency. I just didn’t notice the numbers matched when I gave my guesstimate. Btw, cdak was an amazing demo scene demo and can’t believe it was in kilobytes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am gonna be a jerk here sorry but

Well…so? This is what we call highter resolution.
I dont get it and everyone is going crazy again about this.
Have to shake head like a epileptic crisis? In what kind of situation you have to do this in VR?Can you believe the 8k is not waterproof also !

Ok sorry but I am playing with a 8k for a while now several kind of game and only issue I can have sometimes is framerate but no way wobbling thing.
AFAK you and sebastian are the only ones reporting this.

And why? Have you ever tried the 4k one?
Why is everyone affraid of a upscaler like a children eater without even have tried it or one for VR. I dont understand this.

6 Likes

Dear friends with an 8k: you may still enjoy your device despite it having more latency than the 5k Plus. :wink: Have a wonderful Christmas time with your devices, dear Pimax family!

11 Likes

@Ludiks it’s okay everyone is different. Thats totally fine you are enjoying it. :slight_smile:

I personally notice 8k latency even just casually looking around in 3d vr180 videos the wobble (youtube vr80, etc). Resolution doesn’t really tie into the latency I’m covering here though. So not sure what you meant about that. I’m not talking frame rate lag but motion-to-photon latency.

Edit: i have not tested the 4k. My only hope here is to have pimax reproduce it for feedback and fix it. And yes merry christmas!

1 Like

That is what I meant, sorta. :thinking:

Of course I enjoy it for what he has to offert, SDE and less blocky view which for a gamer is the choice to make unless you playing some kind of panels reading simulation.

Some may have find a word to replace “world is moving with you” scientific term but this seems to be unit related or very subjective so please dont take it for granted.

3 Likes

I was about to wrote the same thing thanks…

Thank you :slight_smile:
Let me try this also : Dead Friends with a 5K+, you may still enjoy your device despite it having more SDE, dead pixels, light leaking, panels with differents colors and more blocky graphics :wink:
Merry Christmas :champagne:

14 Likes

@Ludiks I am trying to read up more on “motion-to-photon latency” I am not sure if the star in the sky (pixel) “moves with you” for those 20 pixels as you suggested or if when you move your head and it follows the headtracking after (pixel lags behind headtracking) It seems to be a really complex subject for my brain. If it’s not the upscaler though that gives me confidence that it could maybe the fixed it software. Then we can all be happy, whether we noticed it or not :wink:

1 Like

huh with what devices? 90% don’t have them :slight_smile:
and 40% have hardware isues, so i don’t understand this

5 Likes

Well it’s all about preference. Hence why you don’t see the black dots on the 5k+ (2b honest I haven’t noticed them either) but many like @SweViver has & was the first to report the issue just aftet the Berlin meet. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

don’t forget about the worse contrast ratio,worse blacks and worse colors overall :wink:

3 Likes

Can you stop spaming EVERYWHERE with your 5k+? Let people choose their own damn device. Stop subtle forcing people to switch to 5k+. You are annoying.

10 Likes

Pimax has no obligation to the backers except to ship what they ordered. No hardware manufacturer has ever worried about releasing a more performing product to avoid disturbing previous buyers. New buyers are not interested in what old buyers think, on the contrary, they are happy to have a better product.

2 Likes