8k vs 5k+ latency (and quick 5k vs 8k impressions

The truth is if the 5k+ has the issue it might not be noticed as it’s only a 3-5 pixel shift on the 5k+. Granted thr scaler may slightly exaggerate.

& Karrtoon did say on the dev side maybe due to how pimax is rendering.

Bottomline as Karrtoon said the majority are not likely to even notice. As we only have 2 ppl. Seb & a Dev whom did a specific test to find & confirm it is there. Seb is the only tester that was bothered by it. Voodoodx chose the 8k & has had the 5k+ available to use & doesn’t.

2 Likes

We already knew this 80hz vs 90hz. :wink:

2 Likes

Actually pimax only made the 8k; the 5k was a community suggestion. That if I recall correctly @Davobkk might have Been the first to suggest the idea (long before thr kickstarter)

1.3ms difference maximum.

2 Likes

& now we have others whom disagree on the 5k+ being better after sampling both in terms if clarity. Personal preference being the deciding factor.

Better Contrast Ratio as well on the 8k.

1 Like

i think sebastians adult beverages also add a bit of latency, to keep it scientific :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

The curious thing is that Sebastian already proved that this is not the case the first time that a game reached the maximum of hertz per second without loss of frames.

2 Likes

I’m relieved to hear that. I also have requested an 8K. Even with a bit of lag, I think it will be fine for a seated game, like Elite Dangerous. Certainly, the blacks will be improved (compared to the 5K+) which is important for such a dark game.

6 Likes

Not necessarily true, if the upscaler was buffering 1 frame and take 1 frame to process it this would mean your still at 80hz per seconds but 25ms (~2 frames) in delay overall vs the inputs

Numbers are just an example… and this would effectively by detected by rapid movements from the headset.

2 Likes

@yanfeng you still prefer the 5k+ over the 8k even in Elite Dangerous?

1 Like

i think you will be fine standing also, allmost nobody noticed it and if your not going crazy with your head…
heavy metal fans must go for 5k+ i think

3 Likes

I went to the LA meetup and the differences are honestly minor. In actual use they are a stones throw from each other. Yes the 5K+ is clearer but the 8K is still very clear as well. If you care about SDE and being able to see pixels get a 8k, if sharpness is job one for you get a 5k+. I was hoping one would be clearly better but I did not see that to be the case at all.

11 Likes

Yes, in the end you are right. The differences seem to be very small. Both are better than anything else available right now.

(If the FOV is the game changer like everyone says. Unluckily, I didn’t get the opportunity to see for myself, yet.)

1 Like

Yes though pimax website says MTP <15ms

1 Like

There is a buffer, are you sure? In any case, that’s not 80Hz to me.
In addition, the delay would be getting more and more noticeable.

1 Like

Like I said number of skiped frames only given as an example. MTP must be measured correctly

1 Like

80hz is not a latency measure it’s a rate, buffers don’t necessary influence rate. I have a HIFI audio buffer ( Gives 2 seconds delays) dedicated to reduce jitters and improve sound but it’s still 44.1hz audio…

There is a buffer somewhere but the size of this buffer is not necessarily one frame. One thing is sure conceptual the 8K has more latency then the 5K+, discernible more? I don’t know…

4 Likes

I got a few people from the chicago meetup to confirm the 8k latency, (and on a couple impressions videos). Though it may get edited out of the videos by pimax. Totally guessing the 20ms figure for latency on 8k over 5k+! Guessing based on old oculus dk2 days, wish I had a testing device or software to simulate hmd latency. I could artificially increase the latency on the 5k+ to give you more accurate number for when it starts to look like 8k.

In general both are still really great headsets, and best available. But i’d still go 5k+. A few backers tested elite back to back on both and agreed the 5k+ has a lot better text readability, clarity, less sde, and lower latency (after I showed what I saw with star test wobble). I got many impressions videos that pimax should post soon.

2 Likes

Will I notice the latency/wobble as a Vive/Rift user? It appears to get others to see this issue, there needs to be some headset swapping and intent to see it. As someone who has a Vive and Rift, and uses them regularly, will I notice the wobble going from my headsets to the 8k, without ever comparing it to the 5k+ ?

Im not so worried about text in Elite. As I said, I use current gen headsets and have no problem reading the text in them, in Elite, right now, so given the 8k will/is better than the Vive/Rift the 8k will always be an improvement

1 Like