8k vs 5k: is "bad" image due to the scaler?

That is a risk of any investment. Look at the 3d spatial audio headset. Successful kickstarter but company collapsed as they under estimated funding needed. Made a 100 headsets & shipped none.

Yep. I backed the Ossic X. Watching them globe trot at show after show instead of making the damn hardware was maddening.

3 Likes

Yeah, but my friends already think I’m crazy for having pledged $529+ (I can’t remember the add-ons and conversion rate right now) for a headset that might never happen.

If i’d put thousands in, I’m pretty sure they’d be right. Numbers that big need to go into more secure investments :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No, he was already disappointed by not receiving what he expected, more now that Pimax make us choose between two evils (SDE or Clarity) I think that also somewhat disappointed with the RV in general. It seems to me that he will go on to play on a good monitor with the playstation 4 without VR.

2 Likes

I hear you there VR is still a mix bag with Developers & tech.

CRT dot patterns are distinct from subpixels, though. Their spread on the phosphor is based on the arrangement of the electron guns (one per colour, tightly arranged in a triangle cluster referred to as a delta gun), and you’ll have a much finer mask for the dots than you support sweeps (the monitor doesn’t have a pixel concept). Here’s a neat documentary on CRTs.

1 Like

I tried to get more details on 8k scaler by contacting the company making the ANX7530 but they couldn’t send me docs unfortunately. I think that if scaler can be configured there is room for improvement.

Found an interesting read on 8k scaling with examples:

1 Like

How very 70’s. I fricken love that. XD
Can I get those delta guns on my rocket motorcycle?

1 Like

I am not an expert on the subject of upscalers or the 4K, but I have a few points to bring up.

The issue may or may not be the upscaler. It doesn’t matter how good the scaler was in the 4K unless the 8K is using the same scaler with the same input resolution. I seriously doubt that would be the case.

From what I have heard, scalers will typically work better with even multiples (ie 1080 x 2 = 2160) as opposed to odd multiples (ie 1440 x 1.5 = 2160). The 4K upscaler would probably perform well with an input resolution of 1080p. Don’t quote me on that though.

TLDR: No one knows anything (not even me), so everyone (not just S-Jeff) should make it clear that things are unclear.

1 Like

Also the 8k has two screens, so the scaler has to cut 1440 image in two and then upscale both parts to 4k.

1 Like

Of course I agree. I’ve just posted Pimax 4k example pics because I’ve read several people here claiming that upscaling is always a bad thing because “if you upscale a monitor it looks bad too”.

4k works very fine with 1440p.

The Pimax 4K scaler was initially run in 1:2 (1080p source) but was reconfigured to 2:3 (1440p, same as Pimax 8K) with a firmware update. The Pimax 8K scaler is run quite a bit faster, however. Analogix make the DP receiver Pimax use, but I don’t recall seeing any confirmation who make the scaler.

3 Likes

The original technical reason for the arrangement is rather immaterial in our context, though. The point was that it exists, and by all evidence so far seems to be in use on the 8k screens - that or something similar. It does argueably have the thing speaking for it, that you can draw straight unjagged lines in 60 degree intervals, as opposed to 90, with square pixels, which could be said to lend itself well to non-othographic imagery, as possibly (…together with the softening from the upscaling) evidenced by the reaction some people have to the 8k and 5k+…

It also looks to me, from many of the through-the-lens photos, like the 8k, although having a tighter dot-pitch, may have a lower fill factor, than the 5k+.

Out of curiosity, is there any clear consensus on whether DP1.4 could reliable deal with more than the dual 1440 streams @80hz or so? Also, how many FW updates have there been over the life of the unit?

It’s all of this future speculation that has killed my decision process. If Pimax would just chime in here and just say something like. ‘yeah- we’re working on better reprojection and we’re gonna improve the SS process with future firmware updates’…

1 Like

I though ANX7530 included a scaler.

Another good improvement would be to use Brainwarp to send one picture alternatively to each screen.

The bridgechip in the 4k was the Toshiba one used in rift & vive.

How do you know? The type is not mentioned in the FW. I don’t think I saw a chip which clearly was identifiable as scaler from a certain company neither.

Not from tge original release info. The new anx7538/9 sloted for 2019 however does have a scaler built in.

If that is at me. Scaler detail is not known. If you still have it somewhat dismantled could try a chip by chip search on the inet if the chips are identifiable.

Asks not to be quoted… and gets quoted :smirk:. I know almost nothing about the 4K, so I don’t want my speculation spread to the wind.

Thanks for the resolution clarification, though.

1 Like