8k vs 5k: is "bad" image due to the scaler?

Yeah keep making up all kinds of allegations to make me look bad. You not even once posted proof of any of your allegations (and there have been quite a few from you lately). I really dont understand why you’re going so low to do all that and make stuff up to accuse people of all kinds of things, just because you differ from opinion.

1 Like

I don’t need to; your doing fine.

1 Like

are you talking about m1 or m2?

That is an interesting theory, it would explainwhy the SDE looks so bad on the 8k…if it isnt just the space between the pixels we are seeing but also pixels that are ‘black’.

1 Like

But many were also tempted to switch to the 5k+. The opinion that the 5k+ had better picture quality was expressed often.
But yes, nearly everyone was positive about both headsets, with most of the people sticking with the 8k sticking due to prioritisation of SDE.

You should also bear in mind that the reviews were done after much more exposure to the 8k and 5k+. While we shouldn’t ignore the opinions of those who went to Berlin, they did not have the time to try as many games and settings as the M2 testers.

I’m sure that if I didn’t have the ability to switch headsets, I’d still have a nice HMD, however we are being given a choice and so far the bulk of the evidence appears to be screaming “5k+!”

1 Like

M1 as they haven’t had an opportunity to hsnds on the m2 unfortunately.

Ok thanks, I had an 4k also. Exept from the gosting was really happy with the display quality, indeed sharp. I sold it when i backed, before the delay’s of the 8k. Now i have an Lenovo explorer to kill the waiting time for several months :slight_smile:. I prefer the 4k, if it’s true the 8k is significantly more blured, i will choose for the sharpness of the 5k i think with some screendoor…

You really don’t need any help…

1 Like

Well at least I’m not making up random accusations to insult people, just because I have a different opinion with them on a forum. I don’t think I’d ever go that low. Honestly. I may be stubborn and I might be an ass sometimes, but that kind of stuff is just not who I am, not even on the internet.

1 Like

Ah, you’re talking of the diagonal stripe effect. Sorry about my confusion. The diagonal strip effect is interesting. I don’t think it’s a scaler artifact, but a panel property. The main indicator I could point at is that the stripes have a predominant direction; they’re going NE-SW, not so much NW-SE, and at an angle that would be hard to reproduce with a per-pixel pattern. As @SweViver has shown the lenses are easily removable, I’d love to see a good magnified shot of the panel itself. This might not be possible with a phone camera but should be doable with a long work distance USB microscope (the challenge is finding one that can focus over 40mm away). A full camera could also work since this would be without the Pimax lens. The XO-1 RGB display shows an example of how a dot pattern can cause this sort of effect. That display doesn’t have full RGB per pixel, and mapping its dot pattern to square distinct pixels would lead every pixel to have an extra subpixel of some colour. It’s also possible the 8K panel uses angled stripe subpixels, which may or may not rotate per row. I just haven’t seen close enough.

1 Like

Yes, they told us that the lenses should be closer to the panels, then they called the unit back and said that the lenses had scratches. Well, we had just one lens out, without stains or scratchs even the last day, and we could see clearly text, well focused, in paper (we have a lot of photografs)

Anyway, at the end none of us will sell anything at this moment.
If xunshu send us our own units in the first batch, NeoSkynet will have a M2 Pimax 8K, Guancho a M2 Pimax 5K+ and he has a Pimax 4K too.

So maybe we will be able to compare the two versions.

1 Like

it looks if the scaler inside the 8K does some kind off Anti Aliasing and with the ingame settting also set with Anti Aliasing on ,so it blurry s the picture…

1 Like

So was Sj incorrect then that one of your team sold their pledge?

That’s good to hear you & your team will be able to do a 3way compare. Though agreed it would have been better to have this prior to the 16th nda lift and as some backers have expressed more testers to weigh in on deciding.

On the otherhand is true as well perhaps even now too much to make a choice. In a perfect scenario we all could go & see for ourselves.

Though this eq would be a nice testing toy. Showed it off long ago.

http://www.optofidelity.com/test-solutions/rd-testing/virtual-reality-performance-testing/?gclid=CjwKCAjwxILdBRBqEiwAHL2R84Dnbct9czb05RhiU5T7ZVXrCwqlMN-1lK3JLfRHP74FE9k8WWfLlRoC9ssQAvD_BwE

1 Like

Scroll down to “Color CRTs” and compare the two pictures.

I guess one forum member or two may be too young to remember pre-Trinitron television sets…

1 Like

I guess this is partly due to the fact that most of us wanted shipping to begin before software was finalised. It may be the case that the current state of the software is affecting our decision.

But either way, I’m excited for the 5k+ now. If the 8k changes before I need to finalise, then I’ll have to rethink.

1 Like

I am definitely old enough. Trinitron meant 2 things. Nice picture & heavy to move. I remember the older fuzzy pictures.

My Mom’s BF wasn’t a TV watcher until I gave them a nice 1080p 24" TV only 60hz. But now he watches more TV than Ma. Lol

2 Likes

No, @Sjef asked me privately if they would send us the m2 at the end and I told him that they would be the final units and that at least one of the testers planned to sell them. At the moment he won’t do it without trying them out first, if he doesn’t change his mind.

2 Likes

It makes it hard for sure. Can things be fixed in the software? Maybe yes & maybe no all things eventually hit a ceiling.

Definitely a lot more accurate than what was posted. I am sure some folks even bought into the Kickstarter banking on selling on the potenial success. Even if only order a single headset.

I know if I could have swung a vr party or buying pledges. I would keep the 2 I ordered 5k & 8k. And sold some to reduce costs of my purchase after ks shipment of all accessories.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/323448394035?item=323448394035&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Would definitely reduce your costs, but would also be increasing your exposure to risk in the case of failure.

1 Like