8k vs 5k: is "bad" image due to the scaler?

Scaling isn’t bad per se. There are lots of well proven cases besides the 4k.

The Apple (much overpriced though) lightning to hdmi cable has an inbuild scaler that actually does a decent job.
Or the cable that Linus tested quite a while ago.

But like everything it need to be done right without over- compromising.

3 Likes

Just watch the photo’s by the 3 musketeers. In some the Vive Pro looks better (I think it was Voodoo’s review) in others the Pimax 5k looks slightly better

List of people please. I’m calling BS on “many people are saying.”

1 Like

If only the testers whom have the Pimax 4K could have gotten themselves some M2’s before these reviews were released.

Even the ones that did would do well to try one out just to see the SDE/clarity results.

Disregard the ghosting, etc.

2 Likes

I understand what you say, but look at the following image:

Imgur

In that image I observe that the interpolated color is not the correct or even black, and is generating a fictitious grid.

If you compare these images:

http://community.openmr.ai/uploads/default/original/2X/4/4888910c3d8b810b7ea4f61dc988bbbb14b65600.jpg

http://community.openmr.ai/uploads/default/original/2X/4/463b480b0cd50295ef79dd7b458d5ac3312b850f.jpg

When you put them in full screen, fixing inside the red triangle you can see that there are white lines? I do not think it is the SDE more than anything because it is an 8k vs 5k + screen, is the interpolator putting white pixels instead of red?

The same thing happens with the letters, it seems that there are white bars, is the interpolator putting white instead of red? if it were SDE it would be black.

I think the interpolator is crazy and is not sending the correct colors, it does when it has more or less easy images (sky example) as soon as there is contrast between 2 colors filled with white, black, who knows.

4 Likes

Well the Spanish team were the only testers who had a Pimax 4k to compare. But Xunshu promised to start shippping ‘soon’. Let’s hope that not everybody switches to the 5k, because then we’ll never know. I’ve heard the Spanish team isnt even interested in the Pimax 8k at all anymore and judging by the polls they’re not alone. So I’m not sure if there will even be Pimax 4k users among the first backers who are getting a Pimax 8k.

Well, I should be in the running for one on Pimax time.

1 Like

If the panels and lenses haven’t changed, which I don’t think they have, the 4K images look incredibly sharper compared to the 8K. That they aren’t fresnel lenses and that they have a little less magnification also has something to do with it, but the clarity is incredible, despite being a scaled image as well.

2 Likes

Really dude?

You really can’t stake any of your assertions on anything while saying we don’t have facts. You don’t get to have both of those things. You have written a small novella across these boards because you have given yourself this luxury. We understand you THINK it’s within the panel and you THINK it’s not the upscaler and you THINK the testers from Spain were blackballed because they unmasked a conspiracy which shows the 4K’s scaler out-performing the 8K. The display is one suspect. But as you said in your post.

There are several other possible culprits. Complications and demands of 2x the resource draw over a single cable, the infancy of the 8K software development, and it could also be (regrettably) that the 8K in it’s current physical config will never climb out of the debt it incurs to deliver it’s performance fully upscaled.

And I am being at least 50% cheeky about the conspiracy thing. I think there are useful observations in your posts with the 4K footage. But you are also making leaps and continuing with strong assertions based on those leaps. Finally, I have to question why you have been driven to write a novella’s worth of stuff on this forum. Unless I missed something, you sold your pledge, yes? Are you trying to convince yourself you did the right thing? Are you trying to convince the lot of us we should do the same? After all these posts, I am honestly compelled to call your motives to question. Normally I would write this off as ‘because internet’ but there is a group of us under a time constraint to make a very (at least to us) critical decision on limited facts. If you are on some crusade to perhaps justify your actions, or strike back at Pimax or something else- I dunno maybe you just like to argue- I don’t think I am overstepping any boundaries in speaking for the community in saying it’s really no longer welcome. You may in fact be wrongly influencing people.

6 Likes

Don’t forget there are 2 screens to upscale here.
If the pixels (results of upscaling) aren’t matching well on left/right panel, especially in the binocular vision area… i.e. in the all damn (but huge) sweetspot!

Then, upscaling could become a bad idea (for 2 screens). And more blur or less clarity we have!

1 Like

Well at least I’m the one admitting that it’s a guess until we have hard facts. The others seem CERTAIN already that it’s the upscaler. I’ve even seen tons of people here already claiming that upscaling simply can NEVER work good and that that’s the reason why the pimax 8k is so bad. Complete and utter nonsense, that’s why I posted the Pimax 4k pics so people can see for themselves that upscaling works REALLY good on the Pimax 4k.

2 Likes

Indeed first Gen 4k TVs with Hdmi 1.4 first introduced a cable with upscaling that worked well. Some folks bought these type of cables & used them on psvr but at a cost of $100 i believe. Contextual Anti Aliasing if mem serves. But of course we’re still in subjective view of each person as to whether it’s good enough or not. :laughing:

Actually I was told they were unsure as well which to choose. Unless they recently made that choice.

I was told one of them already sold his pledge, others lost interest in the 8k and others are still indecisive.

Remember though they did say there was issues with your model & that the panel needed to be moved closer was it?

Look these image on video, but don’t notice about them too much until read this topic and try to open at the full size on my desktop and capture.

5k+

Which is far different from what you initially said.

In quite a few pics the 8k actually seems to have more SDE than the 5k. Really horrible pics, I’m really not sure why people like @heliosurge keep defending those pics. Other than that he’s the Pimax forum admin of course

2 Likes

You really made a hobby out of making allegations without posting links. I never said it was sure that it’s panel utilization. In fact I’ve pretty much always said it’s unsure until we measure the panels. What I did say is that I think it’s much more likely that than the scaler.

Keep twisting things.

What we need is a non Rendered pic at native input to compare properly.