8k+ first user impressions by @neonrazor

I do have the index lenses right up as close as they go and yes the FOV is better on the index than quest but it was an overall score and for me the put it on and play of the quest beats the small increase in FOV against the Index.

5 Likes

Are you using normal FOV or wide FOV on the Pimax generally?

Edit (just thought of another question) - Do you get much fogging of the lenses and heat problems with the new comfort kit?

4 Likes

I’m using 12288 and I haven’t run into a problem, so you might try that value. You really only want to set the value in one file. SteamVR will overwrite one of them on the next update and it will delete the custom setting in the other if it matches the SteamVR default.

One of the files starts with “000”: “DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE TO CHANGE YOUR PERSONAL SETTINGS.” You should edit the other one, in C:\Users\ user-name \AppData\Local\openvr\steamvr.vrsettings (on my system, the location can vary).

5 Likes

See, for me it is the other way around, mine is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config

You find it out by opening command console and execute vrpathreg.exe

Then it posts you the Config path. Edit the file steamvr.settings in there

settings

It’s an absolute must. People who compare the Pimax on large FOV without doing this first will see a much worse picture quality than is possible and get a false idea. Happened in comparison tests in the IL-2 community, I’ve had a guy tell me the 5K+ would have Vive picture quality so he got an Index. Ironically he blamed Pimax for it…

This issue has way too little exposure tbh.

P.S. Thanks for the review, very interesting!

7 Likes

a picture is worth at least 20 characters. please post:grinning:

3 Likes

A picture of my Steam VR Home? It’s just stuff from the workshop like a Gotham City background and the standard high rise apartment with the pool on the balcony. The one I like most is my Oculus Home which I leave open to any of my friends to explore freely so if you have an Oculus account you can most likely just pop in! [;]-)

4 Likes

@neonrazor @SweViver What’s your Steam VR render resolution?

2 Likes

Maybe we could get a Button and a field for it in PiMax? (Should be possible) Set Max Resolution to and then a slider from 4xxx to 16xxx?
Might need some heads up from the engineering team about the whole matter @SweViver

And when I am on it maybe a lighthouse sleep button/wake button also :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the issue is the steam overwrites these settings when ever there is a steamVR update?

Like @neal_white_iii said that depends…

But the button in what ever case would allow a simple automatic editing of the file wit one click, instead of users doing it by hand - which requires some expertise and also causes questions and possible errors.
Nice would be if steam just pumped it up them self’s.

3 Likes

true, why isn’t pimax requesting this?

2 Likes

I think we only need 1 button to set it at some reasonable max. I use 12288, which seems to work well.

There are 2 different settings files: a default and an override. Steam only overwrites the defaults. The override file is called “steamvr.vrsettings”.

3 Likes

I don’t think a button is the right idea, just another setting we users have to contend with and most will not touch it or not know what it does leading to a degraded experience. The reality is it should be automatically done without any user input, steam should in no way artificially limit the max resolution of Pimax headsets. This should be a top priority for Pimax engineers to solve.

6 Likes

At CES 2020 There is a surprise from Pimax

Pimax 8K+ is 110 hz

Hopefully also Pimax 8K X in dual engine mode

and we have a new Pimax 5K+ Ruggedized at SUPER 180 HZ

Artisan is 120 hz at 449$

This is how i read Pimax new Homepage website

8 Likes

Pretty Cool imho!
Support is ramping up, hope production also, could and should be a good year for Pimax!

10 Likes

I think you are correct on the 449 - 120 hz being the artisan at 449 usd since it has a blue chaperone like the teaser image: New Pimax 'Artisan' Headset Mysteriously Unveiled Ahead of CES – Road to VR
And the 449 fits with the suprise ?49 usd price.
And not to forget the non MAS headstrap.

3 Likes

Artisan going against Oculus rift S same price. Who wins ? Artisan

New Pimax 5k+ SUPER 180 Hz going against Valve Index. Who wins ? Pimax 5K+ SUPER 180 Hz

Pimax 8K + 110 Hz is a project against SDE

Pimax 8K X High end Headset

4 Likes

Don’t forget that is hmd only. Nolo as far as i see costs 200 usd so suppose Pimax get a discount then it would be 600 usd for a full set. Still the hmd specs are better, but controllers are way worse.

2 Likes

Kinda seen the good signs as wel. Though not everyone agrees.

3 Likes

And index is $499 headset only. Artisan supposedly has the same resolution (but over a wider fov)
If it was 4K then it would be a no brainer, but it’s not.

Also these high hz are probably their brainwarp tech and the screens are not truly running at these refresh rates. Will be interesting to see how well it works.

1 Like