5k+ 202 series can try 110hz now. beta testing firmware to be released after CES

I really like 120hz. For certain games it makes a big difference. Think it’s one of those things where mileage is going to vary though and come down to subjective experience.

I want it all, hah. Give me 4k native res, large FOV, 200hz+. The sooner we get more graphics horsepower and cable througput the better!

6 Likes

Are you sure you can relate the 202 series to the black dot problem? I never had black dot on the 2 5K+ units I had… if sub part LCD are the reason for those problems a RMA should be considered…

1 Like

My 202 has the black dots. They don’t bother me much. You can see them on pictures with mainly one single color (loading screens). You don’t see them when actually playing. I’d rather have a non 202 and 120hz but I am still very happy with my 5K+. I just played some more Dirt Rally 2.0.
Wide FOV, crisp image and a FFB wheel. It doesn’t get much better. At least in Dirt Rally you absultely don’t need more resulotion anymore.
Don’t get me wrong, mpre is allways better and the 8KX will be great but plkaying it with the 5K+ is great whereas playing racing games with the Vive was fun but you couldn’t see corners comming.

3 Likes

@Heliosurge, any news on the subject?

After the last “response” from Pimax (https://community.openmr.ai/t/questions-answers-jan-2020/24792):

Feature Updates

Q1. Can we have an update on 5k+ 120hz mode for serial # 202(aka black dot version)? If this version of 5k+ will not support 120hz can we RMA?

Answer: A compromise solution to this will update in the future.

it seems the latest PiTool changed the behavior from “not working” to “not working with a black screen”.

5 Likes

I haven’t heard anything on this as of yet. @Konger @PimaxQuorra

Hello Risa,

So currently you got hte 5K + BE?
And you can’t scale it to 120hz?
We will pass this question to technical support, and will get back to you shortly!

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
Quorra.Pimax

It’s not a BE but from the first batch release of 5k+ serial 202 have not been able to use 120hz. This was the series pimax had an issue with some of the panels having very noticeable blackdot pattern.

2 Likes

Hello pal,

Thanks for informing that, with this series problem, we are figuring out the solution for @risa2000
Please wait for the reply. Will get back to you ASAP!

Cheers,
Quorra.Pimax

2 Likes

Dear all
The team tried their best, although there still some minor side effect. But at least 5k+ 202 series can try 110hz now. We will release the beta testing firmware after CES.

Thank for your patience!

14 Likes

That’s a great news!! Thank you

3 Likes

I think the term is “throughput” :wink:

2 Likes

Ah yeah, my spell check must have auto corrected and I didn’t notice.

1 Like

to be fair Valve “silently” fixed click-gate.

2 Likes

And when Folks noticed Black dots on the Index they said it’s not an issue.

Pimax said the same until it was found the supplier had a wide inconsistency in sizing. My og 202 wasn’t that noticeable compared to others.

but black dots is a feature to increase perceived black level!

Ah ok. I have a 202 and will try this 110Hz when back. I also have black dots. I guess it’s a side effect of being first :slight_smile:

[Again, before someone comes in all mad and stuff, I AM NOT ASKING FOR AN RMA RIGHT NOW :slight_smile: :slight_smile: ]

1 Like

Well not entirely. They still have an issue with the left ministack sticking at 6 o’clock and not travelling all the way to 12 o’clock. In the process of an RMA myself and the Valve forum has 6 pages of others with the issue.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sold because, I can run most games at full fps at 72 Hz normal. I saw no need to reduce fov for a game like Assetto when it already ran great.
I did find myself hooked on Small@ 120 Hz for Dirt rally 2 though. It is just so smooth and in return makes the car handling a dream. I’m in.

1 Like

Did I miss some update? Can we (202 owners) use 110hz already?

1 Like

The new pitool/firmware is not out yet, but here’s the announcement:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/5k-202-series-can-try-110hz-now-beta-testing-firmware-to-be-released-after-ces/24462/69?u=trevorvr

2 Likes