5k+ 202 series can try 110hz now. beta testing firmware to be released after CES

How is your impression with 120Hz. Is it a big game changer for you?
Also does 120Hz force you to drastically lower your graphic settings?
I never tried it but I think 90hz clear picture with supersampling >>> 120hz lower quality picture. Am I right?

I bought my pimax in June 2019 and received 202 series. I paid full price and I can’t use 120hz, because of lower quality lenses… Why should I accept bad quality product for the same price as a good one? I didn’t know there is a lottery and I can get pimax with worse lenses.
I think it’s a BS and is there any way to replace my pimax for 203 series?

2 Likes

Did you buy it from Pimax or on ebay? I doubt that 202s were produced at that time, so if it came from Pimax, you might got an “old stock”. You can check the manufacturing year and week in the S/N (https://community.openmr.ai/t/replied-how-to-check-sku/15475/12) and report here.

1 Like

202600 9 17 xxxxx

I bought it on amazon, new, and seller was pimax us.
Can I do something with it?

1 Like

Bad quality lenses? You mean the display panels, right? I do not know of there having been any lens revisions post launch, and fail to see how they could possibly affect refresh rate, at any… err… rate.

Different specced screens, however… (EDIT: Note that different specifications, including lower refresh rate on one screen than another, is not indicative of quality, as such.)

1 Like

I would recommend Pimax to compensate somehow whoever got the 202xxxxxx series. I don’t like this kind of practice.
@PimaxVR

@Culver9 you can file a support ticket and complain if you like. There’s no guarantee though that they’ll be sympathetic.

5 Likes

I’m sorry, I was talking about display panels. Still why should I paid full price for worse panels?

1 Like

We all keep asking ourselves that. :7

One often get the impression that we’re dealing with the infamous methodology among build-it-cheap manifacturers, of chasing cheapest-daily prices on “more-or-less-comparable” components, to what was specified in design documents. Don’t know if that is an unfair impression, or stumbling right upon the truth of the matter… :stuck_out_tongue:

If they sold you one of the early revisions, after they had supposedly phased those out, I think you should have a good complaints case. :7

4 Likes

Thank you @jojon I will definitely try to file a ticket. We will see :wink:

How about my first question. Did anyone try 120hz? What’s the impression.

The 202 serial is concerning.

I haven’t verified which 5k+ serial I have yet. As I generally prefer the 8k.

Now that being said the 120hz mode on 5k+ is available on reduced FoV. @DrWilken had posted horizontal FoV sizes at 120hz. Truth it will depend on what you play & how sensitive you are to refresh rates.

They are currently evaluating the 5k+ 120hz mode & will hopefully report on this in the near Future.

2 Likes

I wouldnt worry about 120hz mod. It can be useful for watching 60frames movies on youtube, but imho isnt suitable for gaming. In 120 mod you decrease your fow even lower than regular ‘normal’, paying additional need to render 120 frames with no such a big benefit? I didnt liked 120hz mod, its just not a good trade off as i preffer to play normal/high fov

5 Likes

Thank you @industria Small FOV in 120hz mode is a little bummer. Probably to keep high % supersampling and ultra graphic, I would need to use smart smoothing on 120hz mode. Do you think fake 120hz (ss on) is better than real 90hz? How big performance hit is on 120hz?

1 Like

As an earlier backer, i too am stuck with the 90 hz model. But while that sucks the product description when kickstarted was 90hz at native res. They met that standard. Cant complain when we get what we paid for.

6 Likes

That is true also.

2 Likes

Ill be honest with you, in iRacing i couldnt see any difference between 90 and 120 real frames without ss, as i wouldnt do watching a desctop monitor in 90 vs 120 hz. Smartsmoothing didnt ever bothered me too. What i noticed - is a much lower fov than it used to be. I have no idea why would someone bother yourself with 120hz and low fov, pimax is made with a big fov in mind and i wouldnt recommend anyone to buy pimax to play with lowest FOV :slight_smile:

2 Likes

large fov at 120 is the same as normal fov at < 120.

which isn’t bad and it IS noticible. A game where you can only pull off 60 fps(like project cars) looks smooth as butter with brain warp at 120

1 Like

I don’t believe there was a revision of the lenses was there? Only later units were calibrated right?

1 Like

lowest fov is still wider than other headsets including the index. And you’d be surprised. somehow the resolution or binocular overlap seems much better at small.

2 Likes

My display port extension does not work with 120Hz so it is a dealbreaker for me. However, I think 120hz mode has this weird sense of increased clarity, and I can absolutely notice the difference. I would be bummed to not have it - but I mainly play at 90hz without smart smoothing in normal FOV still.

1 Like

Same. I think simply better calibration with tighter tolerances. There was likely wider variances in the process affecting position of lenses to screens & even screen alignment.

1 Like

Now this really makes me jealous. Apparently 120hz with brain warp is a big deal.
There was old version of pimax 5k+ and new with fixed display panel. This is something I wish to know before buying.
Selling panels with black dots, while there was already new, fixed model in stock is unfair.